bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
the braintrust probably figured Weeden was good enough to carry us for one or two games in the event that Romo got hurt, and that the season would be over anyway if Romo was out for the year. what they didn't count on was Romo being out for an extended period of time but not the whole season.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
the braintrust probably figured Weeden was good enough to carry us for one or two games in the event that Romo got hurt, and that the season would be over anyway if Romo was out for the year. what they didn't count on was Romo being out for an extended period of time but not the whole season.
I definitely think that super cheap salary (isn't it only like 660k) was a big part of the attraction for the reason you said: If he's out for the year, no backup is taking us anywhere anyway.

That said, I think it's a mistake to put any faith whatsover in Cassel. Not sure he'd be a bit better, at least until Weeden starts turning it over 2-3 times per game.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's sad to say but we are looking to the best of the worst to win us games while Romo is gone. Is Cassel that much better than Weeden? Probably

I'll take Cassel over Moore every day of the week. Cassel isn't the best but at least he's started and won games at this level before, with Moore we really don't know what we are getting

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
despite not expecting them to win this game, I'm depressed. After that first half where they gave me hope only to have it yanked away and shoved up my ass is worse than just getting blown out from the get-go.

I don't see how they win another game with the QBs they have to roll out. I suspect they'll drop 4-5 in a row and then the team will start gambling and playing care free because they have nothing to lose and pull off an unexpected win or two to give us the illusion of hope when and if Romo/Dez return but they'll fall tantalizingly close to finish off this nut punch of a season and drop our draft pick in the process.

Here's the 2015 team fight song:

Gloom, Despair & Agony... - YouTube

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
despite not expecting them to win this game, I'm depressed. After that first half where they gave me hope only to have it yanked away and shoved up my ass is worse than just getting blown out from the get-go.

I don't see how they win another game with the QBs they have to roll out. I suspect they'll drop 4-5 in a row and then the team will start gambling and playing care free because they have nothing to lose and pull off an unexpected win or two to give us the illusion of hope when and if Romo/Dez return but they'll fall tantalizingly close to finish off this nut punch of a season and drop our draft pick in the process.
Way too negative, man. The Falcons are a pretty good team. They'd beaten the exact same teams we had, only they didn't lose their QB and star WR. The Saints are 0-3 and are definitely beatable especially if Brees doesn't play. And even if he does, who knows if his arm will work. They lost their first two with him.

There are lots of teams in this league even this injured Cowboys team should be able to beat. Only problem with the next few on our schedule is that we're mostly playing talented teams. If we had the Bucs and Dolphins, I think we would still be in good shape.

But if Dez can really come back when they claim (which I'm doubtful about) that will help a lot. People at the game said our WRs were never open downfield anyway.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Way too negative, man.

I know, I'm just beaten down by years of shit and then when it finally looks like we have a team that can make some noise, a huge chunk of our players are out because of injury. I just don't have confidence the O/Weeden can get us any W's. That slide by Weeden on 3rd and 1 instead of at least throwing the ball away sealed the deal on my opinion of him, that was horridly stupid and came across as just plain scared.

So i think its gonna take the defense and special teams to win in spite of the offense, who have looked like shit even with Romo in the games (with the exception of that first half yesterday and the last two drives vs NY).

On a side note, it also pisses me off to see Julio torch whatever team he plays despite what the defense does to stop him yet Dez can apparently be completely taken out of the game at stretches at a time. Either Dez isn't as good as advertised or somethings fucked up with the play calling.

I also don't like our finesse running game, Atlantas back up RB beat our defense to hell like Murray did to teams last year and while I was for restraint when it came to not signing Murray, I don't like that we don't have a punishing runner to wear down opposing teams defenses and make them think twice about making tackles. I also think our online is better when they're run blocking and that wears on a defense as well. Using dump off passes in lieu of running doesn't allow our big nasties to take i to the D-line. That kid for Atlanta ran hard and mean, I miss that.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I know, I'm just beaten down by years of shit and then when it finally looks like we have a team that can make some noise, a huge chunk of our players are out because of injury.
Everyone except Scandrick is coming back, though. We're only three games in and we do have a winning record. Plus this division still doesn't look great. I really think we're going to be fine for later in the year. Even if we don't have one of the best records like last year, who cares... Romo can win on the road in the playoffs.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You are right but we have to steal 2 maybe 3 wins of the 8 games Romo will miss. We had that game yesterday but Air Garrett can't or won't adjust, or adjusts poorly. We had that game.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You are right but we have to steal 2 maybe 3 wins of the 8 games Romo will miss. We had that game yesterday but Air Garrett can't or won't adjust, or adjusts poorly. We had that game.
No doubt... No way at halftime I'd have thought we'd lose by 11. Absolutely no way.

I do think the Falcons are a pretty good team, though, and not every team has a good QB and Julio Jones.

Now if our defense goes full 2012 again, I take it all back. We do have to stop someone sometime.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not Cowboys related, but the Cards and Patriots are by far the best two teams in football right now IMO. Long season and a lot can change, but right now those two look pretty awesome.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
No way at halftime I'd have thought we'd lose by 11. Absolutely no way.

When Atlanta was forced to punt in their first possession of the 2nd half and the Cowboys had 1st & 10 at their 47,I really thought we were about to step on their throat.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When Atlanta was forced to punt in their first possession of the 2nd half and the Cowboys had 1st & 10 at their 47,I really thought we were about to step on their throat.

Oh and me both

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Everyone except Scandrick is coming back, though. We're only three games in and we do have a winning record. Plus this division still doesn't look great. I really think we're going to be fine for later in the year. Even if we don't have one of the best records like last year, who cares... Romo can win on the road in the playoffs.

yeah, I get that but there's a lot that has to go right for that to happen and not just right but almost perfect. Romos gonna miss a minimum of 7 games and when he gets back he's gotta hit the ground running and play perfect ball (unlikely, as he and Dez will be rusty). If he's lucky, he might be able to lose one game depending upon what our record is. I think by the time he and Dez get back, its gonna be too late because the hole will be too deep. Its just asking for so many things to happen perfectly and the team not sustain further injuries and I cant help but believe that is statistically unlikely.

Having said that, if they managed to pull off a Giants like run to win it all, it would be beyond my wildest dreams and I would be happy as hell.

Reaction score
Go Kansas City.

Hopefully Aaron Rodgers gets injured tonight.

You know... for WC purposes. :/

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We are all assuming the when we get Romo and Dez back that we will win every game

Although I would love to believe that I feel it will take a game or two for them to both get in sync with the rest of the offense again

It will be basically like coming out of the off season with no pre season to get up to speed

Reaction score
I still think we can win some games once anyone but Weeden is QB and if we decide to run Michaels behind our OL.

Reaction score
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NEITHER PLAYED IT RIGHT

God damn our safeties.

@DMN_George: On Atlanta's 45-yard TD pass to Julio Jones, Cowboys CB Tyler Patmon was supposed to get help from both safeties and neither played it right

Reaction score
Safety has been a cursed position for us since what... 2003???

What in the absolute fuck?!?!?!?!?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We are all assuming the when we get Romo and Dez back that we will win every game

Although I would love to believe that I feel it will take a game or two for them to both get in sync with the rest of the offense again

It will be basically like coming out of the off season with no pre season to get up to speed

Thats my concern and then I cant help but wonder if they'll press Dez/Romo back into action too soon if they haven't won the number of games they feel they need to in order to be in the running for the playoffs. Things are very fragile and they need to catch some breaks asap before the season is lost.

They lose Sunday night and they're in deep shit

Top Bottom