dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess I should be happy with a W, especially after I was pretty certain we'd lose the game. There were a few things to be happy with but for the most part I came away with a feeling of this was a battle of two bad teams with bad coaches and staffs and somebody had to win.

1) Obviously the story (and a good one) continues to be Dak Prescott. I at least sort of keep expecting him to take some steps back as he's a rookie mid round pick, and he continues to impress. Played exceptionally well yesterday again. Definitely doesn't look like a guy that should have been picked as late as the end of the 4th. Definitely has a bright future and for the first time in years it does appear we have a true, young QB of the future (and of the now)

2) Pretty disappointed with Zeke's fumbles. The 1st one he looked like he was actually covering the ball up well and Norman just made an exceptional play, but the 2nd one seemed pretty careless and at that point of the game it was inexcusable. Good to see the coaches bench him right then. He definitely has to work on this as both the Giants and Redskins seemed to go overboard trying to rip the ball out on him. I think he had either one or zero fumbles at OSU, but the effort both these teams have made ripping it out tells me that they must have seen something on film they believe they can take advantage of. He ran the ball better than last week and seemed to be more patient so that's good, also had another short yardage TD run. Would love to see them get him more involved in the passing game though whether its on designed screens or just outlet/dump off passes. Gotta protect that football though.

3) Good bounce back for Dez, seemed to get open with ease and made the kind of contribution I think everyone believes he should be making week in and week out. They seemed to use him much differently than last week, so hopefully this continues.

4) Sure sign of the apocalypse- Barry Church making a play that matters vs the pass. Everyone should probably save that clip, may never happen again.

5) Strange but true: Through two games, Cowboy DL sacks= 3, Giants DL sacks= 0 (zero)

6) Defense got owned most of the game but Lee and Durant both made huge plays on 2nd to last Redskins drive to force turnover on downs, Byron Jones saved points by running down Josh Doctson on long pass play (I think Broaddus said it was Carr who busted the coverage there). As others mentioned I think as bad as the defense was, it could have been much worse. Bad throws by Cousins cost them a couple TD's I think. One of those was a really long throw but the other was a gimmee that he missed early.

7) I know there's probably some truth to what John Lynch was saying during the game about Marinelli just not having much to work with on defense, but these coaches compound the problem by making what I believe are stupid playing time decisions. JJ Wilcox and Church are both awful in coverage and always have been. One is slow as molasses and the other takes bad angles virtually every time. Why the hell would you want BOTH these guys on the field on obvious passing downs then? Kyle Wilbur should not be getting any meaningful snaps on defense either, especially on obvious passing downs. He cant play in space and so far has been a total zero trying to generate any rush.

8) While I am ranting on active roster decisions, in a league where some teams don't have a single FB, we chose to activate two. Why? Neither is very good at doing what a FB needs to do in an offense. Is having two FB's active more important than having a guy like DE Ryan Davis active? At least he has SOME pass rush production in his career, and yet there he was yesterday deactivated, while we had two FB's active. Seems he could have added some value on a number of those 2nd or 3rd and long passing situations. Also, instead of having slow, poor angle safeties like Wilcox and Church in the nickel/dime sets, wouldn't it make more sense to have someone like rookie CB Anthony Brown out there? He has size and something most of our defense lacks, real speed plus he showed he will go after the ball in the air. I don't recall seeing him on the field any. Saw plenty of gimpy legged Orlando Scandrick though. I also don't get this infatuation with Lance Dunbar. Yes, he can catch the ball. No, he isn't an elite weapon. You can tell he doesn't have the same quickness or speed pre-injury, so he is a JAG. One of the reasons you draft a Zeke Elliott 4th overall is because he isn't a 1 dimensional player, he can also excel at receiving and blocking. So why waste ANOTHER active spot on a small JAGGY RB who offers nothing as a runner or pass protection guy vs the blitz? We have two superb RB's in Elliott and Morris, Dunbar is a waste.

9) David Irving didn't make any tackles but was credited with 3 pressures/QB hits. I couldn't tell if he played any more than he did last week vs NYG, but he should probably keep getting more time in weeks ahead.

10) It didn't work, but liked that for once Garrett showed some balls and tried something aggressive. Bailey's onside attempt wasn't one of the better attempts I've ever seen though and its too bad, it appeared they had a chance had it went far enough. Good call to go on 4th and 1 or so early in game too, that results in long gain to Swaim and a TD by Elliott two plays later.

11) I still don't want to say I'm a believer, but Morris Claiborne had another good effort. I don't think he is at the "good" player level yet, but compared to where he was in previous years he has definitely improved. Still want to se him prove it for more weeks consecutively and show he can stay healthy, but encouraging start to the season for him.

12) Onto my favorite people to bash, refs. I don't understand how they could call what they did on Travis Frederick (nice run Prescott had for a 1st on 3rd down) and then ignore what the Skins RT did to Mayowa on that final heave up the ball play. Also not sure why they flagged Claiborne for defensive holding on Redskins first scoring drive. Lastly, I'm pretty sure I've seen Romo pummeled much worse than what Hitchens did to Cousins and its almost never called.

