dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Solid aint gonna cut it.

Solid play is what we need though. With the OL and running game we have, as long as he plays with consistency and doesn't make game turning turnovers all the time, he's fine.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
3 days, 6 hours before kickoff. I hope they realize the 1st team offense NEEDS THE WORK and will play them at least the full first half of every preseason game.

You're risking injury every day anyway.

Dude, nobody plays their starters the first half of every preseason game.

While I don't disagree with you that the work is needed, it just isn't realistic to think the Cowboys are going to do something that dramatically different from the other 31 teams in preseason.

That said, I do hope we see the starters (or at least the majority of the starters) for at least 1 or 2 series Thursday night.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dude, nobody plays their starters the first half of every preseason game.

While I don't disagree with you that the work is needed, it just isn't realistic to think the Cowboys are going to do something that dramatically different from the other 31 teams in preseason.

That said, I do hope we see the starters (or at least the majority of the starters) for at least 1 or 2 series Thursday night.

Yeah I didn't mean to say they would do that. I'd like to see Thursday, keep the 1st team in the whole first half and mostly in 2 minute drill mode. Same for game 2. There's nothing gained by winning these games that don't count anyway.

We don't need a ton of work on the running game. Save that for the most part, for the dress rehearsal game.

Fourth game, have the starters do at least three rounds before turning it over totally to the scrubs.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
3 days, 6 hours before kickoff. I hope they realize the 1st team offense NEEDS THE WORK and will play them at least the full first half of every preseason game.

You're risking injury every day anyway.

I was thinking the same thing but they won't risk injury. The goal is to keep everyone healthy, not earn a roster spot or starting spot.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Solid play is what we need though. With the OL and running game we have, as long as he plays with consistency and doesn't make game turning turnovers all the time, he's fine.

OK dbair, hypothetical. If you were an opposing DC, wouldnt you love to go up against an offfense that couldnt throw the deep ball, was hit and miss on the intermediate passes, and had one real weapon to defend? Should be an obvious answer to this but take all the time you need.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Cowboys play their first preseason game on Thursday against San Francisco, so now seems like a good time to review the first two weeks of training camp.

The passing game has been average at best. That does not mean it will stay sub-par, but there has not been much productivity unless we are talking about Dak Prescott throwing underneath because his outside receivers are covered.

Cornerback Anthony Brown has been outstanding and continues to be the starter in the slot over Jourdan Lewis. Brown had an interception and a deflection that led to another in the Blue/White scrimmage.

The collection of players at tight end have yet to distinguish themselves. This is potentially a big problem, especially on third down. Blake Jarwin is not making enough contested catches.

Passing game defensive coordinator Kris Richard is making an impact on the secondary. Collectively, the defensive backs are having a terrific camp.

Garrett really likes the competitive aspect of the practices during the first week of practice.Garrett doesn’t mind trash-talking and intensity as long as it’s channeled properly and focused on getting better in practic
No one is talking about kicker Dan Bailey, and that’s a positive. He’s back to being Mr. Automatic at training camp.

Zack Martin is having a blast at camp whether it is catching a punt to cancel out post-practice punts or doing pelvic thrusts after a TD grab. He is also been a dominant player in practice.

Linebacker Jaylon Smith is moving better than he ever has with the Cowboys. He ran 50 yards downfield with Cole Beasley and broke up a pass the other day.

Cornerback Byron Jones has had an excellent camp. He is using his length and athleticism to cause problems for receivers. He is deflecting quite a few passes in practice.

The Cowboys are definitely using more bunch concepts in practice. It will be interesting to see if they use them during the regular season.

Ezekiel Elliott looks like he is in midseason form. He is started slow each of his first two seasons. The Cowboys need to get him off to a faster start this year, although he is not going to play much in the preseason.

JJT: 10 Thoughts on the First 2 Weeks of Training Camp - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
OK dbair, hypothetical. If you were an opposing DC, wouldnt you love to go up against an offfense that couldnt throw the deep ball, was hit and miss on the intermediate passes, and had one real weapon to defend? Should be an obvious answer to this but take all the time you need.

