bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1484881999-worry-lead.jpg

Standing near the entrance to the Cowboys' locker room Sunday night, Jerry Jones was trying his best to put a positive spin on a devastating 34-31 season-ending loss to the Green Bay Packers.

The owner and general manager talked about what could have been had the game gone to overtime. He mentioned how the Cowboys played like a group capable of reaching the Super Bowl.

"I will say this, I know more about, and it's positive, what's in store for our future," Jones said. "I know a lot more because of that second half than I did before that second half.

"They showed me the core of this group is one of the best teams in the NFL."

Since a Super Bowl berth won't be happening this year, we're going to follow Jones' lead and share some reasons why he should be optimistic about 2017. But we're also going to deal in reality and provide some reasons why the Cowboys might not repeat their 13-win success.

Here are five reasons to worry:

1. Pass rush

It was the downfall during the 2014 playoff loss in Green Bay and it hasn't improved much since. It's tough to get an elite pass rusher without a top 10 pick, and one can't be obtained in free agency without breaking the bank. So how do the Cowboys get better in that area? Improved health for DeMarcus Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford is a good start. Using the 28th overall pick or possibly trading up in the first round could be a good way to land a quality defensive end.

2. Playmakers in secondary

The majority of the secondary is hitting free agency. The good news is that the price tag shouldn't be too high on any of them. But the Cowboys not only have to get younger on the back end, they need players that intercept passes. None of the Cowboys corners the last three years have finished with more than two interceptions in a season. If Dallas doesn't go defensive end at No. 28, cornerback seems like a good bet.

3. The division is strong

There aren't any easy wins in the NFC East. Every team won at least seven games in 2016. No other division can say that. And there's no reason to expect a drop off. Having Eli Manning, Kirk Cousins and Carson Wentz in the East means all four teams are at least solid at the game's most important position. In a year when the Cowboys had one of their best seasons in franchise history, they still finished only .500 in the division. Oh, and it's been 12 years since a team won the East in back-to-back seasons.

4. Lack of postseason success

When you're a franchise with five Vince Lombardi Trophies sitting at the entrance of your practice facility, it raises eye brows when you haven't reached the conference championship game in 21 years. There have been nine playoff appearances during that stretch and nothing better than divisional round exits. It's not like the franchise has been without talent. So why can't the Cowboys seem to take the next step? Every year they don't it becomes a bigger topic of conversation.

5. Tougher schedule in 2017

After going 4-12 in 2015 the Cowboys got the benefit of one of the NFL's weaker schedules. Going 13-3 means there will be more games against first place teams in 2017. As was already mentioned, the six division games will be no walk in the park. Instead of the schedule-makers giving them last place teams from the previous season, the Cowboys will get the teams playing Sunday for a spot in the Super Bowl, Green Bay and Atlanta.

Reaction score
Coaching is the biggest reason.

We have a talent base strong enough to win but our coach could fuck up a wet dream.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
5. Tougher schedule in 2017

After going 4-12 in 2015 the Cowboys got the benefit of one of the NFL's weaker schedules. Going 13-3 means there will be more games against first place teams in 2017. As was already mentioned, the six division games will be no walk in the park. Instead of the schedule-makers giving them last place teams from the previous season, the Cowboys will get the teams playing Sunday for a spot in the Super Bowl, Green Bay and Atlanta.

I wish people would quit putting crap like this out there.

Our "last place" schedule netted us games against the Niners and Bucs this year. The Bucs were bad (like us) in 2015, but much improved this past year.

Only 2 games of the 16 game schedule have anything to do with where you finish in the standings. Next year those games are Atlanta and Green Bay. I'd say the chances are Atlanta should be pretty good again next yr, GB you don't know about. Might depend on when we play them during the season.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
as of now david, the schedule looks harder. We play two first place teams versus two fourth place teams. We also played the 3 worst teams in the league, the Browns, the 49ers, and the Bears. The worst team we play next year is the Chargers (drafting 7th).

We play 7 games against returning playoff teams next year (Giants twice, Seahawks, Falcons, Packers, Chiefs, and Raiders) and 3 games against teams that barely missed the playoffs (Redskins twice, Broncos). The schedule is harder.

Now, I'm not really that worried about it. We played well against good teams this year. Also, because the rotations of playing the NFC West (every 3 years) and the AFC West (every 4 years) hit on the same year, it really limits the cold weather games we will have. We get Seattle, Green Bay, and Kansas City at home. No way we get all 3 NFC East opponents on the road late in the season and the AFC games are usually not at the end of the season, so we shouldn't have to travel to Denver too late.

Dak and Zeke will get better. Stephen has already said our off-season priority is improving the defense. Despite my constant fear about Jerry trying to take credit for the success and make a risky move, I am extremely optimistic about next year.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I doubt their regular season record next year will be as good as it was this year. That might actually be better though. I would have preferred they went into that last week of the season needing a win to clinch the NFC East. Then play the first playoff game at home. Because they're so young they would have been better off keeping their momentum going.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I would have preferred they went into that last week of the season needing a win to clinch the NFC East.

Well, our record in these games isn't exactly sterling, but your point remains.
The Carr and Mariota injuries scared the crap out of people heading for the playoffs.
Personally, I would have rather seen the Cowboys steamroll Philly and have everyone's last impression be that of a team tuning up for the playoffs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
as of now david, the schedule looks harder. We play two first place teams versus two fourth place teams. We also played the 3 worst teams in the league, the Browns, the 49ers, and the Bears. The worst team we play next year is the Chargers (drafting 7th).

