dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sensational win. What a game. Thats two really amazing games in a row we've witnessed. One vs the super bowl champs, the other vs the team the champs beat in the super bowl. Both of those teams were expected to make super bowl runs again. I've said it every week now, but I'm proud of this team again. Great effort, great gut check kind of win. They got off to a great start (almost the exact opp of the New Orleans game) and then had to overcome alot of adversity on the road after that blocked punt for TD. I have no doubt if Wade were still our coach, we'd have been blown out again yesterday and our recrod would either be 2-10 or 1-11

1) I dont know how much more obvious it could be for Jones, but Garrett is our man. I know he probably cant say it due to the ignorant Rooney rule, but Garrett is doing a tremendous job. The team is prepared. The team looks well coached. The offense is playing very well, despite having to play a 38yr old backup QB and an OL that is mediocre at best. The defense has alot of shortcomings, but they've been outstanding vs the run and have come up with alot of timely turnovers. The blocking and tackling are both improved since he took over. We'll win a championship with this guy as a HC. I cant wait to see what he does in the offseason with coaches and personnel.

2) I loved the way we physically dominated running the ball and stopping the run yesterday, my only complaint would be we still cant run that well in short yardage. Choice had a great game overall, but the results in short yardage were no different with him than they were with Barber, in fact Choice had even less success. (he failed on 3rd and short on our 2nd drive of the game, and I think he got 4 attempts to score inside the 2yr line, and he couldnt get in) Thats more of a product of a mediocre OL than anything else though IMO. Still, if I were them I'd run less from the tight formations in short yardage. Our run defense has been really solid since Garrett took over, and they're doing it without their best run stopper with Spears being on IR.

3) Jon Kitna, another solid all around game. Missed one or two that Romo probably wouldnt have, but another winning effort. Two perfect throws down on the GL when we had to have them, the TD to Witten and the 2pt conv to RW.

4) Great game as noted above by Choice. Really solid game for Felix Jones too. I hope Barber never sees the field here again.

5) Sean Lee, welcome to being a big time ILB. Kid had a great game and was an OBVIOUS upgrade over Brooking on pass downs. And it wasnt just the two picks, he was all over making plays. Scouts nailed it with this guy.

6) Special teams were pretty bad again. The kickoff and punt coverage was fine, but McCann was terrible and easily could have had 2 or 3 fumbles. Hurd's hold negated a huge play by Bryant. The blocked punt was nearly a killer. Even Buehler's GW FG looked close to being blocked. They gotta shore this stuff up.

7) Unsung heros from yesterday. Lonyae Miller great fumble recovery to save the game. The other- Andre Gurode. Gurode pointed out to the officials the same Colts guy who was flagged for the "leverage" penalty had tried the same move on a previous FG. So the refs saw it on that short one in the 4th qtr, and we got a fresh 4 downs because of it. We probably dont win the game without that TD and 2pt conversion there.

8) Love the improved run defense and the dramatic increase in turnovers, but I dont think Pasqualoni will be the permanent DC. There were a few exceptions, but for the most part we had no pass rush to speak of yesterday.

9) Buehler, like him more every week. I know he missed the 48 yarder, but those arnt gimmees and he didnt miss it badly. He hit it well. He's murdering the ball on kickoffs again too.

10) Really sux about losing Bryant. I guess the fortunate thing is its a fracture and should heal 100% without any lingering problems. He should be fine for training camp, and probably before then will be. A torn ligament would have put some of next season potentially in doubt.

11) Alan Ball now has made more plays in the past month than Ken Hamlin did his last two years here. And Orlando Scandrick is probably playing the best football of his career.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Kitna also made a couple of clutch throws that Romo wouldn't have. That fade to Roy for the 2 pt conversion, and he had another fade for a TD.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
It was a great win. I was glad to see Beeler got mauled after the game winner, he has the leg and when he missed it's not a hook or a slice, it's more of an aiming issue. I really want to see him get better. He's a weapon.

I was also happy to see the defense come through for a change late when they needed to do so. The offense has been at a huge disadvantage for years playing with this defense. They rarely ever give the offense a short feild. Props to them.

Garrett still has some growing to do, but I like where he's heading. Clock management and tough decisions are where he needs work, imo.

