Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Tony Romo out for rest of season

ESPN.com news services

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will miss the rest of the season due to a back injury, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Cowboys (8-7) host the Philadelphia Eagles (9-6) on Sunday with the winner capturing the NFC East title. Kyle Orton likely will now get the start against the Eagles.

Romo said Sunday he would undergo an MRI on his back Monday, but he didn't believe it will jeopardize his availability for next week's showdown against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Romo said his back, which was sore coming into Sunday's victory over the Washington Redskins, troubled him after a hit in the first half.

"That triggered it a little bit," Romo said. "Whatever the kid did on that one play, it really sent something that didn't feel comfortable.

"But it's in a completely different spot than the back stuff I had last year, so that's a good sign."

Romo had surgery in April to remove a cyst from his back and did not take a snap until the team reached training camp in Oxnard, Calif., in July.

Romo was noticeably limping as he carried out play fakes on running plays. In the fourth quarter, he appeared to be in trouble even more after spinning free from the pocket on a third-down throw to Miles Austin. Romo appeared to kick the back of his leg as he escaped trouble, but he did not miss a snap.

Romo completed 17 of 27 passes for 226 yards, including the game-winning touchdown to DeMarco Murray on fourth-and-goal from the Washington 10 with 1:08 to play.

Romo has dealt with numerous injuries over the years, including a broken rib in 2011. He hurt his ribs again in last year's season-ending loss to the Redskins.

ESPN.com Cowboys reporter Todd Archer contributed to this report.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
How can he finish the game like he's fine and then be ruled out?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think someone floated this out, but by Sunday night, he'll be playing.

Just a hunch.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think someone floated this out, but by Sunday night, he'll be playing.

Just a hunch.

Mosley swears he's texting with people on the Cowboys medical staff and they say he's still at the doc and this is news to them.

Didn't someone call Dez out for the year last year after the Bengals game? So maybe it's not a done deal yet.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Mosley swears he's texting with people on the Cowboys medical staff and they say he's still at the doc and this is news to them.

Didn't someone call Dez out for the year last year after the Bengals game? So maybe it's not a done deal yet.

:lol

That is exactly why I have my doubts about the report.

It could be entirely the case, but I'll wait until I see him placed on IR before I believe it.

Even still, I'm like "meh", at least he wouldn't have to trot out there with the rest of the trash not named Dez, Murray, Witten, or T Williams.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
mike fisher ‏@fishsports 7m
Source not yet confirming @AdamSchefter Romo OUT report, but is telling me 'torsion' DOES tie to cyst/disc/spine surgery. #cowboys

Top Bottom