Reaction score
Cowlishaw: Media not stirring 'Manziel to Cowboys pot'; why it might make lot of sense for both teams
By TIM COWLISHAW Columnist
Published: 20 November 2014 06:51 PM
Updated: 20 November 2014 07:05 PM

Columnist Tim Cowlishaw answered questions in a chat Thursday. Here are some highlights.

Question: Why does local sports media keep trying to stir the "Manziel to the Cowboys" pot? Do they think that local sports fans are that dumb? Manziel to the Cowboys is horrible for several reasons:

1. Maturity issues.

2. He couldn't beat out Hoyer. Does anyone really think he could beat out Romo?

3. Last team to win a Super Bowl with a Heisman QB was the Raiders with Jim Plunkett at QB -- over 30 years ago.

Your thoughts?

Tim Cowlishaw: No, actually, I think you are missing the point. I don't know how much "pot stirring" is going on but there is an obvious need for a better backup quarterback here, correct? Romo will be 35 next year. The Cowboys can't go on without a replacement forever. Now Manziel is not playing in Cleveland and the Browns just may extend Hoyer in the off-season. In order to do that, they probably need to move their asset. Who has shown the most interest in him? That would be Jerry Jones on any number of occasions. So this isn't about the media creating a story that isn't there. It might be something that makes a great deal of sense for both teams in the off-season.

Question: The barflies (mostly Cowboy fans) are real uneasy about this upcoming game with the GMen in NY. They are having flashbacks of the DC game this year which they seem to think was squandered. Your thoughts?.
Tim Cowlishaw: It could be like that game although in that situation, Colt McCoy was coming home to Texas for a showcase game. What's the similar angle for New York? Every team wants to win, of course, but after losing five in a row, I think that's a team that could go fairly quietly Sunday night if the Cowboys hop on a couple of mistakes.

Question: Is it me, or does something seem out of balance when the cowboys player who had the fatal DWI will serve about the same punishment as Rice and Peterson?
Tim Cowlishaw: Well, the punishment isn't similar at all. Brent spent six months in jail. Rice might have spent a couple hours, I don't remember. Peterson maybe a few minutes? So there's that. Now beyond that, we get into what players can control and what they can't. Peterson wasn't drunk when he did what he did. I don't know whether or not Rice was but it hasn't been a major part of that story. We don't know if/when Rice and Peterson will be back in the NFL but that will have more to do with their talent than their crimes. Rice is near the end. Peterson can still be outstanding for a team that wants him.

Question: two wild cards in the NFC

Tim Cowlishaw: I will go with Philadelphia and Arizona. Yes, I see my Cardinals tumbling and Seattle winning that division but the Seahawks will have to sweep to make that happen.

Question: do you see scenario where Buffalo game is cancelled
Tim Cowlishaw: It sounds like it is going to be postponed. Can they play on Tuesday and then jump right back onto the regular schedule? I don't see why not, the league has teams playing on Thursdays all year. Crazy amount of snow up there.

Question: Chances DAL uses a high pick on a QB next year? Any Mallet-like interesting young backup QB's on other teams we might target instead?
Tim Cowlishaw: Well, we discussed the one in Cleveland earlier. I like Mettenberger but things are so bad in Tennessee he is already playing. Not sure about other backups. Would surprise me if they take a QB in 1st round, but we're six months out from the draft.

Question: What are the Cowboys expecting from Josh Brent this year?
Tim Cowlishaw: Very little. They will see what they get. Maybe he can play 15-20 plays a game and get some pressure on the quarterback. They don't really know.

Question: I expect the Cowboys to beat the Giants on Sunday, but I fear if they lose to Eagles on Thanksgiving, they'll have poor chance of getting a needed split with a win in Philly. And Philly sweep could knock them out of playoffs. Philly game almost seems like a playoff game to me. Thoughts?

Tim Cowlishaw: The Eagles games will be huge. Having to play them on short week is handicap for Dallas defense it would seem. They have seen it before but it has to be tough to get ready to play at that pace. However, Eagles' offensive woes minimize that. They can't run the ball with any consistency. I don't see an Eagles sweep right now.

Question: Do you think given what happened to brent, the Cowboys scale back their Friday nights' extravaganzas.
Tim Cowlishaw: I don't know what the Cowboys' Friday night extravaganzas are. Certainly an incident like that will have a lasting impact on some. It will be ignored by many others. This is not unique to the Cowboys. Young people with money will make stupid decisions. You just hope to minimize the damage.

Question: When oh when, will the NFL place a team in Los Angeles?
Tim Cowlishaw: Haha, I don't believe you are truly lonesome in Los Angeles. Most people I know in LA don't care whether or not they have a team. The NFL enjoys having LA as leverage. But it is weird, I will admit.

Question: Will Jerry get Dez signed or will he be franchised?
Tim Cowlishaw: I suspect signing Dez and franchising Murray will be the ultimate answer although I don't know if they can handle $10 million for Murray.