Doug Free continues to prove me right. The guy is a j.a.g out there at LT, we need to upgrade asap. Preferably before he gets paid like a top level LT. Don't we know it's coming in the offseason?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Kitna also made a couple of clutch throws that Romo wouldn't have. That fade to Roy for the 2 pt conversion, and he had another fade for a TD.

I dont know about that, when Romo is on (which is most of the time) he throws with alot of touch and accuracy.

That said, I'm thrilled with Kitna. He was a superb acquisition and I hope we can keep him for at least 1 more yr. Not sure what his contract status is.

sbk92

Reaction score

Romo made that same throw to Roy against Washington last year.

sbk92

Reaction score
Kitna has been solid. Nothing more than that. He's done some good things. He's taking care of the football. But he misses some big plays.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'd jam on the e-brake with that Garrett will win a championship here talk.

Even if he's an outstanding head coach, he needs the personnel side to do their part.

That personnel side consists of Jerry and Stephen Jones. So I'm less than hopeful.

Reaction score

Yeah maybe but I doubt it...I know one thing for sure.....

Nearly every time Kitna has been sacked, Romo in the same situation would have dodged, evaded and probably made a play down field to Austin or Dez.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I dont know about that, when Romo is on (which is most of the time) he throws with alot of touch and accuracy.

That said, I'm thrilled with Kitna. He was a superb acquisition and I hope we can keep him for at least 1 more yr. Not sure what his contract status is.

Romo made that same throw to Roy against Washington last year.
He also horribly botched 2 fades to Bennett on back to back throws last year. The fade is probably Tony's only real weakness.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yeah maybe but I doubt it...I know one thing for sure.....

Nearly every time Kitna has been sacked, Romo in the same situation would have dodged, evaded and probably made a play down field to Austin or Dez.

True, but Romo hasn't had a TD run as long as Kitna''s.

sbk92

Reaction score
He also horribly botched 2 fades to Bennett on back to back throws last year. The fade is probably Tony's only real weakness.

Do we need to point out the throws Kitna misses?

What is this, a debate on who the better QB is? Romo could show up drunk and win that one.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Do we need to point out the throws Kitna misses?

What is this, a debate on who the better QB is? Romo could show up drunk and win that one.

It's not that, just pointing out that Kitna made some throws that Romo is notoriously poor at throwing.

Kitna is actually a poor man's Romo if you think about it: fairly mobile, a gunslinger.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's not that, just pointing out that Kitna made some throws that Romo is notoriously poor at throwing.

Kitna is actually a poor man's Romo if you think about it: fairly mobile, a gunslinger.

Garrett pointed out at the time of the trade that one of the reasons they liked Kitna and wanted to trade for him is because they saw some similarities to Romo, and wouldnt have to make many alterations to the offense if Kitna had to play.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd jam on the e-brake with that Garrett will win a championship here talk.

Even if he's an outstanding head coach, he needs the personnel side to do their part.

That personnel side consists of Jerry and Stephen Jones. So I'm less than hopeful.

There's alot of talent on this team. Jones isnt the guy I'd credit solely for acquiring it all, but he certainly has had a role.

That said, I think he defers to the coaches and scouts far more than people acknowledge. He just makes a convenient scape goat when things go bad.

sbk92

Reaction score
There's alot of talent on this team. Jones isnt the guy I'd credit solely for acquiring it all, but he certainly has had a role.

That said, I think he defers to the coaches and scouts far more than people acknowledge. He just makes a convenient scape goat when things go bad.

lol A convenient scapegoat.

That's right, gentlemen. Jerry's just the easy guy to blame for this whole worst era of Cowboys football you've experienced since he was "miserable" during the dynasty of the 90's and decided to pretend he was an NFL GM.

The poor fella.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
lol A convenient scapegoat.

That's right, gentlemen. Jerry's just the easy guy to blame for this whole worst era of Cowboys football you've experienced since he was "miserable" during the dynasty of the 90's and decided to pretend he was an NFL GM.

The poor fella.

If you think he's running the team the same way today that he did from 1994-2002, your freaking brain dead.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I'm inclined to agree with this. It's the unknowledgeable fans that have their thumb on the default button: BLAME JERRY.

These people are quick to blame Jerry for EVERYTHING wrong with the Cowboys, but are no where to give him credit when deserved

There is alot that Jerry can be blamed for, no doubt. He definitely should have fired Wade sooner. He should have recognized before it got to that point, that Wade had lost the team. Had he done so, we would be contending for a playoff spot.

Top Bottom