We play 7 games against returning playoff teams next year (Giants twice, Seahawks, Falcons, Packers, Chiefs, and Raiders) and 3 games against teams that barely missed the playoffs (Redskins twice, Broncos). The schedule is harder.

Now, I'm not really that worried about it. We played well against good teams this year. Also, because the rotations of playing the NFC West (every 3 years) and the AFC West (every 4 years) hit on the same year, it really limits the cold weather games we will have. We get Seattle, Green Bay, and Kansas City at home. No way we get all 3 NFC East opponents on the road late in the season and the AFC games are usually not at the end of the season, so we shouldn't have to travel to Denver too late.

Dak and Zeke will get better. Stephen has already said our off-season priority is improving the defense. Despite my constant fear about Jerry trying to take credit for the success and make a risky move, I am extremely optimistic about next year.

I guess I just don't get hung up on how a schedule looks so far out, because a lot of stuff does change on a year to year basis.

On paper, yeah I guess it would appear harder. The AFC West is probably a better division than the AFC North, but going into last year everyone thought the AFC North (save the Browns) was pretty good too. The NFC West might not be tougher than the NFC North was this yr for us though, but that's debatable and a lot will depend on how the offseason goes.

It sux how this season ended, but I'm with you. Assuming they follow through on their talk of improving the defense we should be in good shape.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt their regular season record next year will be as good as it was this year. That might actually be better though. I would have preferred they went into that last week of the season needing a win to clinch the NFC East. Then play the first playoff game at home. Because they're so young they would have been better off keeping their momentum going.

I don't think momentum (or lack there of) had anything to do with what happened to us. Everyone had been waiting all year for the defense to get exposed and be really bad, and it finally reared its ugly head. Winning that last game of the season had nothing to do with how we'd have fared against GB. We lost because of a couple dumb mistakes and really awful pass defense.

Bushmaster78FS

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Since we play lots of playoff teams next season, this should give the opportunity to carrot top to learn better playoff game management.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't think momentum (or lack there of) had anything to do with what happened to us. Everyone had been waiting all year for the defense to get exposed and be really bad, and it finally reared its ugly head. Winning that last game of the season had nothing to do with how we'd have fared against GB. We lost because of a couple dumb mistakes and really awful pass defense.

True. I guess I just hate the fact that they were the #1 seed and the healthiest team in the playoffs and still shit the bed. I really hope Stephen does what he says and makes upgrading the defense the #1 priority. I know it will likely take a couple years to really get this defense where it needs to be but it would be fucking awesome if they had a defense the caliber of that 2007 team to go with the offense we have now.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

We didn't lose because of lack of momentum. Garrett would have still fucked shit up.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Since we play lots of playoff teams next season, this should give the opportunity to carrot top to learn better playoff game management.

Your optimism is touching. Misguided, but touching. Seven years and counting, he hasn't learned shit but to come up with more innovative ways to lose.

Reaction score
as of now
Stephen has already said our off-season priority is improving the defense. Despite my constant fear about Jerry trying to take credit for the success and make a risky move, I am extremely optimistic about next year.

The only problem is Garrett's concept of improving the team, especially the defense is just a bunch of wasted time and money. The Garrett era is not pro-active, bringing in strong depth players for the DL, it has ignored Safetys that the rest of the league pick up and instead pursue players like Benson or TCrawford (who I think wins the NFL award for "almost" sacking) and then play whole seasons with players like Hayden.

Yes the Collins, Brown, and Irving acquisitions worked out so far (and maybe Tapper and Jaylon as well) but the lack of proactive and emphasis on passive "wait and see" off-season Garrett strategy has not been efficient. In fact, conventional wisdom for great defenses is to have size and weight at the NT and 3 tech. Garrett was trying to push hardworking good guy Crawford who is undersized and the running game and D-line effectiveness began to improve when Collins and McClain had the middle like any 12 year old could see from the sideline but Brainless Bozo wants to be unconventional, which is league-wide unconventional because it doesn't work.

Defense in the offseason as a priority has been going on for years. But the early rounds will be Dallas drafting a good citizen with a knee injury or an aspiration to be a senator or a TE. They draft talent by accident later on but decide to cut them or keep them benched because the coach has no idea how to develop his players and just passively plans on them benefiting from a Montessori coaching style.

Bushmaster78FS

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Your optimism is touching. Misguided, but touching. Seven years and counting, he hasn't learned shit but to come up with more innovative ways to lose.

True. Sad but true! I keep forgetting we had this shit for 7 years. One hopeful option remains, players succeeding despite his fuckery.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Does it even matter to Garrett? He'll just trot out the same old lame "fight scratch claw", "battle", "team we can be proud of" nonsense every year and the media will happily lap it up.

Zero accountability whatsoever for him no matter what happens.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The two SB teams from last year didn't even make the playoffs. This idea that because we had some success this year means we'll have it next year is questionable. The NFL is set up that way. I don't think we'll go 13 and 3 again next year just because it took some incredible acts of fortune just to get there; good health, decent D during the season and Dak and Zek playing well. Plus Garrett has always laid a stinker after tasting some success.

Top Bottom