Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada180

Spectator
Reaction score
Please tell me wtf is the advantage of lining Ratliff or any other lineman up at a safety position gonna do .?

Really.wtf

C

Cr122

TE Martellus Bennett didn't turn around to catch a pass by Tony Romo down the left sideline in which he was open on the play.

sierra_telephone_typical_employee.jpg

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Not sure what the pic of one of your family members mean. I think most of us understand that you come from a degenerate gene pool, but thanks for the evidence.

But aside from that, you are really reaching. That's how bad you got it in for Bennett that you have are reduced to trying to tear him down over one missed pass in training camp and nevermind that he has been singled for the most part of having the best camp than anyone. But have you notice that there seems to not have been any mention of Phillips during camp other than that his legs are supposedly better. Very conspicuous.

Here's what I find interesting. Since you wanted Bennett to be traded and yet at the same time you think Phillips is better than Bennett, who do you think would fetch more in a trade? And if Phillips is better---according to you and others, why not trade Phillips and get the best (highest) draft pick possible?

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Observations from Day 11 of Cowboys training camp practice

Observations from Day 11 of Cowboys training camp practice (QB Tony Romo sharp again; WR Miles Austin has a big day)

By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com | Bio
7:37 PM on Mon., Aug. 8, 2011 | Permalink

OBSERVATION DECK:
Here's what I saw from the Cowboys' 11th training camp practice Monday afternoon at the Alamodome in San Antonio:

• QB Tony Romo followed his sharp work in Sunday's Blue-White scrimmage with another great day. He had only a few incompletions in team drills and 7-on-7 work, much improved from a rough stretch a few days ago. Romo's most-creative play came when he slung the football back-handed for a short completion over the middle to TE Martellus Bennett.

• Bennett caught a touchdown pass that was behind him from Romo in a goal-line drill. Later, Bennett dropped a high pass from QB Jon Kitna. Bennett was wide open later on a screen pass to the right and, with only one Cowboys player on that side, scored easily.

• The last two days, the Cowboys have put in a lot of work in goal-line situations. The defense won out Monday, adding to the concern that Dallas might struggle in short-yardage situations this season. From the 1, LBs Kenwin Cummings and Sean Lee stuffed RB Lonyae Miller on a run left, safeties Danny McCray and Barry Church stuffed RB Phillip Tanner on a run left and LB Mike Balogun dropped RB Frank Warren for a loss as he tried to get around the right corner.

• Undrafted rookie free agent kicker Dan Bailey (Oklahoma State) continued to impress by making all four of his field goal attempts (26, 32, 36 and 43 yards) to make him 33-for-38 overall in camp. Starter David Buehler went 3-for-4 on field goal attempts, missing wide left from 36 yards, and is now 28-for-41 overall in camp.

• Safety Danny McCray played tight coverage on WR Dez Bryant on a slant pass to the left, reaching in as the ball arrived to knock it away. Later, McCray rushed up the middle for a would-be sack of Jon Kitna.

• Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings attended practice Monday. He spent some time talking to coach Jason Garrett at midfield after practice.

• WR Miles Austin made a leaping, twisting catch on a deep pass over the middle from Tony Romo. Later, Austin beat CB Alan Ball for a touchdown catch from Romo. Austin also made a great catch on a slant route in the end zone by reaching around CB Orlando Scandrick, who had tight coverage on him. He proceeded to spike the football emphatically after the grab.

• LB DeMarcus Ware sniffed out an end-around run by Jesse Holley, stopping him for a loss. LB Anthony Spencer beat rookie RT Tyron Smith to pressure Tony Romo.

• Undrafted free agent rookie WR Raymond Radway made a nice catch on a low pass on the right side, grabbing it just before it hit the field. Radway also made a catch along the back, middle of the end zone in drills.

• LB Victor Butler began team drills with an athletic interception of a Stephen McGee pass. Butler and LB Brandon Williams continue to impress coaches in camp.

• Backup QB Jon Kitna didn't get much help from his offensive line during one series. DE Marcus Spears made a strong inside move for a would-be sack of Kitna, LB Sean Lee blitzed up the middle for a would-be sack of Kitna and safety Andrew Sendejo would have sacked Kitna.

• DE Clifton Geathers knocked down a Stephen McGee pass at the line of scrimmage.

• Fourth-string QB Tom Brandstater, who signed Sunday, had a rough beginning. His fumbled his first snap under center in team drills. His next pass was knocked down in the backfield by LB Alex Albright. His third pass, however, ended well. From the shotgun, he laced a pass over the middle to TE Martin Rucker for a touchdown.

