nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Wondering what everybody felt about this.
I'm on the side that this offense revolves around Zeke as he never has to come off the field and is never injured.
I would be inclined to pay him before Dak because we have seen how Dak responds when Zeke is not there and basically feel that Dak just needs too much around him to succeed.
Obviously his off the field issues will come into the discussion.
I think he's scheduled to make a touch over $5M this year and $9M next year.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Todd Gurley situation really threw a wrench in Zeke’s plan for a major payday

It reminded the entire league why you don’t overpay for a running back. No matter how good they may be.

Don’t get me wrong. Zeke may still get a huge payday. But hopefully the contract will be a little less than it might have been before Gurley got his huge payday and then missed the post season and Super Bowl (when they needed him most) with a mysterious injury that the Rams still won’t even admit actually exists

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
zeke is the most important and best skill player on the team. he's top 5 at his position in the league. his numbers are on pace with hall-of-famers. you have to sign him to a 2nd contract.

i'm not sure dallas can get a lot in a trade. dallas might get something from a team that needs him, but the team that needs him the most is the cowboys. they spent a 4th overall, so the assets they get in a trade will never be worth more than what theyve invested in the player.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don’t know if you guys heard but there is something in his contract that says he has to report to camp in order to get credit for his 4th full season. So let’s say he does hold out and reports after the season has started. He will still get partial credit for his 4th season however instead of becoming an UFA after his 5th year he would only be a Restricted FA.

He honestly does not have a lot of leverage unless he’s willing to sabotage the entire season for all his teammates. The only leverage he really has right now is that the Cowboys do not have a capable backup for him on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don’t know if you guys heard but there is something in his contract that says he has to report to camp in order to get credit for his 4th full season. So let’s say he does hold out and reports after the season has started. He will still get partial credit for his 4th season however instead of becoming an UFA after his 5th year he would only be a Restricted FA.

He honestly does not have a lot of leverage unless he’s willing to sabotage the entire season for all his teammates. The only leverage he really has right now is that the Cowboys do not have a capable backup for him on the team.

When all this came up I thought that there was a provision in his contract to that effect.
I agree that the Gurley contract is a big albatross as far paying RBs early and now we know(?) that Gurley's knees aren't likely to hold up for too much longer. Plus what does it say that CJ Anderson of all people came in and did what he did...completely devalued the position!!
I do also agree that Zeke's value is at its highest with the Cowboys and specifically Dak though I could see a team trading quite a bit to get him unless of course they knew the Cowboys were actively shopping him and then we would definitely get low balled.
I love watching Zeke play and love the fact that he is an old school/new school back meaning he can carry it 20-25 times, catch some balls, block and is a 3 down back. I would hate to see him leave but a hold out sucks too so fingers crossed this gets resolved without too much distraction.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
When all this came up I thought that there was a provision in his contract to that effect.
I agree that the Gurley contract is a big albatross as far paying RBs early and now we know(?) that Gurley's knees aren't likely to hold up for too much longer. Plus what does it say that CJ Anderson of all people came in and did what he did...completely devalued the position!!
I do also agree that Zeke's value is at its highest with the Cowboys and specifically Dak though I could see a team trading quite a bit to get him unless of course they knew the Cowboys were actively shopping him and then we would definitely get low balled.
I love watching Zeke play and love the fact that he is an old school/new school back meaning he can carry it 20-25 times, catch some balls, block and is a 3 down back. I would hate to see him leave but a hold out sucks too so fingers crossed this gets resolved without too much distraction.

I really do think the Cowboys plan for him is to let him play out year 4 and year 5 and then franchise him in year 6 then move on to a new RB. That gives them a 3 year window to try and win a SB with Zeke. They will likely run his ass into the ground like a rented mule. So over the next year or two they will need to find a replacement for him.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
One of the Cowboys podcasts stated he has about two more weeks before he has to report to camp. Otherwise he will lose a year or eligibility.

So we don’t have much longer to wait for this whole thing to play itself out

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
DALLAS COWBOYS SUEDACCUSED OF POLICE COVER-UP... In Zeke Elliott Crash

The Dallas Cowboys conspired with police to cover up info from a 2017 car crash that would have sidelined Ezekiel Elliott from a crucial NFL playoff game ... so says a new lawsuit obtained by TMZ Sports.

