Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can't stay in high school after 18 so this was taken into consideration and is a non-point.

Texas Law Extends Age Limit for High Schoolers

By Hayley Wielgus

Math is Thomas Tisdale's toughest subject. He struggled at Bullard High School and dropped out in January.

"If I went back to my high school they would be like, 'why are you coming back,'" Tisdale said. "It would be embarrassing."

The 19-year-old instead opted to enroll in GED classes, which some argue are not on-par academically with a high school diploma. Jessie Prestridge Assistant Executive Director of the Literacy Council of Tyler said that's not the case.

"It's an outdated notion that the GED is not the same," Prestridge said. "To pass the GED exam, you really have to have at least an 11th grade level of knowledge."

While not Tisdale's choice, some people want to go the traditional route. So Texas law now allows people six years older than Tisdale to go to high school with 14-year-old freshmen.

The state used to provide funding for high school students up age to age 20, or 21 for special education students. But a law, now in effect, allows people up to age 25 to enroll in high school.

"A 25-year-old student does not fit in a high school setting," a Tyler mother and substitute teacher said. She said rational thinking skills have not fully developed in teenagers.

"A 25-year-old has that ability and could take advantage of a 14-year-old very easily," she said.

But mother of two Lindsey Ford said the new law opens doors for high-school drop outs.

"It would probably be better if they had their own classroom but as long as the teachers are equipped to handle the situation, I think it would be fine," Ford said.

Tisdale needs his own classroom to excel, one that's outside the high school setting.

"I feel more confident in coming here because this is speeding along," Tisdale said. "I'll have my GED soon; that way I can move onto college."

School districts have the option to restrict students over age 20 from enrolling. Representatives from Tyler and Whitehouse Independent School Districts said they have not decided on their policies.

http://www.cbs19.tv/story/9875139/texas-law-extends-age-limit-for-high-schoolers

Minimalist

Practice Squad
Reaction score
No offense taken. It takes a nuclear bomb of an insult to offend me. We just have philosophical differences I guess. I also didn't mean to insult your daughter and hope it was taken that way. I'm sure she is mature and responsible. Again, philosophical differences.

I've never heard of that being allowed. High school is for 14-18 yr olds. It was well designed that way. If you stay back go to night school while working. I have a problem with anyone over 18 being in a traditional high school. These are the exceptions though and should be treated differently.

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Legally, that is the case. There has to be a cutoff age somewhere. I suppose we could create a sliding scale with severity of punishment determined by age gap. Would that make it more fair?

Good question Scipio. Just my opinion, but 14 is just too young in my opinion for any legal adult to have a relationship with.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No offense taken. It takes a nuclear bomb of an insult to offend me. We just have philosophical differences I guess. I also didn't mean to insult your daughter and hope it was taken that way. I'm sure she is mature and responsible. Again, philosophical differences.

No insult taken. I guess people's perspectives change as they get older.

Reaction score
You can be in HS past 18. Maybe It can vary by state but you can be 21 and still be in HS is PA as long as you attend regularly and obey the rules. You can still participate in HS athletics if you are 19.

Reaction score

I've never heard of that being allowed. High school is for 14-18 yr olds. It was well designed that way. If you stay back go to night school while working. I have a problem with anyone over 18 being in a traditional high school. These are the exceptions though and should be treated differently.

Arbitrary. You were doing so well in this discussion then you had to go and say that.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Congratulation Minimalist! You are officially part of the club. One of the requirements is to receive a sanctimonious lecture from 2233boys. He knows everything! It really is amazing and we are lucky to able to participate in an internet forum with him.

Minimalist

Practice Squad
Reaction score
LOL

I think it's being reported that the girl is turning down the plea offer. It'll be interesting to see what happens now.

Reaction score
Congratulation Minimalist! You are officially part of the club. One of the requirements is to receive a sanctimonious lecture from 2233boys. He knows everything! It really is amazing and we are lucky to able to participate in an internet forum with him.
Peace

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think it's stupid for her and her parents to turn this into a gay or straight thing

It's still the law. It sucks that her gf was just one year shy of being in compliance with the sexual nature of the relationship, but still. Take your lumps and be lucky that they're taking it easy on you since you're a 1st timer. Among other things.

Imagine if it were an 18 year old black man in the same situation. I sincerely doubt that he would be allowed to plea out to a much lesser charge.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Romeo Juliet Laws are 3 years in TX, they'd still arrest them here WITH Romeo and Juliet.

Reaction score
That was well past being a fetus.
The point remains.
As an aside a fetus is a developing human from usually two months after conception to birth. Generally though I would have said an aborted baby.

ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
My .02...

These laws are intended to prevent underage persons -- people who aren't old enough to give legal consent -- from being taken advantage of sexually. Even the most permissive among us would probably (hopefully) agree that protecting underage children is a worthy goal. Well, there's a catch: The laws don't work unless you establish age limits.

If you're pro gay marriage, you probably hear a number of eye roll-inducing, 'slippery slope' arguments from those who oppose gay marriage. They might say, "What's next? Marrying animals and legalizing pedophilia?" If you really, really want to put the kibosh on that line of argumentation, I would suggest speaking out against sexual behavior between underage and non-underage persons rather than supporting it.

Just, FYI.

Minimalist

Practice Squad
Reaction score
No one is saying age limits shouldn't be set. This isn't always a black and white issue though. Sound judgement should be used when determining the severity of the situation. The law was actually started to prevent adults from touching children, not 18 yr olds from dating 14 year olds.

In some places, nyc being one, cops and judges pay little attention to those who are smoking a joint or in possession of a small amount of weed. Technically, it's against the law, but they use sound judgement and recognize that it's not the same as someone with a pound of weed preparing to distribute it. Certain situations are worse than others. All it takes is a little brain power to figure out.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No one is saying age limits shouldn't be set. This isn't always a black and white issue though. Sound judgement should be used when determining the severity of the situation. The law was actually started to prevent adults from touching children, not 18 yr olds from dating 14 year olds.

In this instance, the school found out about it and went to the parents who then went to the police. The cops probably had very little latitude but the follow the law.

ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
In this instance, the school found out about it and went to the parents who then went to the police. The cops probably had very little latitude but the follow the law.

Furthermore, there aren't many states that will just look the other way when an 18 year old is diddling a 14 year old. No one here has offered an alternative punishment. The courts already offered a plea deal, which she rejected. What do people think should happen? That the state should look the other way on grounds the parents might be homophobic? Seriously?

Top Bottom