NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Maliek Collins generated 88 total pressures over past two seasons, third-most for interior defenders in the NFL Draft.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
OVERVIEW

Not only was Collins an outstanding football player at Kansas City Central High School (first-team all-state with 43 tackles for loss and 15 sacks as a senior), but a championship wrestler who won a state title at 48-0 in his final year. That combination is gold to NFL scouts, who love defensive linemen who have used their hands to grapple on the mat as well as the gridiron. Collins contributed in his first year on campus in 2013, playing all 12 games and starting the team's bowl game (12 tackles, two for loss, one sack). His star power began to shine in his sophomore year, garnering second team All-Big Ten accolades and team Defensive co-MVP with 45 tackles, 14 for loss, and 4.5 sacks. Though he started 12 of 13 games in 2015, Collins' production dropped: 29 tackles, seven for loss, 2.5 sacks. Big Ten media members and coaches alike still felt that he made enough plays to earn third-team all-conference honors.
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Explosive get*-off with good pad level. Has exceptional lateral movement and overall athleticism for the position. Moved around defensive line as rusher and allowed to stand to maximize athleticism as twister. Good coordination between hands and feet. Strong jump* step and club move inside is his go-*to rush. Flashes an impressive ceiling when it's clicking for him. Initial quickness opens door for disruption. Plus motor with active hands.WEAKNESSES

Has very little scheme or position flexibility. Ends up on the ground all the time. Impact production doesn't match the athletic ability and talent. Square rusher missing hip swivel and upper body turn to improve penetration. Comes flying in as pass rusher on twists, but doesn't have workable counter*attack ready. Unable to stack and anchor against double teams. Doesn’t have play strength to fight back against redirect blocks.DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 2 or 3NFL COMPARISON

Henry MeltonBOTTOM LINE

Three*-technique with impressive athleticism and movement skills, but a lack of play strength to hold up at the point of attack. Collins needs to play for a defense that allows him to play up the field and should benefit from pass rush work with NFL coaching and teammates. Collins should test well which could push him way up the draft board, but his floor is lower than many of the defensive tackles in this draft.

Reaction score
Maliek Collins generated 88 total pressures over past two seasons, third-most for interior defenders in the NFL Draft.

Fascinating that they find these bizarre stats that fuel their terrible picks. Oh so pressures are suddenly a good sought after stat instead of sacks. What happened to the years of Anthony Spencer and Crawford having all of those pressures but the issue with the Dallas defense was they were not getting sacks. It's an issue to just have pressures it's not an issue to have sacks. So we drafted a guy who was very good at almost getting to the QB. His has to be Jason. It's just that stupid.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Doesn't 44 pressures per year seem like a lot anyway? I mean they only play 12-13 games a year. So he had 3 or 4 per game? Seems like a lot unless they have a very liberal interpretation of a "pressure."

Also, JJT is on 103.3. Says he talked to people over there and they were planning on getting Smith from the start. But they wanted to draft Ogbah, and then trade back into the second to get Smith because they didn't think he'd last to the third. So why not trade down? Why take him with the 3rd pick in the round?

Also, he says we didn't like Dodd that much. Says we'd have taken Smith before him.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Collins is very very quick for his size, but not overly strong. I actually like what I have seen from him on the film. I still like Billings and am wondering how much longer he is going to last. Another DT/DE would be great preferably DE but I think DT is a lot deeper in this draft than DE.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Also, the host Emrick asks about taking someone who won't help this year, and both Dennis and JJT say Steven is convinced they're a lot better than they are. JJT compared it to a guy who looks in the mirror and sees a six-pack when he actually has a beer gut.

This brain trust really does believe this is a 12-4 team that just had bad luck last year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Also, the host Emrick asks about taking someone who won't help this year, and both Dennis and JJT say Steven is convinced they're a lot better than they are. JJT compared it to a guy who looks in the mirror and sees a six-pack when he actually has a beer gut.

This brain trust really does believe this is a 12-4 team that just had bad luck last year.

Mindless slobs

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't hate the Collins pick, probably a good scheme fit at 3T here. At the very least he bumps injury prone McClain off the roster and is a rotational DT on game days. Backs up T Crawford.

Seems like I read a lot of reviews saying he was better in 2014 than 2015 though.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I think the same result could have been achieved by trading back from #4, with the exact same players except for Elliott. But we will see what the season brings. Connor Cook in the 4th round?

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I think Smith has more to do with the Cowboys being familiar with the doctors etc than anything else because I do not see how they could pass on Jack, unless his knee is really really that screwed up and if it is, I feel sad for him because he was an amazing player.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Collins was a reach there. Not sure why I'd expect anything else.

Fuck I hate this Front Office.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
2. JAYLON SMITH, Notre Dame (6-2, 238, 4.5, 2-4): Third-year junior. "He was far and away the best," said one scout. "He wasn't just the best by default. He was the best in an excellent group of guys. It's just a risk-reward thing now." After being smothered by Ohio State LT Taylor Decker in the Fiesta Bowl, he suffered nerve damage in addition to two torn knee ligaments. "He's what people are looking for," another scout said. "He's just great in space. But that injury isn't good. You don't have control of your foot. It just drops." Finished with 284 tackles (23 ½ for loss), 4 ½ sacks and 6 big plays. Wonderlic of 18. "Not the brightest cookie in the room," a third scout said. "Probably have to line him up. I don't know if he's a natural player but once he sees it he can find it and go get it. Now he's got the knee and he's not a very bright kid. I wouldn't touch a kid like that. I have no idea where he goes. He's off my board. He's a run and hit 'will' linebacker." From Fort Wayne, Ind.

Hey folks, he's not only hurt, he's a dumbass too!

YAY!

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
weird, Patriots took Jacoby Brissett, QB NC St and Cook is still available, Cook must be a real a-hole in interviews or something

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Hey folks, he's not only hurt, he's a dumbass too!

I really think that the wonderlic is not a great measure of "football" intelligence. You can say it may be helpful with his ability to pick up the system and playbook, but that has to translate to the field by his actions, again that is "football" smarts and not book smarts. Again I would have gone Jack but what is done is done.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
So our defense now consists of an amphetamine junkie DE and another experiencing reefer madness. A bipolar MLB with questionable work ethic whose retired twice and can only be signed to 1 yr deals. 2 OLBs with reconstructed knees with one a twisted ankle and migraine away from missing another half season. A bust at CB, another over priced CB who hasn't had a pick since 2013, and a nickel back coming back from a reconstructed knee. Not to mention the safeties minus Byron Jones who are no better than cardboard cutouts.

Top Bottom