dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Veteran guard Brandon Moore signs 1-year deal with Cowboys

Posted Tuesday, Aug. 06, 2013 0 Comments Print Reprints
More Sharing ServicesShare

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

OXNARD, Calif . The Dallas Cowboys late Tuesday signed veteran guard Brandon Moore to a one-year deal to help shore up an injury-plagued offensive line.

Moore, 33, played 10 seasons with the New York Jets, starting 142 games, including a streak of 137. He wasn’t re-signed after the 2012 season and has remained a free agent, waiting for the right offer.

Moore was a Pro Bowler in 2011, but he is likely best known for his role in the “butt fumble” incident with Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez last season. Sanchez ran in the back of Moore in a game against the New England Patriots. Sanchez fumbled and it was returned for a touchdown.

Jones said the Cowboys had several reasons to add a veteran guard three weeks into training camp, starting with the injuries to returning starters Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau that have limited them in camp.

“That they are limited, they have had injury, they have been out of preseason, all of that,” Jones said. “I think you say that has something to do with it.”

Livings started camp on the non-football injury list, came back for a week, and then had arthroscopic knee surgery sidelining him for the rest of the preseason. Bernadeau returned to practice Friday after missing the first two weeks of camp on the physically unable to perform list with a hamstring injury.

The fact that both were coming off injury-filled seasons last year when they joined the Cowboys with lucrative free agent deals only hastened the team’s decision to try to move in another direction.

The Cowboys have already seemingly moved to replace Livings at left guard with second-year player Ron Leary. But combining him with rookie center Travis Frederick, third-year tackle Tyron Smith and a potential first-year starter in Jermey Parnell, if he beats out veteran Doug Free, means the Cowboys would be very young up front.

Jones said the Cowboys needed an experienced veteran to help out.

“That is sure a part of it,” Jones said. “You have to recognize you have a young group with Smith and potentially Parnell when he does get back. But it has more to do with the player we are bringing in and the opportunity here.”

It also means the Cowboys can forgo any plans to use Frederick at guard because they drafted him to play center and prefer he plays there, Jones said.

The fact the Cowboys are paying Livings and Bernadeau $1.7 million each in 2013 is of no concern to Jones. If both are healthy and ready to go after adding the veteran guard, that’s good, too, Jones said.

“We have what we we have,” Jones said as far as the contracts are concerned. He joked, “I would hate to end up with a surplus of good guards. We wouldn’t know how to play football around here.”

Briefly

• The Cowboys released punter Spencer Benton and defensive end Monte Taylor to make room for two new signings, defensive end Jabari Fletcher and guard Dennis Godfrey.

• Wide receiver Terrance Williams remains sidelined with a concussion and is doubtful for the preseason game at Oakland.

• Safety Matt Johnson is out at least a week with a stress reaction in his ankle. Jerry Jones said the injury occurred in practice last week and was aggravated in the preseason opener against Miami.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/08/06/5061213/cowboys-notes-team-seeks-veteran.html#storylink=cpy

Reaction score
‏@RossTuckerNFL
Don't like B. Moore signing in Dallas, I LOVE it. Totally solidifies most important interior OL spot

@RapSheet
On Moore’s agreement with #Cowboys: As #Jets peeps can attest, gives them a no-nonsense professional in the locker room. Big.

@SportsSturm
Moore Played every game and nearly every snap at RG last year for Jets. Strong and solid and run blocking stud.

‏@JasonLaCanfora
Moore's deal with the Cowboys will be done tonight. He'll fit in well with what offensive coordinator Bill Callahan is implementing there

Reaction score
:towel :towel :towel

Great news to wake up to.....

God I'm about to homer out on this team....

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
High praise from Tucker...who believes RG is most important position on the line.

It is unusual to have a move this front office makes be so universally praised.

I am frightened and confused.

Reaction score
He's retiring anyway, lol

@AdamSchefter: Brandon Moore could not bring himself to get on plane and leave his family. He informed Cowboys of decision this am.

Reaction score
Brandon Moore’s Cowboy career: One night

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 7, 2013, 9:23 AM EDT

Maybe it was all just a bad dream.

Because after sleeping on it, veteran guard Brandon Moore has already cut short his comeback after agreeing to a deal with Dallas last night.

According to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports, Moore has decided to retire instead of joining the Cowboys.

“I’m a man of my word. I hated letting Bill [Callahan] down,” Moore said of the Cowboys offensive coordinator, who worked with Moore with the Jets.

That’s an abrupt move for the 33-year-old guard, who could have probably walked into a starting job for a team with injuries up front.

Reaction score
‏@toddarcher
Thinking of a Parcells quote re Brandon Moore: if you're thinking about retirement, you've retired. Better Cowboys found out now than later

‏@fishsports
Brandon Moore undoes his 1-yr deal w #Cowboys? Now we find out how much, if at all, Dallas values BWaters over Bernadeau

Reaction score
he wanted to retire a Cowboy.

saying he couldn't get on the plane and leave his family.

Reaction score
His agent has to be pissed. Went to bed thinking he made 60k last night. Woke up to find out he didn't.

Top Bottom