Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I want to see what happens during the games, but every day I read stuff about Kris Richard I like him more and more.

I liked the hire when we got him, but he sounds like he is bringing sorely needed intensity to this organization.

He is our #1 off season acquisition by far. I’m more excited to see what he can do with this D than I am about any of our draft picks

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
OXNARD, Calif. -- While well-known players like Cole Beasley, Tavon Austin, Byron Jones and Ezekiel Elliott have stood out most through the first 11 training camp practices, there are a few under-the-radar players who have been quietly turning heads.

Since the starters won't play much, if at all, in the Cowboys' preseason opener Thursday night at San Francisco, here are five camp standouts who should be on the field quite a bit.

1) Charvarius Ward, CB | 6-1, 200
Ward has been modest about his performance so far, calling it only "pretty decent." But in terms of turning in flash plays, he's had one of the best camps of any player on the roster. The undrafted rookie free agent out of Middle Tennessee State has routinely gotten his hands on passes in both team and one-on-one periods.

He provided one of the top defensive highlights of camp on Saturday when he intercepted a Dak Prescott deep ball intended for Michael Gallup in one-on-one drills. Ward stayed step-for-step with Gallup, caught the ball over his shoulder, pushed Gallup to the ground and then cut back up field.

"That helped boost my confidence a lot," Ward said of the play. "I feel like I have a lot of potential. I can make a lot of plays on the ball, create a lot of turnovers."

Depending on how many corners the Cowboys keep - either five or six - Ward could be battling Marquez White, another player on this list, for one of the final roster spots.

2) Lance Lenoir, WR | 6-0, 210
It seems that just about every practice Lenoir is recording a highlight grab. He has quickly developed a rapport with Dak Prescott and has shown that he's not afraid to mix it up with defensive backs trying to bully him.

"I'm a tough receiver," Lenoir said. "I got nice hands. I got quick feet. I can block. I can basically do anything you ask me to. I'm maybe not the ideal size but I'm a big lion, I got a big heart."

The receiver position is one of the most wide-open at camp. Lenoir, who finished last season on Dallas' active roster, is certainly in the mix for one of the final receiver spots.

"I think I've done what I need to do, it's just being consistent and bringing it each day," Lenoir said. "I'll let the rest take care of itself, just keep doing what I'm doing."

3) Dorance Armstrong, DE | 6-4, 255
Armstrong has become a popular name among those within the organization. The fourth-round pick out of Kansas has been turning heads with his pass rushing ability since camp started.

"He's showing up every day," coach Jason Garrett said. "He's just really doing a nice job. And to me, it has a lot to do with the kind of young man he is. ... You can coach him hard. He responds to adversity. He's made a heck of a lot of progress."

He has mostly been lining up at left defensive end with the second and third teams, but he has the ability to play on both sides.

When given the opportunity to get a few reps against starting offensive tackles La'el Collins and Tyron Smith, Armstrong has had some success.

"I definitely feel like I'm improving," he said. "It's showing up on tape."

4) Antwaun Woods, DT | 6-1, 312
Woods has impressed the coaching staff so much that in a little over a week he's gone from the fourth team to the first team.

The undrafted nose tackle out of USC was with the Tennessee Titans the last two years, spending most of that time on the practice squad. He signed with the Cowboys in May.

"My mindset is, I can't go home," Woods said. "I got a wife and kids. I'm here. I got to make sure I give everybody a reason to keep me here and here to stay."

His most notable play from camp practices occurred on Saturday. After holding his own against Travis Frederick in a one-on-one drill, the two exchanged some colorful language and then got into this year's most memorable camp scuffle.

What will happen if Woods makes the 53-man roster?

"All I got to say is watch out," he responded. "Don't blink."

5) Marquez White, CB | 6-0, 190
Last year's sixth-round pick spent his entire rookie season on the practice squad after a hamstring injury limited him in camp.

"Now I'm healthy and I've been making plays in practice," White said. "I'm ready to get to the games and really just make some noise and really earn my spot."

He's made several nice plays in camp, but his best came Sunday in team drills. Cooper Rush was targeting Tavon Austin with a deep ball near the right sideline when White stepped in to make a leaping interception.

"I haven't given up a lot of big plays and I've made the plays that have been there for me," White said. "I think I'm having a pretty good camp."

White was indicted in June on one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in an alleged road-rage incident. White said he's confident the incident won't affect his playing status for the upcoming season.

"My legal team is very confident that things will go the way they're supposed to go," White said.