• Undrafted rookie free agent WR James Cleveland (Houston) dropped another pass in 1-on-1 drills, this time on a slant route from Brandstater.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
WTF, Buehler?

3 would be sacks in one series? Nice.

Tom Brandstater is a POS. Did we need another camp arm that bad?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tom Brandstater is a POS. Did we need another camp arm that bad?

Yeah, you dont want to wear Romo out and they are probably thinking about a QB for the practice squad.

Most likely just taking a closer look at someone they had a little interest in two yrs ago

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Alan Ball should just be cut. Dude sucks. Corner. Safety. Doesn't matter. Dude just sucks.

It wasn't a year ago when dbair and the sunshine pumping crew said Alan Ball was a promising young talent and Wade was a defensive genius. Funny how those 2 are now the sole reasons why we sucked last year.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
It wasn't a year ago when dbair and the sunshine pumping crew said Alan Ball was a promising young talent and Wade was a defensive genius. Funny how those 2 are now the sole reasons why we sucked last year.

That doesn't surprise me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I'm surprised Ball was as bad as he was, and Wade was horrible.

But those two werent the only reasons our team flopped last yr. Other than Ware not a single defensive player can say they had a good season. The OL, led by Colombo and Davis was atrocious. And we lost too many key guys to injuries.

Reaction score
• The defense won out Monday, adding to the concern that Dallas might struggle in short-yardage situations this season.

Signing a guard worth a shit would help.

• Undrafted rookie free agent kicker Dan Bailey (Oklahoma State) continued to impress by making all four of his field goal attempts (26, 32, 36 and 43 yards) to make him 33-for-38 overall in camp. Starter David Buehler went 3-for-4 on field goal attempts, missing wide left from 36 yards, and is now 28-for-41 overall in camp.

Beuhler has to go. 28 for 41 is unacceptable. I hoped he would've improved in the off season, but I think Bailey is clearly the better kicker.

• Safety Danny McCray played tight coverage on WR Dez Bryant on a slant pass to the left, reaching in as the ball arrived to knock it away. Later, McCray rushed up the middle for a would-be sack of Jon Kitna.

My expectations for this guy is that he will spend a number of years on the roster as a special teams demon. Nothing more. If he could prove to be a decent dime defender, or reserve safety, then that'd be icing on the cake.

• LB DeMarcus Ware sniffed out an end-around run by Jesse Holley, stopping him for a loss.

I think this Ware character might be an okay player.

• LB Victor Butler began team drills with an athletic interception of a Stephen McGee pass. Butler and LB Brandon Williams continue to impress coaches in camp.

2009 draft class representin'!

• Backup QB Jon Kitna didn't get much help from his offensive line during one series. DE Marcus Spears made a strong inside move for a would-be sack of Kitna,

You know your line sucks when Spears is getting a sack.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm surprised Ball was as bad as he was, and Wade was horrible.

But those two werent the only reasons our team flopped last yr. Other than Ware not a single defensive player can say they had a good season. The OL, led by Colombo and Davis was atrocious. And we lost too many key guys to injuries.

Another myth of the sunshine crew.

We were 1-5 with Romo starting, 5-5 without him. Dez Bryant was injured Week 13. Marc Colombo missed the first few games but wait, he sucked, so what were we missing there?

The reason we failed last year was bringing back a lackadaisical Head Coach who the players would eventually quit on and Jerry's do-nothing 2010 off-season.

Reaction score
Yeah, we lost last year because of poor coaching and preparation.

There were a few bounces that didn't go our way as well. And injuries didn't help.

But last years debacle is on Wade.

Reaction score
And when it was mentioned that Wade or the OL wasnt good you would get the usual "They went 13-3 lets jsut repalce the hole teem than!"

theogt

Reaction score
And when it was mentioned that Wade or the OL wasnt good you would get the usual "They went 13-3 lets jsut repalce the hole teem than!"
When you're 13-3, you get some leeway. That doesn't mean that whatever you do is golden. It just means you're exempt from incessant bitching.

But after a season and a half of the team sucking, you lose that leeway and exemption. In that sense, just because it's acceptable to complain now doesn't mean it was acceptable to complain when we were 13-3.

Reaction score
When you're 13-3, you get some leeway. That doesn't mean that whatever you do is golden. It just means you're exempt from incessant bitching.

