Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Only question remaining is, will Green Bay shoot Ol' Yeller next week and put him out of his misery.

If they don't or can't, the sky's the limit right?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Might be a 49-10 drubbing coming next week.

I could see this undercoached, undermotivated team getting all full of themselves after the battle of the uglies tonight.

Hopefully GB will be the Clapper's send off just like it was for Wade

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The difference will be GB will score TD's instead of FG's. I think we compete early but GB pulls away.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dilfer "this was the battle of bad football"

Yep

Yep, and Steve Young called it HS level football. Except my local HS coach would know how to ensure a win at the end of the game with the best kicker in the NFL. Just another example of Garrett's complete game calling/clock management ineptitude that will get lost in the win.

Reaction score
Yep.

Easy call.

Sad thing is we had them in 3rd and long twice and couldn't even come close to getting them off the field.

Aside from quoting yourself, for weeks now the defense has been keeping the score of the games within just one solid TD series away from Dallas winning. But then when the Dallas offense fails to produce anything but a few FGs and one sundry TD, the defense gets the heat for the loss. The offense is not scoring points, period.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Aside from quoting yourself, for weeks now the defense has been keeping the score of the games within just one solid TD series away from Dallas winning. But then when the Dallas offense fails to produce anything but a few FGs and one sundry TD, the defense gets the heat for the loss. The offense is not scoring points, period.

There's no question the offense is performing poorly, and it isnt just the games started by the backups.

Other than a few series, the offense was no better with Romo at QB this year either.

Reaction score
The offense blows and I don't put that on linehan. This is Garrett's same shitty 1985 scheme that has only worked with Romo changing plays around. You see what the offense truly is now with no audibles or improvisation. This is what happens when you think a guy with one year of QB coaching experience and some motivational books is qualified to run any pro offense, not to mention one that's innovative enough to give your team an advantage.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The offense blows and I don't put that on linehan. This is Garrett's same shitty 1985 scheme that has only worked with Romo changing plays around. You see what the offense truly is now with no audibles or improvisation. This is what happens when you think a guy with one year of QB coaching experience and some motivational books is qualified to run any pro offense, not to mention one that's innovative enough to give your team an advantage.

And he did nothing to distinguish himself as a QB coach. The following year... he becomes the HIGHEST-PAID OC in the league, without EVER calling a single play. Talk about falling upwards.

Reaction score
Yep, and Steve Young called it HS level football. Except my local HS coach would know how to ensure a win at the end of the game with the best kicker in the NFL. Just another example of Garrett's complete game calling/clock management ineptitude that will get lost in the win.

Quite true.

Garrett engaged in fundamental mismanagement of the game during the final few minutes. It was so obvious that even Jerry noticed it. In his remarks after the game, it was clear that Jerry questioned the Garrett's approach to closing out the game.

Reaction score
"Now, in that situation the nine yards is a good, but keeping the clock running is paramount and we didn’t do that," Garrett said. "So it’s second-and-1 and they still have their two timeouts, so the thinking becomes, ‘We need to get the first down now.’ If we run it, they call timeout; we run it, they call timeout. All of a sudden we’re kicking a field goal and they get it back and we’re up three with over a minute, and in this league teams go down the field and kick game-tying field goals in those situations. So it was incumbent upon us to make a first down after that.

"We had a good discussion about how we should approach that next part of it. We have a play in place where you say, ‘Make the first down, but don’t score the touchdown.’ We work on that a lot. In my mind, what we wanted to do was play football at that point. We felt like they were going to play football. One of the reasons we thought they were going to play football is they had some success in short-yardage situations earlier. Sometimes, when you get in that mode, ‘Ok make the first but don’t score,’ what happens is you don’t come off the ball, you don’t make the first. So what we wanted to do, given what we thought they would do to try to play defense, we wanted to come off and have our best football play. What happened was we scored a touchdown on it.

Read more here: Cowboys coach Jason Garrett explains clock management decisions at end of Redskins game | The Star-Telegram

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Ginger said:
Sometimes, when you get in that mode, ‘Ok make the first but don’t score,’ what happens is you don’t come off the ball, you don’t make the first.
You FIX that in the practices of it you fucking just claimed to have.

This is all after the fact crap someone told him he needed to say, he didn't realize any of it during the game.

Reaction score
This is all after the fact crap someone told him he needed to say, he didn't realize any of it during the game.

For sure. And the national media is starting to pick up on Jerry's criticism too now, so I'm surprised Ginger hasn't gone into full damage control and started throwing McFadden, Cassel and Linehan under the bus yet. That'll be the next phase of this.

"It's a football play we discuss each stacked football practice and it's a football play that they were told to perform in that football game. They need to be smarter football players. They didn't follow my football play instructions but fortunately I had a football plan in place to win that football game."

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
For sure. And the national media is starting to pick up on Jerry's criticism too now, so I'm surprised Ginger hasn't gone into full damage control and started throwing McFadden, Cassel and Linehan under the bus yet. That'll be the next phase of this.

"It's a football play we discuss each stacked football practice and it's a football play that they were told to perform in that football game. They need to be smarter football players. They didn't follow my football play instructions but fortunately I had a football plan in place to win that football game."

Let me take a stab at it.

"Football is PLAYED on Sundays. We PRACTICE football during the week. The FOOTBALL PLAY that we perform on FOOTBALL SUNDAYS, is a culmination of the FOOTBALL PRACTICES during the FOOTBALL WEEK. If we want to PLAY football better on FOOTBALL Sunday, we have to PRACTICE football better on FOOTBALL WEEK."

Reaction score
You FIX that in the practices of it you fucking just claimed to have.

This is true. His response after the game was "we have to fix the mistakes on offense and defense and special teams" which was completely a slap in the face to a defensive effort that was not matched by the offense. Marinelli obviously had a plan that effectively took the Redskins by surprise until they adjusted. Garrett and Linehan had so many failures and such scattered successes that I really doubt there was a game plan at all. But afterward, Garrett made the statement that the defense played very well but the offense needed to not make mistakes, i.e. "Leaving some WRs open". Apparently there is nothing in this offense except WR routes and QB reads of those routes. So it's not that the plays fail and/or that the defense defended the Dallas offense well. It's also not that the running plays worked better laterally than between the tackles for DMC and Turbin could manage 3YPC without an offensive line.

It's that every terrible running play that was directed into the backs of the Dallas O-line,
every pass play that looked like panic because no one was open and the Redskins pressure was too much,
and every time a successful play was inexplicably not repeated
WERE ALL SOMEHOW JUSTIFIED AS THE BEST POSSIBLE ACTION OF THE TEAM AT THAT MOMENT AND IF THE OFFENSIVE PLAYERS HAD RUN THE PLAY RIGHT, EACH PLAY WOULD HAVE WORKED.

Top Bottom