LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Aikman said this morning on his Ticket show Weeden wasn't to blame and he thought he played pretty well and did what the coaches asked. Troy put the loss more on the defense.

Which seemed pretty obvious to me.

So those three and outs in the second half, and the failure to get the run game going was all the defense's fault?

And even part of the first with the INT... that was the defense's fault?

The failure to make offensive adjustments to counteract the defensive adjustments by Atlanta... that was the defense's fault?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So those three and outs in the second half, and the failure to get the run game going was all the defense's fault?

The failure to make offensive adjustments to counteract the defensive adjustments by Atlanta... that was the defense's fault?
He didn't say the defense was 100% to blame, absolutely zero blame anywhere else on the team... I thought that was sort of common sense. Nothing is ever 100% perfect or 100% to blame.

Of course the INT was bad. And making offensive adjustments isn't on our backup QB.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He didn't say the defense was 100% to blame, absolutely zero blame anywhere else on the team... I thought that was sort of common sense. Nothing is ever 100% perfect or 100% to blame.

Of course the INT was bad. And making offensive adjustments isn't on our backup QB.

Of course not. I put most of this loss on the coaching, namely Garrett.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was pissed at Weeden after the game for loosing that lead. But the more I read on it and look back at the game he did a great job in the first half. I think it's safe to say he did a much better job than any of us or anyone anywhere ever expected. I mean he's 29-33 (or something like that) with a 102 QB rating. With one TD and one INT since taking over for Romo. For a back up I'd say that's pretty damn good. Those stats are better than a lot of starting QB's right now.

But he is just a back up and that's all he will ever be. If you look at stats for back up QB's they are traditionally pretty horrible. So are we getting what is expected out of a back up? Pretty much, and maybe a little more.

Having a back up come in and dominate and eventually become the starter like an Aaron Rodgers or a Tom Brady is rare.

We are lucky that Weeden has had as many reps as he has had in training camp and on Romo's rest day Wednesday's. He has gotten more first team snaps than probably any other back up out there

Now is he the ideal back up that we have been developing to eventually take over for Romo when he retires? No! And that's the front offices fuck up! It's something they have neglected for far toooooo long! We have been holding on to Weeden INSTEAD of looking for our next franchise QB

My hope is that this season for good or bad will finally light a fire under their asses and get them to find Romo's replacement and get him in the system and start developing him to eventually take over the offense.

I can see this playing out a few different ways. Weeden does enough to get us by but not enough to keep us in the hunt for the playoffs. But shows enough spark to ignite interest in him from another team and gets traded in the offseason. Cassel becomes the back up.

Or he screws the pooch sooner rather than later and Cassel steps in. Does well enough to keep us in the hunt. Becomes Romo's back up moving forward.

Weeden starts to perform up to his potential from college and wins us games putting us in a good spot for the play offs. Gets traded at the end of the season anyway lol

I just don't see Weeden proving that he can/will eventually replace Romo. With 8 Weeden run games to look at in the offseason I believe the coaches will finally decide that it's time to move on from Weeden and find a younger QB that they can develop into our new franchise QB

I don't believe there is any scenario where Weeden becomes "that guy".

He's already too old and has too much bad performance history for the coaches to ever believe he can be the starter

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'm thinking when there's a shit pie like the 2nd half against Atlanta,everybody gets to have a slice.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We are lucky that Weeden has had as many reps as he has had in training camp and on Romo's rest day Wednesday's. He has gotten more first team snaps than probably any other back up out there

Yeah right, all that practice gone to waste. What has it gotten us? And how did Weeden getting more snaps than any other backup manifest itself on the field?

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
You know what will probably happen this week, right.... Overcompensation and lots of shots downfield. We've seen it many times in the Garrett era, whether it be running it a ton after being criticized all week for not running or whatever.

Probably cause some interceptions but we'll show that media! :lol

I thought this as well Specifically on the first drive of the game for us. Guarantee a shot down the field

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah right, all that practice gone to waste. What has it gotten us? And how did Weeden getting more snaps than any other backup manifest itself on the field?

What I'm saying about the extra reps is his performance could have been much much worse like most back ups when they come into a game

He got us 28 points which is much better than most back ups are ever able to do

He completed most of his passes which is way better than most back ups do when pressed into a game. When he came in after Romo got hurt he went 7-7 and one 42 yard TD for a 100% completion rate. When do you ever see a back up perform like that? Never is the answer. He also now holds the Franchise record for most consecutive completions beating out the likes of Don Meredith, Craig Morton, Vinnie Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, Roger Starbach, Danny White, Troy Aikman and of coarse Tony Romo

Now am I saying that Weeden is the answer and should take over for Romo when he retires? No chance in hell.

I'm just saying that his performance could have been much worse like most back ups when they come into a game

He did what the coaches asked of him. The problem wasn't Weeden last game. It was the coaching. Weeden himself said he was following the game plan

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Things could be worse! We could still have Ryan Leaf as back up

Reaction score

The big problem with the team still stems from the head coach. Marinelli has taken responsibility for how the defense was not stopping Jones and Freeman. Garrett doesnt take any responsibility: the Falcons played better than we did. So logically, if given another chance he would have things done the exact same way but Marinelli would attempt to improve the team.

That being said, the "short pass/no shots downfield" flaw in the Cowboy game is nonsense. Whether a gain is a run of 5.6 yards or a run of 80 yards or whether a short pass goes for 5 yards and is turned into 60 from RAC, it doesn't matter. Plenty of offenses play intentional skill position RAC games. The point is that every series needs to accumulate enough gains for first downs or touchdowns. If Dallas used short passes to maintain the series (maintaining a methodical series downfield has been an Achilles heel for Jason for years until Callahan had his two years - especially last year) and got to the end zone even nice in the second half, chances are, they would have eliminated one of the opportunities for one of the Atlanta second half TDs as well just by time/possession economics. Could have been Dallas 35-Atlanta 32. But this issue is game management and authorizing the offense to be able to win desperately and surprisingly. Our own head coach will not allow his passing playbook to be replaced or his system to be improved with more intricate play calling. Since Jason's entire offense is based on WR routes, the only interesting flavor and seasonings that have been allowed were Sparanos and Callahans running plays. (Sparanos had very interesting laterals that Romo would kick out left and right, usually when Sparanos determined a certain side do the defense was more vulnerable). When Jason took over he would call for play action when Dallas was 3rd down and 20 from its own 15.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I believe Dunbar having an added role and more touches is Linehan's doing. Certainly not Garrett's Dunbar was being wasted. A lot of players have been wasted under Garrett.

Top Bottom