I still have pretty low expectations for the season. Like I said during the week I don't think the Giants are very good either and we lost at home to them, then followed that up with a close win over another bad team in Washington. Curious to see both Philly and Chicago tonight.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I still don't want to say I'm a believer, but Morris Claiborne had another good effort.
Because the two plays where he was torched, were overthrown passes. He is a huge liability in coverage and other teams know it, that is why they keep throwing deep on him.
It didn't work, but liked that for once Garrett showed some balls and tried something aggressive.
Unexpected, would be the word. For the first time he did something totally unpredictable. The fact that it didn't work probably assures we'll never see anything like that again from "risk averse" Ginger. "Aggressive" to me would be, the occasional long pass on 1st and 10 we never see.
Bailey's onside attempt wasn't one of the better attempts I've ever seen though and its too bad
Yeah, too bad they very likely don't practice it nearly enough. But what really happened there was Bailey simply didn't get the big bounce they're looking for on that type of kick. The ball bounces in funny ways, or it doesn't bounce at all and just squibbles along the ground, there's no accounting for it. Not Bailey's fault at all. Had the big bounce happened we were in position, and probably recover. The vagaries of the game.

Overall, we're still just a sub-mediocre team which should be 2-0 after beating worse sub-mediocre teams. Ginger is gonna have to figure out that we need 35-plus points every game, since our D can't seem to do shit. Need to throw some long balls - chance for the interference call being totally ignored when in reality it's almost as likely as a catch. Why again, don't we throw long, ever? Can someone tell me? Oh, because we're "risk-averse" and not aggressive.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
4) Sure sign of the apocalypse- Barry Church making a play that matters vs the pass. Everyone should probably save that clip, may never happen again.

shades of Neal O'Donnell in SB 30

Kyle Wilbur should not be getting any meaningful snaps on defense either, especially on obvious passing downs. He cant play in space and so far has been a total zero trying to generate any rush.

Kills me that we took him in the 4th round before Mike Daniels, who was kicking ass for the Packers last night.

11) I still don't want to say I'm a believer, but Morris Claiborne had another good effort. I don't think he is at the "good" player level yet, but compared to where he was in previous years he has definitely improved. Still want to see him prove it for more weeks consecutively and show he can stay healthy, but encouraging start to the season for him.

I dunno. Jackson beat him deep for a sure deep TD in the 2nd Q but Cousins overthrew him. Garcon beat him to the inside on 4th and 1 but Dunbar saved his bacon.

vlcsnap-2016-09-19-17h13m35s627.jpg

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I dunno. Jackson beat him deep for a sure deep TD in the 2nd Q but Cousins overthrew him. Garcon beat him to the inside on 4th and 1 but Dunbar saved his bacon.

He was supposed to have help both times though. The long one wasn't it Wilcox again who was late getting over?

The difference on the slant route is Durant got to here he was supposed to.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Because the two plays where he was torched, were overthrown passes. He is a huge liability in coverage and other teams know it, that is why they keep throwing deep on him..

I know what one of them was and I thought the help was late getting there (the 3rd and long play he tried to get to Jackson), what was the other one?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
yes, but why does a cb drafted in the top 10 need help?
Obviously he does, from various defenders of him who for whatever reason, just refuse to fucking let go and admit this dumbass is a total BUST.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, but why does a cb drafted in the top 10 need help?

View attachment 3515

I don't call the defenses. That said, Desean Jackson is one of the fastest guys in football.

Wilcox does what he always does, is late getting there or doesn't get there at all. Church is the same thing. They also both take bad angles constantly. We give up a number of plays because these safeties cant play in space. Some of these should end up as routine incompletions or even decent interception chances, and they don't.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
face it, we got lucky. the Crowder overthrow + Jackson overthrow + hideous pass to Church = 21 potential points off the board. they also started two drives inside our 40 and only emerged with 6 points.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
face it, we got lucky. the Crowder overthrow + Jackson overthrow + hideous pass to Church = 21 potential points off the board. they also started two drives inside our 40 and only emerged with 6 points.

Pretty sure that was the gist of my OP. I don't think we're very good.

The only saving grace for keeping interest on the season is the rest of the NFC East appears mediocre to bad as well.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
do we all agree that Romo, once healthy, should immediately get his job back even if Dak continues to improve?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I also don't get this infatuation with Lance Dunbar. Yes, he can catch the ball. No, he isn't an elite weapon. You can tell he doesn't have the same quickness or speed pre-injury, so he is a JAG.

before the injury last year he was fantastic as a pass receiver but he offers next to nothing as a runner. his build is too slight.