Twitter: @jonmachota

Dallas Cowboys: The five under-the-radar Cowboys you’ll want to watch in preseason opener vs. 49ers | SportsDay

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OXNARD, Calif. -- While well-known players like Cole Beasley, Tavon Austin, Byron Jones and Ezekiel Elliott have stood out most through the first 11 training camp practices, there are a few under-the-radar players who have been quietly turning heads.

Since the starters won't play much, if at all, in the Cowboys' preseason opener Thursday night at San Francisco, here are five camp standouts who should be on the field quite a bit.

1) Charvarius Ward, CB | 6-1, 200
Ward has been modest about his performance so far, calling it only "pretty decent." But in terms of turning in flash plays, he's had one of the best camps of any player on the roster. The undrafted rookie free agent out of Middle Tennessee State has routinely gotten his hands on passes in both team and one-on-one periods.

He provided one of the top defensive highlights of camp on Saturday when he intercepted a Dak Prescott deep ball intended for Michael Gallup in one-on-one drills. Ward stayed step-for-step with Gallup, caught the ball over his shoulder, pushed Gallup to the ground and then cut back up field.

"That helped boost my confidence a lot," Ward said of the play. "I feel like I have a lot of potential. I can make a lot of plays on the ball, create a lot of turnovers."

Depending on how many corners the Cowboys keep - either five or six - Ward could be battling Marquez White, another player on this list, for one of the final roster spots.

2) Lance Lenoir, WR | 6-0, 210
It seems that just about every practice Lenoir is recording a highlight grab. He has quickly developed a rapport with Dak Prescott and has shown that he's not afraid to mix it up with defensive backs trying to bully him.

"I'm a tough receiver," Lenoir said. "I got nice hands. I got quick feet. I can block. I can basically do anything you ask me to. I'm maybe not the ideal size but I'm a big lion, I got a big heart."

The receiver position is one of the most wide-open at camp. Lenoir, who finished last season on Dallas' active roster, is certainly in the mix for one of the final receiver spots.

"I think I've done what I need to do, it's just being consistent and bringing it each day," Lenoir said. "I'll let the rest take care of itself, just keep doing what I'm doing."

3) Dorance Armstrong, DE | 6-4, 255
Armstrong has become a popular name among those within the organization. The fourth-round pick out of Kansas has been turning heads with his pass rushing ability since camp started.

"He's showing up every day," coach Jason Garrett said. "He's just really doing a nice job. And to me, it has a lot to do with the kind of young man he is. ... You can coach him hard. He responds to adversity. He's made a heck of a lot of progress."

He has mostly been lining up at left defensive end with the second and third teams, but he has the ability to play on both sides.

When given the opportunity to get a few reps against starting offensive tackles La'el Collins and Tyron Smith, Armstrong has had some success.

"I definitely feel like I'm improving," he said. "It's showing up on tape."

4) Antwaun Woods, DT | 6-1, 312
Woods has impressed the coaching staff so much that in a little over a week he's gone from the fourth team to the first team.

The undrafted nose tackle out of USC was with the Tennessee Titans the last two years, spending most of that time on the practice squad. He signed with the Cowboys in May.

"My mindset is, I can't go home," Woods said. "I got a wife and kids. I'm here. I got to make sure I give everybody a reason to keep me here and here to stay."

His most notable play from camp practices occurred on Saturday. After holding his own against Travis Frederick in a one-on-one drill, the two exchanged some colorful language and then got into this year's most memorable camp scuffle.

What will happen if Woods makes the 53-man roster?

"All I got to say is watch out," he responded. "Don't blink."

5) Marquez White, CB | 6-0, 190
Last year's sixth-round pick spent his entire rookie season on the practice squad after a hamstring injury limited him in camp.

"Now I'm healthy and I've been making plays in practice," White said. "I'm ready to get to the games and really just make some noise and really earn my spot."

He's made several nice plays in camp, but his best came Sunday in team drills. Cooper Rush was targeting Tavon Austin with a deep ball near the right sideline when White stepped in to make a leaping interception.

"I haven't given up a lot of big plays and I've made the plays that have been there for me," White said. "I think I'm having a pretty good camp."

White was indicted in June on one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in an alleged road-rage incident. White said he's confident the incident won't affect his playing status for the upcoming season.

"My legal team is very confident that things will go the way they're supposed to go," White said.