Pretty sure I've seen them connect on some deep throws the past two years. Being able to get deep is aided in large part to WR's and TE's who can actually get down the field and display at least some decent foot speed. The WR and TE that are no longer here were the entire focal points of the passing game, and neither of them scared any team down the field. With them gone, I suspect we'll see more attempts downfield.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
read reports that ryan switzer is doing well in camp for the raiders

I bet he has a breakout season and we all get to see what he could/should have been here in Dallas

It will show how important coaching and scheming/game planning is

Which is our biggest weakness

Just like Austin. If Sean McVay couldn’t figure out how to use him, what makes anyone think that Carrot top will somehow figure out how to use him??

If McVay couldn’t get the most out of Austin then Carrot top stands zero chance

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
dunno if this was already posted but:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
give it time Broaddus, the uber positive train jeri likes to ride 24/7 will beat that out of Richards or send him packing in no time

they'll have no calling a spade a spade under jeri's watch where he still believes they can atta-boy the team to another championship

If jeri had one word to live by, it would be obfuscate

Its probably the cheer he and his most treasured sycophants yell as they break their morning business huddle.

I can just hear jeri: "uh, om, uh, uh, Ok, uh, everyone, uh, obfuscate on 3!"

OBFUSCATE!

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
give it time Broaddus, the uber positive train jeri likes to ride 24/7 will beat that out of Richards or send him packing in no time

they'll have no calling a spade a spade under jeri's watch where he still believes they can atta-boy the team to another championship

If jeri had one word to live by, it would be obfuscate

Its probably the cheer he and his most treasured sycophants yell as they break their morning business huddle.

I can just hear jeri: "uh, om, uh, uh, Ok, uh, everyone, uh, obfuscate on 3!"

OBFUSCATE!

Let's be honest. Can our D go anywhere but up? Kris Richard is going to look like a hero. He's bringing in a different attitude and I have little doubt he'd be a major consideration for the next HC vacancy. I firmly believe he's auditioning for the position.

And BTW, if some cocksucker gave me that line about looking him in the eye, I'd lay him out cold. Fuck off with your feigned manhood.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Let's be honest. Can our D go anywhere but up? Kris Richard is going to look like a hero. He's bringing in a different attitude and I have little doubt he'd be a major consideration for the next HC vacancy. I firmly believe he's auditioning for the position.

And BTW, if some cocksucker gave me that line about looking him in the eye, I'd lay him out cold. Fuck off with your feigned manhood.

I like Kris Richard. I believe he'll help our secondary, which makes the D improved.
I also agree he's gonna get propped up(or not) by the defense's performance this season. I'm also in agreement about the look me in the eye stuff.
Let's not forget Kris is on one of the biggest stages in the NFL.
He's not just auditioning for the Dallas Cowboys.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like Kris Richard. I believe he'll help our secondary, which makes the D improved.
I also agree he's gonna get propped up(or not) by the defense's performance this season. I'm also in agreement about the look me in the eye stuff.
Let's not forget Kris is on one of the biggest stages in the NFL.
He's not just auditioning for the Dallas Cowboys.

He'll definitely help and I think we have some talented young corners. I hate Minnelli's laid back style so if Richard lights a fire on D, I'm all for it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I bet he has a breakout season and we all get to see what he could/should have been here in Dallas

It will show how important coaching and scheming/game planning is

Which is our biggest weakness

Just like Austin. If Sean McVay couldn’t figure out how to use him, what makes anyone think that Carrot top will somehow figure out how to use him??

If McVay couldn’t get the most out of Austin then Carrot top stands zero chance

What if Jihad Ward has a breakout season here?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I want to see what happens during the games, but every day I read stuff about Kris Richard I like him more and more.

I liked the hire when we got him, but he sounds like he is bringing sorely needed intensity to this organization.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want to see what happens during the games, but every day I read stuff about Kris Richard I like him more and more.

I liked the hire when we got him, but he sounds like he is bringing sorely needed intensity to this organization.

ya wait til jerry drops the hammer and tells us all that richard is the new HC and kellen moore is his new OC

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
ya wait til jerry drops the hammer and tells us all that richard is the new HC and kellen moore is his new OC

When the red plague ends Jerry will go for a has been, do anything for buck, washed up offensive coach off the scrap heap. Weak and desperate for a buck is just how Jerry likes em.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What if Jihad Ward has a breakout season here?

Good for him
I’m more interested in another coach proving that Garrett doesn’t know what he’s doing by taking one of his players that he couldn’t figure out what to do with and watching as the the other coach turns him into a strong player for another team

Top Bottom