But after a season and a half of the team sucking, you lose that leeway and exemption. In that sense, just because it's acceptable to complain now doesn't mean it was acceptable to complain when we were 13-3.

Its not complaining when you want to replace the guy who got you killed against Minnesota.

Yes, the OL was good enough to get them to the elite 8 and put up tons of points, but you have to appreciate Romo and the playmakers. And you cant ignore their downfalls of a guy like Marc Colombo. People pointed to the injury but it just exacerbated his situation. He was just shot and was obviously headed towards disaster.

A lot of people love that guy though and held on til the very end.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Another myth of the sunshine crew.

We were 1-5 with Romo starting, 5-5 without him. Dez Bryant was injured Week 13. Marc Colombo missed the first few games but wait, he sucked, so what were we missing there?

The reason we failed last year was bringing back a lackadaisical Head Coach who the players would eventually quit on and Jerry's do-nothing 2010 off-season.

We didn't do nothing in the 2009 off-season, except cut 6 starters: T.O., Ellis, Williams (safety), Canty, Thomas, Henry, and supporters like Johnson and Pacman. Then we only added Brookings, Sensebaugh, and Olshansky. And let's not talk about the 2009 draft. But I get your point.

It takes a couple of years for the damage wrought by Wade's laid-back approach to manifest.

C

Cr122

Broaddus - Scout's Eye, Day 12: Secondary concerns

Scout's Eye, Day 12: Secondary concerns
August, 9, 2011

By Bryan Broaddus

SAN ANTONIO -- With nearly two weeks of camp completed by Jason Garrett and his squad, there are still some critical pressure points that will need to be addressed before the front office and coaches make those final cuts on Sept. 3.

What would the signings of Abe Elam and Gerald Sensabaugh at safety do for this team? As camp opened, Barry Church and Akawsi Owusu-Ansah were the two starters but the more you watched practice, the more you realized that the team was going to have to do much more there because I just didn’t see it with Owusu-Ansah. For a player that was billed to have cover skills, there were too many days of not showing any.

On Church, I will say this he can be a nice fit in this Ryan scheme because the safeties are interchangeable and he showed me some cover skill when he carried Miles Austin down the middle of the field on a route where I would have never believed that he could have run that well. Church has also been a physical player in the running game. In my view, Church can help Elam and Sensabaugh as a quality backup and be a core special teamer.

This position was one of my major pressure points when camp opened, but with those two signings, I now move those points to two different areas on the defense.

The Terence Newman injury at left corner and how it will play out this season affects two spots. Orlando Scandrick is now the starter at corner and can more than handle the job but when the team goes to nickel, now he shifts to the slot and it brings Alan Ball into the game. Ball has struggled early in camp but did make a nice play in the one-on-one against Austin on a fade to the corner.

The problem is that when you usually are playing nickel, you are trying to get off the field on third down The staff will need to figure out if Ball really is the best option or if Bryan McCann and Josh Thomas would be better suited for the role.

My bet would be on McCann. He is smart, aware and more than talented enough to battle on the outside.

Thomas had one of his best days of camp but needs to learn what his responsibilities and techniques are before he can really challenge for a job.

*Was not one bit surprised by the coaches moving Kyle Kosier to right guard to at least see how that would help with the communication along the offensive line with the rookies David Arkin and Tyron Smith. It was a move that I brought up to my Football Show (Saturdays 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on ESPN 103.3 FM) partners Tim MacMahon and Ted Emrich last week.

Garrett told us that when camp opened that the coaches would take the opportunity to work the offensive line at various positions during camp. An example of that was Smith opening at left tackle and Sam Young on the right side.

Offensive line coach Hudson Houck spoke in glowing terms about what Kosier does for this offensive line just in meetings. Kosier will ask questions that he already knows the answers to just so the rookies will hear Houck explain them.

My scouting report on Arkin when he came out of college was that he was a left tackle but had played some guard so the position was not totally new to him. He said after practice that it was a huge help to be working with Doug Free on the left side and the communication was great.

Houck also said that Smith was quiet by nature -- much like Jackie Slater and Larry Allen, who both played for Houck. By moving Kosier to his side, Smith will never have to feel like he will not know what the blocking scheme will be. That will allow him to play his technique and not worry if he is seeing the right thing in the protection. The same goes with Arkin on the left side as well as he works with the veteran Free.

Smart move overall by Garrett and the staff to make the transition as easy as possible for the two rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom