Reaction score
@DFWSportsbeat: So it turns out the Cowboys who led by 11 at halftime, only ran the ball 5 times in second half....hmmm #Cowboys

Reaction score
Doesn’t Linehan call the plays? Oh that’s right only if something goes awry then Garrett gets the blame.

From what i can remember of the second half. I haven’t rewatched the game yet, but the Cowboys running game was getting stuffed and they were not converting on 3rd downs. Plus Atlanta was putting long drives together. You can’t run the ball if you’re not on the field. I know Harrison on NBC kept repeating it but he’s an idiot.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Running plays in the 2nd half:

1-15-DAL 48
(12:35) 21-J.Randle right end to DAL 47 for -1 yards (50-O.Schofield).

1-10-DAL 20
(7:05) 21-J.Randle right tackle to DAL 16 for -4 yards (96-P.Soliai).

1-10-DAL 31
(5:54) 21-J.Randle up the middle to DAL 33 for 2 yards (25-W.Moore).

1-10-DAL 45
(4:39) 21-J.Randle right end to DAL 43 for -2 yards (54-N.Stupar).

1-10-DAL 20
(11:25) (Shotgun) 20-D.McFadden left guard to DAL 21 for 1 yard (52-J.Durant).

Reaction score
I like how we mixed it up and ran on first downs alone. You would've figured that would've thrown Atlanta through a loop.

Reaction score
Falcons explain what changed in second half in win over Cowboys: 'We had to respect the speed and start cheating up'

ARLINGTON -- After the Falcons dispatched the Cowboys on Sunday a crowd of them walked back to their locker room together.

"Let me feel that energy," Falcons safety William Moore told his teammates. "We just did something!"

"It's all about that finish!" another one of yelled.

The finish is what gave the Falcons a 39-28 a win. Or, to be more specific, the second half is what gave the Falcons a 39-28 win.

The Falcons trailed 28-17 at halftime after gaining just 52 rushing yards.

"Clearly they punched us in the mouth," Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. "We were looking to respond."

They did, shutting out the Cowboys in the second half and scoring 25 unanswered points. Atlanta finished with 158 rushing yards, including 141 yards and three touchdowns from Devonta Freeman, who started in place of Tevin Coleman.

The Falcons said they didn't change anything in the second half defensively.

"We were misfitting it," Falcons linebacker Justin Durant said of stopping the Cowboys run game. "We weren't fitting right and we weren't tackling."

Safeties Ricardo Allen and William Moore both said it was more of a matter of realizing what the Cowboys were doing and challenging them to do something else.

The two biggest things the Cowboys were doing well: running the football and dumping it to Lance Dunbar out of the backfield.

Falcons defensive lineman Jonathan Babineaux said stopping the run was just a matter of realizing what run plays the Cowboys were using. Moore said stopping the short passes to Dunbar was a matter of cheating up.

"With Dunbar, his speed, we knew what we were facing," Moore said. "Once he gets out of the backfield, they like to bubble him a lot and most of the time matchup him up against linebackers. We had to respect the speed and start cheating up on him a lot."

That cheating up made the Falcons susceptible to a deep pass, but Cowboys quarterback Brandon Weeden rarely took the opportunity and never connected. His only completion of more than 20 yards came on a catch-and-run by Dunbar.

"They weren't trying to beat us down the field at all," Allen said.

Falcons explain what changed in second half in win over Cowboys: 'We had to respect the speed and start cheating up' | SportsDay

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think instead of running the ball more, the Cowboys needed to hit them over the top. They never did, fuck they never even tried. More of that type of defense is coming.

Cowboys were out coached in the second half. Atlanta adjusted but the Cowboy coaches did do anything else to counter. The Falcons weren’t going to just lay down and die. Any scheme that doesn’t have Julio double teamed is just dumb IMO.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Look, for the most part Linehan has done an exceptional job since taking over the play calling here but he doesn't get a pass in this situation just because we despise Garrett. Linehan called the game so he gets half the blame.

Where I put the other half of the blame is on Garrett for not over ruling the OC and demanding more runs. This is your team, realize what's going on and correct it.

Now the fact that we only ran 5 times is one thing. I get it, we were getting stuffed and the short passing game acted as our substitute. I still think you try forcing the run at them but whatever, that can be debatable.

What's not excusable is the fact that on all 5 of those runs they all came on first down. Add to that we weren't taking any shots downfield.

There is no excuse for being predictable as a play caller in the NFL. The defense knew everything was going to be short, stacked the box, and dared us to take shots downfield. We have average RBs now without Murray, they can't beat that. You have to take shots downfield whether they work or not to keep the Defense honest.

With the game plan we had, we had no shot at winning once the run game failed.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think instead of running the ball more, the Cowboys needed to hit them over the top. They never did, fuck they never even tried. More of that type of defense is coming.

Cowboys were out coached in the second half. Atlanta adjusted but the Cowboy coaches did do anything else to counter. The Falcons weren’t going to just lay down and die. Any scheme that doesn’t have Julio double teamed is just dumb IMO.

No. Say it aint so. Cowboys outcoached...NEVER!

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Look, for the most part Linehan has done an exceptional job since taking over the play calling here but he doesn't get a pass in this situation just because we despise Garrett. Linehan called the game so he gets half the blame.

Where I put the other half of the blame is on Garrett for not over ruling the OC and demanding more runs.
This is your team, realize what's going on and correct it.

This is Garrett we are talking about. Since when has he ever demanded more runs?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Eh.

We scored 28 pts missing our all pro QB, all world WR and one starting OL. Our probowl TE played on two sprained ankles and sprained knee.

28 pts was a fucking miracle. Hell its more pts than we scored in either of the first two games.

Our defense was simply outmanned. No pass rush to speak of whatsoever. Not one Cowboy DL was credited with a knockdown or hit on the QB the entire game. The run defense was gashed.

Teams that give up 39 pts usually don't win people. It had nothing to do with "outcoached"

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
BS dbair. Credit to the game plan to start the game and we had Atlanta on their heals. Then we blew the end of the 1st half with some poor clock management that has become a Garrett hallmark. Atlanta just told you in the previous article posted that they made adjustments. We made none. Not even sure how anyone can argue that or that coaching flaw.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I loved how at timeouts and even during play, Romo was out there in his sling on the sideline right next to Garrett, like he was the coach. Tony knows who is really responsible for any success this team has. :lol

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
BS dbair. Credit to the game plan to start the game and we had Atlanta on their heals. Then we blew the end of the 1st half with some poor clock management that has become a Garrett hallmark. Atlanta just told you in the previous article posted that they made adjustments. We made none. Not even sure how anyone can argue that or that coaching flaw.

Also a Garrett hallmark.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
25 unanswered points. 14 point lead blown, three times.

Coaching and a defense that couldn't sack up and stop run plays when we knew they were coming. Julio Jones is one thing, I can forgive that, but this defense can't stop anyone when it matters.

I hope Greg Hardy and Rolando McClain get in there and murder Nick Hayden. That no-talent JAG is a waste. Barry Church is garbage and that piece of shit has a C on his jersey. Soft, soft pussies on defense.

Top Bottom