Twitter: @jonmachota

Dallas Cowboys: The five under-the-radar Cowboys you’ll want to watch in preseason opener vs. 49ers | SportsDay

theres lots of videos of lenoir getting open and making plays. he was like that last yr in preseason. i like him a lot and i hope he gets a chance to play this yr. and lenoir has been doing videos of himself doing drills what feels like all year long leading up to this point. hes marketing himself (and its kinda gay to record your workouts) but its good to see him working rather than buying exotic animals and throwing block parties

same as lenoir, ward has a ton of camp videos of him deflecting passes. i hope he is a player for dallas

and woods at DT. dude goes from 4th string to 1st string and gets in a fight w travis frederick. i like the attitude

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ya know, just based on this thread alone I can see why so many visit this site. I really dont understand why they dont post though. Maybe they are blind homers that stop by for a reality check or possibly realists looking for confirmation. Either way for those that do post regularly, I think for the most part there is some spot on commentary.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
OXNARD, Calif. – This might seem obvious, but I just want to share a quick reminder that it’s not about the score.

The Cowboys will visit the San Francisco 49ers for their preseason opener on Thursday night. We will likely see some, but certainly not all of their star players for a little bit. And then the game will give way to the back end of the depth chart.

It’s probably not going to be a very pretty game of football, and the Cowboys may even lose. But that’s not the point. During these preseason exhibitions, the Cowboys’ coaching staff is trying to see who they have on this roster and how they might help this team going forward.

Rather than worrying about the score, it’s all about evaluation in these settings. Who carries over their practice performances into the game? Who puts his best foot forward? This is the first big test of the preseason, and it will go a long way in shaping our opinions of these players.

With that in mind, here are some notes on what I want to see from this outing:
For the most part, I expect that we’ll see the first offense and defense go at least one series in this game, then turn the game over to the backups. Jason Garrett has gone as far to say that those that have been practicing will play and those that have missed time will not. Ezekiel Elliott falls into the category of those that have practiced but likely not to play at this time.

We need to remember that this is a preseason game with almost no game planning, so it will be played in a manner of executing basic offensive and defensive schemes they’ve run in practice. That should at least give the young players a chance to have some success. The Cowboys did face the 49ers last season, so there is some film for familiarity as far as their schemes.

With three young quarterbacks behind Dak Prescott, how they’re evaluated will be important. It all starts up front with the backup offensive line. Having a mix of veteran and young blockers is a must. If your line is too young, then there is a good chance of quarterback struggles. The Cowboys will initially be able to play an offensive line that is capable of providing enough protection to keep these from quarterbacks running for their lives. Joe Looney will be the anchor of this group, along with Cam Fleming and Chaz Green at tackles. Green has looked much better these previous three practices playing on that right side, so hopefully he can carry that confidence with him into the game.

There hasn’t been a set lineup for these receivers in practice. At any given time depending on the group, you will see a different combination. As a unit, there are some guys that have been banged up, fought through some things and are looking to make a mark. I’ve gone back and forth in my mind with the different combinations, but have yet to determine the likely five or six they carry. What is unique about this group is that, with depth at the position, the quality of the players will be used deep into the game. The drop off from what I have observed in these practices is not that drastic, which will once again help these quarterbacks.

The way I look at this running back group is that there are four players for one spot. Ezekiel Elliott and Rod Smith are locks with Jamize Olawale playing as the fullback. In years past this front office has carried extra running backs, but I don’t think the numbers on the roster will allow them to carry an extra guy. Bo Scarbrough would be the odds-on favorite to win that spot, but he’s going to have to prove he’s better than Trey Williams, Darius Jackson and Jordan Chunn. It would not surprise me one bit if this battle comes down to the final preseason game in Houston. I expect Scarbrough to get the majority of the snaps in these games, so let’s see if he can win this job outright.

Antwaun Woods has emerged as the starter over Jihad Ward, who was a much better player in the OTAs. Where Woods has shown up is in the power department. When the pads came on, he became difficult to block. As a whole, this group needs some juice and Woods has provided that. What I am keeping an eye on is if Woods can carry his momentum into this game. He has looked solid against some of the best offensive linemen in the league, so it gives me a little hope that he’s just not some flash in the pan type of player -- that there is actually some real skill with him for the position.

Get ready for the Leighton Vander Esch Show against the 49ers. The rookie linebacker has been up to the task when put in various situations. He will likely be working with Joe Thomas and Justin March-Lillard, which hasn’t been a bad combination being that all three of them can really run. With Vander Esch, I am always looking at the physical side of his game. His ability to fight blocks while finding the ball will be put to the test and if he can develop more consistency in handling that, the quicker he has a chance to start.

