LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I remember that, and how it was being reported as a done deal. Then it was torpedoed at the last minute. I was pissed about that. And Reeves was too. IIRC he made it known to the media that he wasn't happy how that went down.

I wonder if that is why Wade torpedoed Dom Capers coming here because of that? Wade wanted Reeves; Garrett wanted Capers.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Never liked him.

I thought he was brought in as Jones' boy and if the backlash wouldn't have been bad enough to hire him immediately as head coach, he would have been our fucking Lane Kiffin.

He basically knifed Phillips in the back and nobody ever calls him out on it.

He's a complete fraud, getting by on slime and his family name. Tragic thing, Jim Garrett was a fucking idiot too.

Yep. I recall Jamie Dukes on NFL Network sort of insinuated it. But that was the closest anyone in the media got to calling Garrett out on that.

But I think a lot of coaches and owners have suspicions, and as such, I don't think Garret would ever get another coaching gig --- OC, HC, or QB coach, in the NFL. It's pretty much the elephant in the room.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
But what sealed it for me, was after Wade was fired, and Garrett was made interim HC. The game was against the Patriots in New England. Less than 3 minuted left in the game. Cowboys have the ball and are up by 3 points (FG). Garrett calls three straight run plays right into the teeth of the Patriots defense --- right at Vince Wilfork in fact. Run plays get stuffed, punt. Belicek gets the ball back, and Brady marches it down the field for a TD. Garrett thought that he could sit on those 3 points against Belicek in New England, with little less than 3 minutes left. We ended up losing the game of course.

That was the season after Wade was fired. And the game plan in NE was ultra-cautious that day because Tony threw those hideous picks vs Detroit and lost the game.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Tragic thing, Jim Garrett was a fucking idiot too.

Any of you remember the Hard Knocks episode, where they showed him INCHING about the track, and they were trying to convince us that even at his advanced age, he "jogs" x-amount of miles a day? Pathetic.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You don't run a play. But that's exactly Garrett did. A toss to Choice, who then fumbles, and Hall scoops it up and returns it for a TD. It was the difference maker,
AND they made Choice the scapegoat, pretty much benching him the rest of the game then greatly reducing his touches the rest of the season as I recall. Garrett's pattern of throwing players under the bus and in the doghouse began.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I wonder if that is why Wade torpedoed Dom Capers coming here because of that? Wade wanted Reeves; Garrett wanted Capers.

That was before the Reeves episode, wasn't it? Pretty sure.

But Wade didn't want Capers because it was ridiculous. He's a better DC than Capers anyway, and they don't even run the same system. That was simply Garrett trying to get his coaching staff in place for when he took over.

Kind of like when Sparano left and Wade wanted Mike Solari but Garrett wanted old man Houck, and of course Jerry hired Houck. Tim McMahon or someone with ESPN or the DMN even wrote an article about how it looked for all the world like Jerry was hiring a bunch of assistants ready-made for Garrett to take over even though he was still just the OC. Which is exactly what it was.

Reaction score

Wade wanted Capers but Brian Stewart didn't feel comfortable having his former coach on the team. Stewart's DC role eventually was stripped from him.

Reaction score
in 2007, Red was a candidate for the job along with Wade, but prescient bbgun smelled trouble:

Error | Dallas Cowboys Forum - CowboysZone.com

shame on Bob:

in 2009, the Broncos were sniffing around Red, instilling panic in dbair:

That old thread really tells it all about Reality and that Borg Collective he runs. All of the realists who were banned were 100% spot on with their predictions. "In times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - Orwell, who obviously knew guys like Reality quite well.

I was quite vocal at the time that Wade was canned that the entire fuckin' staff should have been fired including Garrett. Has there ever been a weaker resume' to get hired in the NFL as a head coach? I can't think of any. But then again Jerry is the type that sees an 0-16 on a resume' and says, "oh yeah! get me some of that!"

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The PC introducing Garrett as HC gave me some hope. If I remember correctly, Jerry made a point of saying multiple times that there wouldn't be a player on the team that Jason didn't approve of. It was like Jerry was going to back off and let Jason run the show. It was anybody but Jerry at that point.

