MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dr Jerry said Claiborne has a groin strain or something and not a major tear, sounds like that might be good news for the long haul.

Also dropped the comment about Jaylon Smith "being on the cusp". I still think this would be an incredible longshot for him to do anything this year, but IF (big IF) he were healthy and even 80% of the player he was at Notre Dame, he'd be a pretty significant addition to the defense late in the season. Other than Lee I think its safer to say at 80% or better health-wise he'd be the best LB on the team.

I heard Spagnola mention what Jerry said. I think he said it on his interview with GBag Nation on the Fan. It would definitely be amazing if Jaylon did play this year but in my opinion it would be the worst thing you could do to Jaylon. He should be allowed to heal the rest of the year and the off season. I know he's been able to keep himself in shape but that knee needs more time. If the nerve starts firing this year there is no doubt he'll be ready by training camp.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be a lot more worried by McCown.

I said before I wasn't sure the Niners weren't halfway tanking for a better pick. I think the Browns might be fully tanking. I think that crew of baseball sabermatrician types they hired want a bunch of high draft picks to rebuild.

Tanking for what though? There are no Elway's or Aikman's in this upcoming draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If we win Sunday we'll tie for the 2nd longest regular season winning streak (same season) in franchise history with 7 in a row.

8 in the same season is the record (started 1977 at 8-0).

Pretty amazing when you think about all the awesome teams we've had over the years that 8 is the longest regular season win streak we ever had.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
if we lose, it will be right up there with losing to the winless Bills in 1984 and the expansion Texans in 2002

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just saw that we are wearing the blue Unis today. Isn't that the first time all season?

It feels like a sign of bad luck

I'm still picking the Cowboys. I'll be in a convention until tomorrow night so I won't get to watch the game until late tomorrow night when I get home. I'll try not to check this thread all day so the game will hopefully be a surprise. I won't have access to news or the games all day so hopefully I won't see the score before I get home

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I just saw that we are wearing the blue Unis today. Isn't that the first time all season?

It feels like a sign of bad luck

I'm still picking the Cowboys. I'll be in a convention until tomorrow night so I won't get to watch the game until late tomorrow night when I get home. I'll try not to check this thread all day so the game will hopefully be a surprise. I won't have access to news or the games all day so hopefully I won't see the score before I get home

Yup, they will also be wearing the blue jerseys on Thanksgiving.

Reaction score
We've never lost to the Cleveland Browns ver 2.0. All losses currently listed in the all time series actually belong to the Ravens who are the real (former) Cleveland Browns.

A couple of those losses to ver.1.0 are among the most painful I can remember.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
A couple of those losses to ver.1.0 are among the most painful I can remember.

Those playoff losses were before my time, but wasn't that when they coined "Next year's Champions" for our 'Boys?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;96Fn4iH6QII]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Fn4iH6QII[/video]

as far as i can tell, this is the only video footage of the Cowboys in action in the 1960s. the game didn't end well.

Reaction score
Those playoff losses were before my time, but wasn't that when they coined "Next year's Champions" for our 'Boys?
"Next Year's Champions" was the title of a book written by Steve Perkins, who was a local Dallas Cowboys beat writer for the Dallas Times Herald. That book covers the 1968 season. In both 1966 and 1967, the Cowboys narrowly lost the NFL Championship game to the Green Bay Packers. It was thought 1968 finally was going to be the Cowboys championship year, but instead they lost to the Browns in the playoffs.

Don Meredith, at the age of 31, retired following the 1968 season ... his announcement came in July of 1969. That's my first clear memory of the Cowboys - news coverage of Meredith's very surprising retirement.

I don't remember the term "next year's champion" being used all that much. The phrases you'd always hear were "can't win the big one" and "perennial bridesmaids."

For those who don't know - something to keep in mind is that these Cowboys teams were outstanding teams. The regular season records for the two Cowboys teams that lost to the Packers: 10-3-1 and 9-5. The 1968 team went 12-2 before losing to the Browns in the playoffs. The 1969 team was 11-2-1 before losing to the Browns in the playoffs. That 1969 Cowboys team was great fun to watch. Among other things, rookie RB Calvin Hill had an outstanding year and was named Rookie of the Year.

The string of 1966-1969 post season losses was mind-numbing and soul crushing in a Buffalo Bills losing 4 straight Super Bowls kind of way. It was as thoroughly demoralizing as can be imagined.

I don't recall if it was the Dallas Morning News or the Dallas Times Herald, but the headline in one of those papers following the 1969 playoff loss to the Browns was "Swell, Another Booby Prize". ("booby prize" referred to the "Playoff Bowl" - the game that the losers of the first round playoff game played to determine 3rd place)

The 1969 playoff highlights clip (above) does not include one of the iconic moments of Dallas Cowboys defeat ... a moment that happened in that 1969 game.

There are some dark moments on that list -- Meredith getting sacked in the closing moments of the 1966 Championship game, Bart Starr scoring in the Ice Bowl (1967), Bob Lilly throwing his helmet after Super Bowl V, Jackie Smith dropping the TD pass vs. the Steelers, Joe Montana and "The Catch," "No, Danny, no," and so on.

The iconic dark moment in the 1969 playoff game vs. the Browns happened at the end of the game. It was already clear that the Cowboys were going to lose; they were simply too far behind. But in garbage time, the Cowboys managed a score and even though the situation was truly hopeless, Landry called for an onside kick, because that's what you do.

The Cowboys' kicker, Mike Clark, was an old school kicker; he kicked straight-on, not "soccer-style," as they used to say. Anyway, it was his job to kickoff. However, when he attempted the onside kick, he completely missed the ball. He whiffed on the ball, entirely. He swung his leg, but didn't even touch the ball. No contact. At all. And in that single tragically comical moment, four seasons of gut wrenching disappointment were crystallized. It was a quintessential moment of haplessness. It was a moment that made you say "I've seen it all now. Just shoot me and put me out of my misery." It was an absurdly ridiculous end to a massively disappointing game ... a terrifically disappointing end to a season that had followed a series of seasons that had ended in massive disappointment.

So, after Clark misses the ball on the onside attempt, the Cowboys are flagged for delay of game. There is still time on the clock. So the Cowboys line up again, try another onside kick, and this time Clark manages to make contact with the ball, but does so only anemically. And the ball fails to travel 10 yards. Pure exasperation are the only words for it.

The 1969 game was the last time the Cowboys and Browns met in the playoffs. The AFL-NFL merger happened in 1970. The Browns, along with the Steelers and Colts, moved to the AFC side of the new NFL. Many in Dallas were happy to see the Browns go to the AFC, because it meant the Cowboys would never again play the Browns in a playoff game; henceforth, the only way the Cowboys could play the Browns in post-season would be in the Super Bowl.

So the 1969 playoff game was the ultimate low point for the franchise. It was as agonizing as any agony could be.

... until Super Bowl V.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Great recap Zero

Yeah I had read about how dominant some of those older Cowboy teams were, and they had essentially nothing to show for it.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We get Thom Brennaman and Charles Davis today. No Joe Suck :towel

Sure we'll get Buck & Aikman for next week at Pittsburgh though. Pretty sure that's the national double header game.

Reaction score
Cleveland Browns Pregame Scribbles: Cody Kessler, Terrelle Pryor, Corey Coleman -- Terry Pluto

Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
on November 06, 2016 at 7:50 AM, updated November 06, 2016 at 9:18 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Scribbles in my Cleveland Browns notebook as they prepare to face the Dallas Cowboys today at FirstEnergy Stadium:

1. The Browns are looking at Cody Kessler to show a couple of things. The most obvious are his quarterbacking skills. Can he connect on enough long passes to keep the defense from stacking the line of scrimmage to stop the run?

2. But a big issue is durability. Yes, pass protection has been iffy. But too often, he has put himself in danger by hanging on to the ball for too long, or trying to make a very risky play. He has started five games, and twice failed to make it to halftime. If he can't even stay in the game, how can he be the starting quarterback?

3. His durability is a major concern. That's also true for Josh McCown, who has some of the same faults when it comes to failing to throw away passes, etc. Scouts will tell you this: "A part of ability is durability."

4. Kessler's role model is Drew Brees. He has not always had good blocking, but the New Orleans quarterback has missed only three games in the last 13 years. He gets rid of the ball before the defense turns him into a tuna fish sandwich.

5. Quarterback coach Pep Hamilton praised Kessler's "natural instinct and awareness in the pocket ... that's something rare for young quarterbacks." Hamilton also was very pleased with Kessler's "poise ... toughness ... overall field vision."

6. The Browns believe he has some potential as a quarterback. Kessler certainly has shown he'll play in the NFL for several years, at least as a backup. But is he more than that? Eight games can help the Browns find out.

7. This is the first game in several weeks where the Browns actually are adding some talented players. Most weeks, good players keep getting hurt. Rookie receiver Corey Coleman is back for the first time since Game 2. In that loss to Baltimore, Coleman caught five passes for 104 yards -- including two for touchdowns.

8. Terrelle Pryor has been fighting a hamstring injury, but he'll play. Pryor caught six passes in last week's loss to the Jets. Pryor has played eight games. That's 50 percent of the season. His full-season stats project 82 catches and 6 TDs. Pretty impressive on a team that has used six quarterbacks in the first eight games.

9. Joe Haden expects to play again this week. Haden is another player with durability issues. From 2010-14, Haden missed four games because of a suspension (2012). In those five years, he missed only five total games due to injuries. But Haden missed 11 games last season because of different injuries. He has missed three of the first eight games this season.

10. Jamie Collins will make his Browns debut. I'm anxious to see the import from New England. It may take the Browns and Collins a few games to figure out how best he is to be used, but his athleticism should show up immediately. The defense desperately needs help.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Lance Dunbar active :facepalm

Cowboys inactives: Tony Romo, Morris Claiborne, Darius Jackson, Barry Church, Mark Nezocha, Ryan Davis and Chaz Green.
Browns inactive: Joe Callahan, Jonathan Cooper, Kevin Hogan, Gabe Ikard, Corey Lemonler, Stephen Paea, Jordan Payton

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't really notice it until today, but Dez has clearly lost a lot of weight. Looks really ripped in the pregame shots they've been showing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian Rappaport (aka Crapreport) saying Romo wont be ready to practice fully this upcoming week either, so Prescott starting at Pittsburgh.

Also said (fwiw, which isn't much with his track record) that Romo is taking this "extremely hard"

Top Bottom