Question: Is Hitchens for real? It seems unusual for the Cowboys to hit on a downdraft player such as him.
Tim Cowlishaw: Certainly plays like the real deal and has been handed the difficult task of learning all the LB positions in Marinelli defense and getting thrown out there. Has delivered.

Question: As a Baylor grad and a Cowboy fan, what do you think about RG3 traded to Dallas? Sit behind Romo a few seasons then take the reins. If things continue to deteriorate in Wash what's his trade value?
Tim Cowlishaw: RG3's value is about as close to zero as it can be right now. Another team wouldn't touch him. He will have to play his way out of this in Washington if he is to have a career.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
People really need to give up on this Manziel to Dallas shit, it isn't happening. (and good riddance)

Reaction score
think was squandered. Your thoughts?.
Tim Cowlishaw: It could be like that game although in that situation, Colt McCoy was coming home to Texas for a showcase game. What's the similar angle for New York? Every team wants to win, of course, but after losing five in a row, I think that's a team that could go fairly quietly Sunday night if the Cowboys hop on a couple of mistakes.

We didn't lose that game because boy oh boy Colt really wanted to win. For the most part, he didn't even play that well.

We lost because our offense couldn't figure out a blitz.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah that was a huge factor, but nobody really played well that night.

I think it was more of a case of the team had a long winning streak, was a little tired, figured the Redskins were awful and were starting a bum QB and they'd just show up and win, plus the huge game vs Arizona was 6 days away.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He doesn't see the Lions making the playoffs... interesting. The remaining schedule is favorable for the Lions to where they could finish 11-5 with the two losses being the Patriots and Packers.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Umm, no. The blitz ended when Romo left the game. It came back when stupidly, we put the hurt Romo back in when the backup was being effective and had put 10 points on the board including a 80 yard scoring drive that culminated with a 25 yard TD pass to Witten.

And, of course Redball lied, said the x-rays were negative. Well, we now know they could not have been, with two broken bones in Tony's back.

We lost that game because we put Tony back in, and that's really all there is to it.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Honestly, if Hoyer signs a long-term deal and plays this well again next year, I could see Jerra calling up the Browns and seeing if they'd move Manziel. The reason I don't think it happens this off-season is 1) Cleveland will want a 1st rounder for him and 2)I'm sure there are some in the Browns FO who aren't completely sold on Hoyer.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hoyer is totally meh IMO. Even if they weren't sold on Manziel, I can't believe they'd think Hoyer is a long term answer.

Reaction score
A conditional 6th round pick or 7th round pick, that's what Ryan Mallett cost the Texans.

It wouldn't make sense to pay much more than that for Manziel, IMO.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Speaking of Mallett, that's the guy I'd want if he hits free agency and it's a reasonable contract. Then boot Weeden out of here. Mallett is only 26 and like Romo way back when, has few miles on him.

I'd also consider Jake Locker (also 26). I just wish we had a better QB coach to groom them.

Reaction score
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/quarterback/

Not sure how accurate the website is, but at least it gives some idea of which QBs may be available (listed in order of 2014 cap hit):

Matt Moore
Mark Sanchez
Jake Locker
Michael Vick
Matt Hasselbeck
Christian Ponder
Matt Flynn
Blaine Gabbert
Shaun Hill
Jason Campbell
Tarvaris Jackson
Brian Hoyer
Ryan Mallett
Tyrod Taylor
T.J. Yates
Scott Tolzien
Jimmy Clausen
Joe Webb
Dan Orlovsky
Luke McCown
Colt McCoy
Josh Johnson
Ryan Lindley

Reaction score
Hoyer is totally meh IMO. Even if they weren't sold on Manziel, I can't believe they'd think Hoyer is a long term answer.

I agree. Hoyer has a horrible completion percentage. I think there is a real chance that Manziel will play this year after the Browns are eliminated from any playoff contention. They still could use the franchise tag on Hoyer as insurance.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
What about Ponder, he's not the first choice but coming in to back up Romo wouldn't be a terrible idea. He's mobile and has that west coast mentality. Just a thought.

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if the Browns traded Manziel without seeing him play a real game after they traded up to get him...

But if we got him to groom under Romo I'd be all over that. I think he compares pretty favorably to Romo.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'd be shocked if the Browns traded Manziel without seeing him play a real game after they traded up to get him...

But if we got him to groom under Romo I'd be all over that. I think he compares pretty favorably to Romo.
He couldn't beat out.... Hoyer.

I think that pretty much says everything there is to say about him - at least from the Brown's standpoint.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's not so much that he couldn't beat him out than it was he wasn't ready to be a NFL starter.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's not so much that he couldn't beat him out than it was he wasn't ready to be a NFL starter.
And Hoyer was?

I definitely agree Manziel isn't ready to be a starter. But must also confess I don't think he ever will.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, most rookies aren't ready to play QB. Especially ones from offenses with no playbook.
The vast amount of detail in the NFL compared to any college program really gives mind slush to almost any rook. That's true.

But then when you're just a dullard like Manziel is, it's even worse.

Top Bottom