Give this front office some credit for putting this group of cornerbacks together. It is a deep group that is very talented. I have been impressed with what I have seen, not only from the starters Chidobe Awuzie and Byron Jones, but the backups, as well. Anthony Brown is once again playing at a higher level. Jourdan Lewis might have lost his starting job, but he is still battling to win the nickel job. Rookies Charvarius Ward and Donovan Olumba have been exceptional. Throw in veterans Duke Thomas and Marquez White and you get an idea of how competitive the group really is. I see them keeping six at this spot. The battle will come down to how well Ward, Olumba, Thomas and White play for those final two spots. This is also a position where one of these guys could be used as a piece in a trade to grab another position of need.

One of the hardest working players on the field this camp has been Dan Bailey. You get the feeling that he’s trying to once again find that stroke that’s made him one of the most accurate kicker in NFL history over his career. If I am Jason Garrett and Keith O’Quinn I am giving Bailey every opportunity to attempt field goals in the preseason. I have confidence that he’ll figure it out and there is no better place than actual game conditions.

Broaddus: What To Watch In San Francisco

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
After five years with the Rams – three in St. Louis and two in L.A. – Tavon Austin was dealt to the Dallas Cowboys this past April. He only fetched a sixth-round pick, but it allowed the Rams to move on from a player who simply didn’t work in Sean McVay’s offense.

Given the coach’s creativity on that side of the ball and his unpredictable play calling, it was a bit surprising to see Austin fail to carve out a role. He was essentially relegated to a backup running back role, catching just 13 passes for 47 yards last season.

He showed flashes at times out of the backfield, but he simply wasn’t consistent enough or worth the money to keep on the roster. Injuries also played a role in his struggles, but he seems to believe the system had a lot to do with it.

“To be honest man, it’s all about the system. You just have to be in the right system at the right time. And have the right people around you. That’s all it be,” Austin told the Dallas Morning News. “Just got to take chances on the people calling plays for you and you got to make them, that’s the main thing. When you make plays and things happen, more stuff will happen for you.”

Austin was set to make $8 million in 2018, but the Rams restructured his deal to convert most of that into incentive-based salary. Despite him essentially betting on himself and taking a pay cut, the Rams still traded him to Dallas, ending what was a rollercoaster five-year tenure.

Tavon Austin on struggles with Rams: ‘It’s all about the system’

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Broaddus once again wearing his Captain Obvious uniform for the first four paragraphs, then donning his Charlie Clueless suit for the rest of his useless, long-winded screed of scrap crap.

Does this mother fucker get paid by the word? What the fuck happened to the punchy, pro writing style they used to teach in college journalism?

Who's going to take the time to read all of that stupid shit?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Broaddus once again wearing his Captain Obvious uniform for the first four paragraphs, then donning his Charlie Clueless suit for the rest of his useless, long-winded screed of scrap crap.

Does this mother fucker get paid by the word?
Probably. When you are on what amounts to a three week company paid vacation, I guess you better at least look like you are going through the motions.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Cowboys will play their first preseason game Thursday against San Francisco. With that in mind, here’s my list of the 10 players having the best training camp.

It doesn’t mean the players not on the list are having poor camps, but these are the players having the best camps:

1. Ezekiel Elliott: I have not seen him make a bad play at training camp. He’s running routes in the middle of the field as well as downfield, an indication the Cowboys are weaponizing him. He’s in great shape and he’s poised to have a huge year.

2. Byron Jones: Sometimes, a player gets married to the perfect scheme and the perfect coach and it allows him to excel in ways that didn’t seem possible. Passing game defensive coordinator Kris Richard is having that kind of impact on Jones, who’s playing better than he ever has in training camp. He is using his size and athleticism to smother receivers.

3. DeMarcus Lawrence: He has been a beast in practice, setting the tone for the defensive line and every other player with the ferocity in which he attacks practice. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli gave Lawrence a tape at the end of last season that showed how specific drills and moves he worked on in practice led to specific sacks and big plays in games, driving home the importance of practice.

4. Anthony Brown: The reason we were not talking about Brown heading into training camp is that by his count he dropped seven interceptions last year. That gnawed at him, and he has spent the offseason grinding and doing everything he can to improve - and he has, which is why he is the starting slot cornerback right now.

5. Jaylon Smith: He says he is all the way back. So does vice president of player personnel Will McClay and coach Jason Garrett. Smith is moving well, he is running through offensive linemen and he Cowboys are going to put him in a positive to make plays by blitzing him. There’s no physical reason for him not to be a good player this season.

6. Zack Martin: He is so good that it is easy to take him for granted. He is dominant in practice and he is out there every day. The huge contract has not affected anything about his preparation or performance.

7. Chido Awuzie: He is been almost as good as Brown, the only real difference being Brown has intercepted more passes in practice. He is physical, and he is deflecting a lot of passes.

8. Cole Beasley: Dak Prescott has said Beasley is the receiver he trusts the most, which makes sense because he has caught more passes from the quarterback than anyone else on the roster. Beasley is running a variety of routes, including deep routes, and the Cowboys expect him to succeed as an outside receiver - not just in the slot.

9. Taco Charlton: He made one of the plays in camp with a spin move that resulted in right tackle La’El Collins flailing around as Charlton sacked Prescott. He is bigger and thicker than he was a year ago, and he stays in DeMarcus Lawrence’s hip pocket trying to improve.

10. Travis Frederick: Much like Zach Martin, he is just consistently good in practice. He does not have bad plays and he anchors the middle of the offensive line.

JJT: Dak Prescott Not Among Players Having the Best Training Camp - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2. Byron Jones: Sometimes, a player gets married to the perfect scheme and the perfect coach and it allows him to excel in ways that didn’t seem possible. Passing game defensive coordinator Kris Richard is having that kind of impact on Jones, who’s playing better than he ever has in training camp. He is using his size and athleticism to smother receivers.

would not have seen this coming fro ma mile away but this is the 1st thing richard did when he got here is move jones to corner and show him how he should be playing it. baker and eberfleus had 3 yrs and couldnt figure it out with jones. richard has him playing like the defensive mvp of the team and its only training camp

4. Anthony Brown: The reason we were not talking about Brown heading into training camp is that by his count he dropped seven interceptions last year. That gnawed at him, and he has spent the offseason grinding and doing everything he can to improve - and he has, which is why he is the starting slot cornerback right now.

brown started off slow too and now hes outperforming awuzie. but iirc awuzie is also a little banged up (hamstring ?)

5. Jaylon Smith: He says he is all the way back. So does vice president of player personnel Will McClay and coach Jason Garrett. Smith is moving well, he is running through offensive linemen and he Cowboys are going to put him in a positive to make plays by blitzing him. There’s no physical reason for him not to be a good player this season.

happy to see jaylon smith and blitzing in the same sentence.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
All the above is good stuff to hear, hope it plays out that way when the games count.

Rookie Jourdan Lewis was arguably our best CB last yr. He didn't get worse, but now he is basically the teams 4th CB and battling for playing time in the nickel/dime defense. Testament to Kris Richard's impact and if they all stay healthy, a position that was truly as mediocre as you could get just two-three years ago appears to be a real potential strength.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
brown started off slow too and now hes outperforming awuzie. but iirc awuzie is also a little banged up (hamstring ?)

Awuzie has been really good. He did bang up his knee though and has been wearing a sleeve on it since then.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff on Taco.

I think he is one of the guys who could really take a big step this year.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
All the above is good stuff to hear, hope it plays out that way when the games count.

Rookie Jourdan Lewis was arguably our best CB last yr. He didn't get worse, but now he is basically the teams 4th CB and battling for playing time in the nickel/dime defense. Testament to Kris Richard's impact and if they all stay healthy, a position that was truly as mediocre as you could get just two-three years ago appears to be a real potential strength.

And I like the fact the Lewis had to maintain his "status" from last year. The guys that are having a good camp are the guys that have moved up the depth chart ahead of Lewis. I'm not sure that's how this team does it's business but it's absolutely the way it should be. Props to Richard.....

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Scout’s Notebook: DBs & LBs Keep Making Plays

Monday, Aug 13, 2018 09:00 AM

Scout’s Notebook: DBs & LBs Keep Making Plays
pqcpdcxfyob4nsor1sjc.jpg
Bryan Broaddus
FOOTBALL ANALYST/SCOUT

pisqfih1sta0qr4zaovs.jpg

OXNARD, Calif. – Jason Garrett promised us a spirited practice on Sunday, and we sure got it.

The Cowboys only have a few days left in California, but this does not feel like a fatigued team when you get out here and watch practice. Sunday evening’s session was hotly-contested and energetic all the way through.

Here are my notes from practice, where we saw some fantastic catches and some encouraging signs from the defense:

• I believe you are going to see this Cowboys running game featuring more elements of pulling offensive linemen than at any point of Scott Linehan’s tenure as the coordinator. With the patient running style of Ezekiel Elliott and the athletic ability of this line, angle blocks are easier to execute by sealing defenders inside -- which gets blockers out on the edge in space. There were several examples of that where the scheme required Connor Williams and Zack Martin to get to the outside on pulls where they were able to do that cleanly, resulting in sizeable gains by Elliott.
  • You can easily see why these defensive coaches are interested in using Jaylon Smith as a pass rusher. Smith was called into the “compete” period with rookie Dalton Schultz and was able to get the better of him. Schultz’s initial pass set was good, but then his right foot came off the ground and that was the side that Smith attacked. Schultz was unable to work back to try and counter Smith. Once Smith felt Schultz’s weight transfer, he hit him with a spin move that knocked him to the ground. It was a good experience for the rookie to face Jaylon Smith and have to deal with that type of violence from a rusher.
  • I mentioned during the 49ers game how Taco Charlton played his assignments well when it came to handling the read options by staying wide. Charlton was outstanding in not allowing the 49ers quarterbacks to have space while throwing the ball. Well today, he took the cheese and fired down to the inside in an attempt to trap Ezekiel Elliott in the back field. Charlton was fooled on the play in large part to the fake of Dak Prescott, who rode the ball to Elliott just that extra step in order to draw Charlton inside. It worked to perfection.
  • Tremendous play by Chidobe Awuzie to knock the ball away from K.D. Cannon on the “9” or “go” route. Prescott put the ball in an ideal spot for Cannon to grab it, but before he had a chance to extend his hands, Awuzie swatted it away with his right hand. What was especially impressive about the play was that Cannon can really run and Awuzie was able to stay with him, step-for-step, all while tracking the ball.
  • You know your linebackers are locked into coverage when a spot route by the tight end turns into an incomplete pass. Dalton Schultz hooked up over the ball between Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith. Prescott tried to fit the ball inside, but Lee and Smith drove on Schultz, arriving at the exact same time. The force of the two linebackers was jarring, leaving Schultz helpless to make the reception.
  • Randy Gregory would have had his first sack of practice during team period, thanks to the work of Tyrone Crawford on the twist stunt. Crawford was able to occupy Connor Williams and Cameron Fleming by driving up the field, which gave Gregory a free run at Prescott. Gregory was so quick on the play that the ball wasn’t out of Prescott’s hand when he arrived. Luckily for the defense, Gregory got home on the rush because they had a bust in the secondary that left Tavon Austin wide open.
  • One of the better receptions that I have seen in these practices was the one-handed catch that Rico Gathers made from Cooper Rush. Rush had a feeling that he was going to get a single-high look from Kam Kelly -- and that’s exactly what happened. When he saw Gathers break up the field and to the outside, he floated the ball to him. Somehow, Gathers managed to reach up with his right hand to pull the ball down. Leighton Vander Esch was in good position, but the ball was in a position where only Gathers could get it.
  • Exceptional play by Joe Thomas to read the slant by Ricky Jeune from his linebacker spot and quickly react to the outside in order to knock the ball away. Jeune had Duke Thomas beaten off the line to the inside, and he was most likely going to haul in the pass from Mike White – right up until Thomas undercut the route to make the play.
  • I think I am detecting a trend here. Two of the best deep balls that I have seen Dak Prescott throw this camp were down the right sideline when the offense was working right to left. The Michael Gallup pass in San Francisco and the ball to Lance Lenoir in the same spot that Lenoir somehow let slip between his elbows. Both of these passes were located perfectly with the proper trajectory and distance, which is something that Jason Garrett talks about when evaluating quarterbacks that throw the deep ball with consistency.
  • Duke Thomas made back-to-back plays during the young guy portion of “compete” period to get his defense off the field. Thomas managed to keep K.D. Cannon from making a reception to convert a third down. Then on the next play, he knocked down a pass intended for Ricky Jeune on the crossing route from Mike White by running with Jeune the entire way and allowing no separation.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
With the patient running style of Ezekiel Elliott and the athletic ability of this line, angle blocks are easier to execute by sealing defenders inside -- which gets blockers out on the edge in space.
If they dont run this till the opposition figures out how to stop it, coaching staff is more clueless than we thought. Strength of team is Zeke and Pro Bowl blockers who can get to the second level and take care of business.

Top Bottom