Reaction score
1) Obviously the story (and a good one) continues to be Dak Prescott. I at least sort of keep expecting him to take some steps back as he's a rookie mid round pick, and he continues to impress. Played exceptionally well yesterday again. Definitely doesn't look like a guy that should have been picked as late as the end of the 4th. Definitely has a bright future and for the first time in years it does appear we have a true, young QB of the future (and of the now)
Can't disagree with you. If Prescott turns out to be a franchise QB, which is far from certain, but clearly possible at this point, ... he could be the single most important thing that happens for the Cowboys in 2016.

2) Pretty disappointed with Zeke's fumbles. ... He ran the ball better than last week and seemed to be more patient so that's good, also had another short yardage TD run. Would love to see them get him more involved in the passing game though whether its on designed screens or just outlet/dump off passes.
Yeah, he looked better this week. I think it is going to take another 4 to 6 games to get a good feel for how good Zeke may become. By bye week, we should know.

8) While I am ranting on active roster decisions, in a league where some teams don't have a single FB, we chose to activate two. Why?
The Cowboys see those two guys primarily as core special teamers who can take some snaps elsewhere sometimes too.

I also don't get this infatuation with Lance Dunbar. Yes, he can catch the ball. No, he isn't an elite weapon. You can tell he doesn't have the same quickness or speed pre-injury, so he is a JAG. One of the reasons you draft a Zeke Elliott 4th overall is because he isn't a 1 dimensional player, he can also excel at receiving and blocking. So why waste ANOTHER active spot on a small JAGGY RB who offers nothing as a runner or pass protection guy vs the blitz? We have two superb RB's in Elliott and Morris, Dunbar is a waste.
I agree. I don't see what Dunbar gives that Zeke and Lucky Whitehead can't give. Dunbar does nothing for me, at all. I believe Dunbar has earned an NFL pension. I'd like for him to start collecting it.

10) It didn't work, but liked that for once Garrett showed some balls and tried something aggressive. Bailey's onside attempt wasn't one of the better attempts I've ever seen though and its too bad, it appeared they had a chance had it went far enough. Good call to go on 4th and 1 or so early in game too, that results in long gain to Swaim and a TD by Elliott two plays later.
I agree. I think it helps the team for Garrett to take some chances.

I still have pretty low expectations for the season. Like I said during the week I don't think the Giants are very good either and we lost at home to them, then followed that up with a close win over another bad team in Washington.
For the current season, maybe the Cowboys sneak into the playoffs and win a game. If everything goes right, maybe they win two.

But this season isn't just about this season. This is the year that sets the team up for the next couple of years. Romo will be retired soon. Dak and Zeke will have their opportunity to try to move the franchise forward.

So although this isn't a championship year, it could be one of those foundation years. And that's pretty exciting.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You are right. There is no difference between Cousins and a steaming pile. Barry 'feet of lead" Church did his best Larry Brown imitation. Now Jerry will probably do an Al Davis imitation and extend him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
do we all agree that Romo, once healthy, should immediately get his job back even if Dak continues to improve?
The entire problem with the premise is the definition of "healthy." There is NO way he is fully healed in 6 weeks, and probably not even if it's 10. Then it's quite evident that even if a opponent merely just gives him a dirty look or says something mean to him, he will crumble with yet another broken bone of some type.

No. If Dak is doing well why fuck up the entire team chemistry putting the China Doll back in? Keep Romo on the bench until he is needed, like if Dak gets hurt. And if that doesn't happen it's actually better for Tony's long term health and mobility, to just ride the bench the rest of the season. And put him in bubble wrap, even at that!

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The entire problem with the premise is the definition of "healthy." There is NO way he is fully healed in 6 weeks, and probably not even if it's 10. Then it's quite evident that even if a opponent merely just gives him a dirty look or says something mean to him, he will crumble with yet another broken bone of some type.

No. If Dak is doing well why fuck up the entire team chemistry putting the China Doll back in? Keep Romo on the bench until he is needed, like if Dak gets hurt. And if that doesn't happen it's actually better for Tony's long term health and mobility, to just ride the bench the rest of the season. And put him in bubble wrap, even at that!

1. Jerry loves him like a son.
2. While Dak has an edge in terms of mobility (naked bootlegs, running downfield for extra yards), Romo, even at 36, can still do everything better. Lienhan's game plans would be much more aggressive for a seasoned vet compared to a rookie QB. At the very least we'd take many more shots deep in the opponent's secondary.

Reaction score
I have to agree with the general sentiment that Cousins threw a horrible pass into what looked like triple coverage. Church got a freebie, but credit to him for actually making the easy pick. I've seen far too many dropped gift picks in the recent past so I'm grateful when one of these guys manages to do what any normal DB would do. It at least looked like real football.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Romo, even at 36, can still do everything better. At the very least we'd take many more shots deep in the opponent's secondary.
You gotta be kidding. Romo can't throw deep and hasn't been able to since his back injury. Who you foolin?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
he suffered that back injury at the very end of 2013. he followed that up with one of his best seasons ever in 2014. i gotta believe he threw deep once or twice that year. and they certainly trust him to throw outside the numbers more than Dak at this point.

Top Bottom