The suit stems from a January 11, 2017 car crash -- 4 days before the Cowboys played the Packers in an NFC Divisional Round game -- when Zeke slammed a GMC Yukon into a BMW 750 driven by Ronnie Hill on his way to the Cowboys practice facility.

143c9a10e6a048f4aac33266d00d85ab_md.jpg

Hill claims Zeke was obviously at fault because the running back was running late to practice and had "barreled through a red light" -- causing more than $33,000 in damage to Hill's vehicle. Hill claims he suffered "serious and permanent" injuries in the wreck.

Hill says the impact of the collision was so intense, the two vehicles were "wedged together" and they needed a tow truck to pull them apart.
7fd95e8ce1da44a89220fcb22ad00a3b_md.jpg

At the time, the Frisco Police Dept. put out a statement describing the incident as a "minor vehicle crash" ... but Hill says that's a crock of BS.

In fact, Hill claims the Dallas Cowboys "conspired with the Frisco Police Dept. to cover up the severity of the accident to assure that Elliott's health would not be placed in question before their playoff game."

According to Hill's suit, "If anyone had actually reported the impact of the accident and had Elliott been examined he would have most likely been placed in concussion protocol and out for the Dallas Cowboys upcoming playoff game."
In his suit, filed by attorney Larry Friedman, Hill claims Dallas Cowboys running backs coach Gary Brown had raced to the scene of the accident and told Hill, "We will take care of everything."

Hill claims the Cowboys did NOT take care of anything -- and he's suing both Zeke and the Cowboys for $20 MILLION in damages.

By the way, the Cowboys ended up LOSING the playoff game 34 to 31 ... but Zeke played great, rushing for 125 yards on 22 carries.

We reached out to the Frisco PD and the Dallas Cowboys for comment -- so far, no word from either side. A rep for Elliott had no comment.

We spoke to Hill's attorney, Larry Friedman, who tells us, "Ezekiel Elliott believes he's above the law. He doesn't follow any rules. As a citizen and a member of our community he has a duty to obey the law and act responsibly, especially while driving a motor vehicle." Friedman adds, "There are no exemptions for running backs or members of the Dallas Cowboys."

"He has admitted liability in this case but refuses to take responsibility as he has refused to take responsibility on so many other occasions when he has disobeyed the law."

"My client is suing for compensation for his injuries and wants his day in court."

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well, I was on the fence until this:

O.J. SIMPSONWarns Jerry Jones ...YOU BETTER PAY ZEKE!!!

6e0afd77fbcd45c290c3a303530bd837_md.jpg

PAY THESE GUYS
O.J. Simpson is issuing a stern warning to Jerry Jones ... saying straight-up the Cowboys owner better open the checkbook for Ezekiel Elliott -- OR ELSE!!!!!
... or else it won't result in a Super Bowl. Definitely not anything more serious than that.
Of course, Zeke is in contract dispute with Jerry and the 'Boys, wanting a significant raise despite only being in Year 4 of his 5-year rookie contract.
Things between the two sides haven't exactly gone swimmingly ... Zeke is actually in Mexico right now instead of training with his teammates in Oxnard, California.
O.J. says that better change soon, or Jerry won't be winning a Super Bowl this year ... saying, "Without him, you may not even make the playoffs!"
Simpson also says the same thing goes for the Chargers' brass out in L.A. ... telling Dean Spanos he better pay Melvin Gordon too!!
O.J. says both Gordon and Elliott should holdout for as long as possible ... 'cause he says the only thing they have look forward to after their playing days is knee pain.
For real, O.J. even shows off his nasty knee surgery scar -- and it's gross!!
Your move, Jerry.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
DALLAS COWBOYS SUEDACCUSED OF POLICE COVER-UP... In Zeke Elliott Crash

The Dallas Cowboys conspired with police to cover up info from a 2017 car crash that would have sidelined Ezekiel Elliott from a crucial NFL playoff game ... so says a new lawsuit obtained by TMZ Sports.

The suit stems from a January 11, 2017 car crash -- 4 days before the Cowboys played the Packers in an NFC Divisional Round game -- when Zeke slammed a GMC Yukon into a BMW 750 driven by Ronnie Hill on his way to the Cowboys practice facility.

143c9a10e6a048f4aac33266d00d85ab_md.jpg

Hill claims Zeke was obviously at fault because the running back was running late to practice and had "barreled through a red light" -- causing more than $33,000 in damage to Hill's vehicle. Hill claims he suffered "serious and permanent" injuries in the wreck.

Hill says the impact of the collision was so intense, the two vehicles were "wedged together" and they needed a tow truck to pull them apart.
7fd95e8ce1da44a89220fcb22ad00a3b_md.jpg

At the time, the Frisco Police Dept. put out a statement describing the incident as a "minor vehicle crash" ... but Hill says that's a crock of BS.

In fact, Hill claims the Dallas Cowboys "conspired with the Frisco Police Dept. to cover up the severity of the accident to assure that Elliott's health would not be placed in question before their playoff game."

According to Hill's suit, "If anyone had actually reported the impact of the accident and had Elliott been examined he would have most likely been placed in concussion protocol and out for the Dallas Cowboys upcoming playoff game."
In his suit, filed by attorney Larry Friedman, Hill claims Dallas Cowboys running backs coach Gary Brown had raced to the scene of the accident and told Hill, "We will take care of everything."

Hill claims the Cowboys did NOT take care of anything -- and he's suing both Zeke and the Cowboys for $20 MILLION in damages.

By the way, the Cowboys ended up LOSING the playoff game 34 to 31 ... but Zeke played great, rushing for 125 yards on 22 carries.

We reached out to the Frisco PD and the Dallas Cowboys for comment -- so far, no word from either side. A rep for Elliott had no comment.

We spoke to Hill's attorney, Larry Friedman, who tells us, "Ezekiel Elliott believes he's above the law. He doesn't follow any rules. As a citizen and a member of our community he has a duty to obey the law and act responsibly, especially while driving a motor vehicle." Friedman adds, "There are no exemptions for running backs or members of the Dallas Cowboys."

"He has admitted liability in this case but refuses to take responsibility as he has refused to take responsibility on so many other occasions when he has disobeyed the law."

"My client is suing for compensation for his injuries and wants his day in court."
Maybe this is why Zeke wants anew contract lol!!!

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stay away Zeke. This is what happens when a RB is the best player on the field, as opposed to your QB. I'd rather not be blackmailed by Zeke because Dak sucks. Let them both walk.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Ok so just I am up to speed on the options for Mr. Elliott depending on what he decides to do:
1) if he holds out during the season, he needs to report by Nov.29th (or insert correct date) to get credit for the season?...this would also mean that he only gets paid for those 6 or 7 weeks which is roughly $1.6M
2) if he opts not to report at all then he gets paid nothing and essentially is back to square one and the Cowboys have the option of fining him and costing him even more money?

I don't see the leverage Zeke has here.
If he holds out, he loses money and though he accrues years towards FA we can tag him and own his right for another 2 years.
Don't get me wrong I think we are a different team without him and I would love nothing more to see him on the field week 1 but with Stephen Jones taking a more in charge role of the salary cap I don't see them caving in to give him what he wants.
Plus we can easily start the season 3-0 without him though the schedule gets rough after that.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Cowboys have offered Zeke a contract that would make him the second highest paid RB behind Gurley. The reports are stating that he is likely to sign this weekend.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Zeke has apparently declined the Cowboys recent offer to make him the 2nd highest paid RB

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The guys on the Fan here in Dallas were talking about Zeke possibility holding out beyond the date he has to report to get credit for the season.

I haven’t seen this printed anywhere so take it with a grain of salt, and don’t kill the messenger.

Jerry’s recent comments about not being concerned about Zeke missing some regular season games because they will have him for the playoffs apparently riled Zeke up pretty good and he has been telling people that he will never play for the Cowboys again without a new contract. Even if that means sitting out the whole season (which is pretty stupid on his part). Basically the Cowboys will have to end his career (which they can easily do since they have control over his rights for the next 3 years at least).

Personally if this is true, why not trade him? There are two teams I see in the AFC that would give up a 1st for Zeke. Houston and Buffalo. I would take Buffalo’s 1st and Shady McCoy (McCoy would just be a stop gap RB). Or Houston’s 1st and Duke Johnson?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
You're not gonna get full value for him when he's one more serious infraction away from a 16-game suspension. Plus, he's got a lot of tread on his tires and many teams refuse to pay RBs out of principle. But if Buffalo offered me that package, I'd jump on it.

Top Bottom