dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah. Fresh legs after the halftime break, and hadn't done much at all to that point. It was part of the PLAN for that game.
Such bullshit, really. Zeke doesn't leave the game on his own request, they intentionally SPELL him because they are stupid, don't want to "wear him out." They've done this same thing with ALL of our top RBs since Ginger's been the HC. Also you're pretending Emmitt played every snap? They "rested" him often, during games.

I get what BB is referring to, but again the amount of contact and some of the huge hits Zeke is taking are definitely taking a toll on him.

This dude has turned a ton of runs over his 3 seasons that should have went for negative yards or no gains into positive yards and most of the time the other team is gang tackling him with multiple guys. It has to take a toll, especially at this point of the season.

Emmitt had a knack for avoiding a lot of big hits and some of the punishment that Zeke takes.

In some ways Zeke is a modern NFL version of Earl Campbell when it comes to running style.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah. Fresh legs after the halftime break, and hadn't done much at all to that point. It was part of the PLAN for that game.

The plan was to dick around the entire first half and then force-feed Emmitt the ball? Could've sworn it was merely a halftime adjustment.

Such bullshit, really. Zeke doesn't leave the game on his own request, they intentionally SPELL him because they are stupid, don't want to "wear him out." They've done this same thing with ALL of our top RBs since Ginger's been the HC. Also you're pretending Emmitt played every snap? They "rested" him often, during games.

I said no such thing. Of course he was spelled from time to time, but I don't remember him putting his hand up and asking to come out of games as often as Zeke.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He's going to get fired even if we do make the playoffs.

I wish that was the case

But there is ZERO information to support that idea. In fact everything points the other direction. History has proven that not making the playoffs isn’t going to get Garrett fired. And history has proven that making the playoffs isn’t going to get Garrett fired. In fact it might actually get him extended

How many years has it been since we thought he “might” get fired at the end of the season?

That has never happened. I don’t see why that would change now

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually there is information to support that, Rynie told us so weeks ago and he has a pretty damn good track record.

Again Jones has wasted a decade+ with Garrett here and he has to do something to save Prescott (unless they have decided to bring in competition for him, which I highly doubt). That's the difference now, Prescott succeeding or failing hinges on getting suitable coaches/teachers here, and Garrett/Linehan/Moore have proven beyond a shadow fo a doubt that they arnt it.

Garrett is gone. Anything short of NFC Champ game and I am sure of it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The plan was to dick around the entire first half and then force-feed Emmitt the ball? Could've sworn it was merely a halftime adjustment.

Part of the adjustments at halftime were realizing Aikman was still foggy from the massive concussion he suffered the week before, so they decided their best chance to win was pound the ball on Buffalo. (Yes for those that don't remember, there was only 1 week between the conference championships and Super Bowl that year. In todays world Aikman probably misses 3-4 weeks with the type of concussion he had then, he played days later)

I said no such thing. Of course he was spelled from time to time, but I don't remember him putting his hand up and asking to come out of games as often as Zeke.

I still think you are grossly underestimating the amount of contact he takes and what it does to him. He has a much more physical, contact driven running style than Emmitt did)

Reaction score
The obvious next step this team needs to make is to get better than 31st ranked (out of 32) for red zone touch downs. Fix that, and this team beats most other teams fairly easily. I believe this would also go a long ways towards fixing the seeming hot and cold nature of the current Cowboys.

Reaction score
They still got the same overall workload.

And one thing Emmitt just had a knack for was never getting hit hard, or at least minimizing the times that would happen. Didn't seem like you saw a ton of blow-up hits on him.

Zeke on the other hand takes a tremendous amount of punishment. He seeks out some of it but he does not shy away from contact at all. The beatings his body are taking are far worse than what Emmitt saw.

Roy Williams (DB) had the only real solid hit that I can remember that blew him up when Emmitt was a Cardinal. Other than that, not much else. Emmitt seemed to hurt himself more than defenders did whether it was blowing out a hammie or landing on his neck after leaping over a goal line pile.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Come on man....he takes himself out all the time.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sometimes I'm shocked at the things I read around here. BB's right and it's obvious but Dooms wants to blame the coaches for taking him out to spell him? I mean, the guy just raises his hand routinely to be spelled. Now, I'm not saying Zeke doesn't run hard and doesn't shy away from contact. But he just seems to get spelled often at his own request. And I don't think he's as shifty as he was in his first year. Does anyone believe that Zeke will take it to the house from our side of the field?

And we're near the bottom of the NFL in the red zone but none of it is the QB's fault, according to you guys. We get shut out and it's not the QB. The excuse making for such poor play is really pathetic.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Actually there is information to support that, Rynie told us so weeks ago and he has a pretty damn good track record.

Again Jones has wasted a decade+ with Garrett here and he has to do something to save Prescott (unless they have decided to bring in competition for him, which I highly doubt). That's the difference now, Prescott succeeding or failing hinges on getting suitable coaches/teachers here, and Garrett/Linehan/Moore have proven beyond a shadow fo a doubt that they arnt it.

Garrett is gone. Anything short of NFC Champ game and I am sure of it.

Rynie was right about Gregory. But it's one thing hearing rumors about failed drugs tests, it's another thing entirely trying to guess what's going on in Jerry's head. I honestly don't believe Jerry has even decided yet what to do about Garrett. But what the hell do I know?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sometimes I'm shocked at the things I read around here. BB's right and it's obvious but Dooms wants to blame the coaches for taking him out to spell him? I mean, the guy just raises his hand routinely to be spelled. Now, I'm not saying Zeke doesn't run hard and doesn't shy away from contact. But he just seems to get spelled often at his own request. And I don't think he's as shifty as he was in his first year. Does anyone believe that Zeke will take it to the house from our side of the field?

And we're near the bottom of the NFL in the red zone but none of it is the QB's fault, according to you guys. We get shut out and it's not the QB. The excuse making for such poor play is really pathetic.

JC man, how much more of a workload do you think he can take? He's got the most touches in the league. He ranks right up there with where Emmitt was on # of touches.

Some of you guys are just sick with this nonsense.

And yes, Zeke can go the distance from our side of the field.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Come on man....he takes himself out all the time.

Come on man, he has a massive workload. 26+ touches per game.

Emmitt was king of the massive workload from 91-95, and his top season was 27 touches per game.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Of course he was spelled from time to time, but I don't remember him putting his hand up and asking to come out of games as often as Zeke.
It probably only happened when he was hurt, it was a different era. You stayed IN until they told you to come out, if you weren't hurt. Was that way with ALL positions, up until about 30 years ago when rotating defensive linemen to keep them fresh came into vogue after the Jimmy Johnsons of the college world showed how it's a good practice. Now they do it with most all positions.

BB's right and it's obvious but Dooms wants to blame the coaches for taking him out to spell him?
I often try to illustrate absurdity with absurdity and it really seldom works in the online texted environment. But are we really to believe BB when he says Zeke's conditioning is poor, he is overweight and slow? C'mon now. He is none of those things or he wouldn't be so feared by the opponents who regularly stack the box to stop him, and key on him in the passing game. He is a dangerous man who can take the ball to the house on any given touch. He waves his hand to get a breather about as much as most other running backs do. Hell, they ALL do it. They're ALL fat, out of shape and slow?

He's a human tortoise.
Absurd nonsense.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I often try to illustrate absurdity with absurdity and it really seldom works in the online texted environment. But are we really to believe BB when he says Zeke's conditioning is poor, he is overweight and slow? C'mon now. He is none of those things or he wouldn't be so feared by the opponents who regularly stack the box to stop him, and key on him in the passing game. He is a dangerous man who can take the ball to the house on any given touch. He waves his hand to get a breather about as much as most other running backs do. Hell, they ALL do it. They're ALL fat, out of shape and slow?

I can't say for sure about his conditioning but I do know he came in way out of shape last year. I think guys like Zeke are so supremely talented that they've never had to really work at their craft because they were so much better than everyone else. Then they get into the NFL and they can't get away with the things they got away with in college. We know Emmitt took care of himself which is why he lasted so long.

I'd like to see Zeke take one to the house but he's not the same back he was his rookie year. But he's still a great back and is the engine that runs the offense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I can't say for sure about his conditioning but I do know he came in way out of shape last year. I think guys like Zeke are so supremely talented that they've never had to really work at their craft because they were so much better than everyone else. Then they get into the NFL and they can't get away with the things they got away with in college. We know Emmitt took care of himself which is why he lasted so long.

I'd like to see Zeke take one to the house but he's not the same back he was his rookie year. But he's still a great back and is the engine that runs the offense.
No quarrel with any of that. Except maybe, Emmitt was the same way, talent-wise. So much better than anyone else BUT, he constantly worked to get even better, to improve. That's why he's a Hall of Famer and what separates him from the Zeke's of the world, who never will be.

Another example closer to Zeke in what you're saying is Hershel Walker. Never lifted weights, ever. Just a pure, natural talent. And really never worked to get any better, to get nifty like Emmitt was. He was just Hershel and with him, you got what you got. Which was better than most had.
I can't say for sure about his conditioning but I do know he came in way out of shape last year.
But by all reports came into training camp this year lighter, and in the best shape he's been in.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If you think 2014 and 2016 were wasted opportunities, I really feel like this year is just as bad, there is no team I look at think "that team would beat the Cowboys" 9 out of 10 times. A lot of people think NO is the team to beat and they may well be, but they are far from unbeatable. A decent offensive staff, not even great, and the Cowboys could make the post season very interesting, but we all know how this movie ends.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

This OL is a shell of the one that blocked for him in 2016. FACT.

Top Bottom