Then it became abundantly clear that Garrett doesn't know his ass from his elbow.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
In Garrett's defense, I think Jerry makes him wear a headset with "if you're happy and you know it" on repeat during the games while he and Stephen coach the team.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I bought into his legend at first.
I really wanted to believe the whole "scrappy backup becomes genius OC,then HC for his former team" fairy tale.
Not sure if there was one single thing that turned me against this hand clapping fuck.
IDK,the mealy mouthed pressers,the throwing ppl under the bus,the horrible coaching decisions at the worst possible moment,or the three straight years of not being able to win one more fucking game to get over .500 much less make the playoffs.
All in all I wish he'd tried to build his legend in Ottawa.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure if there was one single thing that turned me against this hand clapping fuck.

Jerry-Jones-Jason-Garrett.jpg

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Is still, right? He hasn't passed, has he?

I remember him pimping that Todd Lowber kid years ago. Just raving about him... how you "have to find a way" to keep him.

Yeah.... gfy basically everyone last named Garrett.

Hey hey now. Don't speak ill of Judd, who still runs our pro personnel department.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Any of you remember the Hard Knocks episode, where they showed him INCHING about the track, and they were trying to convince us that even at his advanced age, he "jogs" x-amount of miles a day? Pathetic.

Worse was the dentured old fuck touting Lowber like he was Jerry Rice, mainly because he came from Jersey.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
What's funny is that Judd and John are actually more qualified to be head coaches in the NFL than Jason is.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was adamantly opposed to hiring Wade Phillips. It was absolutely the wrong hire after Parcells and I just knew the wheels would fall off sooner rather than later. Wade was so bad that I pushed hard for Garrett, not because I thought he was anything special, but because we needed a change from Wade.

I thought Garrett would have the know how to build the team and stress the things that Jimmy stressed in the 90's since Garrett had played for him and saw what it took to have a winning formula. The thing I never saw coming was the absolutely piss poor game and clock management which caused me to sour pretty early on. Plus, folks pointed out the flaws in Garrett's background and lack of experience and that probably helped sway my opinion fairly quickly after what I was seeing on the field.

One thing I never bought into was the "building" part of Garrett's job. That was baloney and no one has a long term building project in today's NFL. Once you find a QB, you have a shot. We had that and I just couldn't understand the constant 8 and 8 and blowing games. I'll take a high school coach over Garrett tomorrow and I wouldn't even blink an eye.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
I was adamantly opposed to hiring Wade Phillips. It was absolutely the wrong hire after Parcells and I just knew the wheels would fall off sooner rather than later. Wade was so bad that I pushed hard for Garrett, not because I thought he was anything special, but because we needed a change from Wade.

I thought Garrett would have the know how to build the team and stress the things that Jimmy stressed in the 90's since Garrett had played for him and saw what it took to have a winning formula. The thing I never saw coming was the absolutely piss poor game and clock management which caused me to sour pretty early on. Plus, folks pointed out the flaws in Garrett's background and lack of experience and that probably helped sway my opinion fairly quickly after what I was seeing on the field.

One thing I never bought into was the "building" part of Garrett's job. That was baloney and no one has a long term building project in today's NFL. Once you find a QB, you have a shot. We had that and I just couldn't understand the constant 8 and 8 and blowing games. I'll take a high school coach over Garrett tomorrow and I wouldn't even blink an eye.

I agree 100%!!!!!! This pretty much sums me up to a tee.

Reaction score
Just to add fuel to the fire...

Garrett, the fucking risk averse shit that he is, runs a fucking fake punt down 24-0 after we have been eliminated for two weeks. Troll game is strong.

Reaction score
Is there any chance here that Jerry is worried, as he has said before, that if they let Jason go, he will go to a different team and succeed "and the other team will get all the benefit of all the training that they have given to Jason"? Is there a chance that with so many teams firing coaches like the Giants and Eagles etc that Jerry will wait for the smoke of all the hi rings and firings to clear before letting him go? I know it's extremely wishful and on top of that a little distorted to think that some other team would see any use for a "coach" who has harmed his own team at the most pivotal moments of games and seasons, but I could see Jerry believing his own delusion. It would make sense to keep tightly sealed the decision to move on and for Stephen and Jerry to stay in character to the media and fans until after majority of the teams have their coaches in place.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom