NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
The Dallas Morning News Staff writer
Published: 09 July 2012 09:53 PM

RelatedFor decades, winning the Super Bowl as a wild card team was next to impossible, but as the salary cap era has seen parity spread throughout the NFL, wild cards have taken over the league, taking down four of the last seven Super Bowl titles.

If the Cowboys have title aspirations for 2012, they just might have to follow that same route. But Jessie Heller of the International Business Times doesn't seem to think that'll be much of a problem for Jason Garrett's bunch.

"Last year, [Tony] Romo boasted the NFL's fourth best quarterback rating, even with a young offensive line," Heller wrote. "If the offensive line gels this year, 32-year-old Romo will take advantage of having an injury-free Bryant in tip-top shape as Bryant admitted that his conditioning was sub-par last season."

To Heller, to key for the Cowboys' success seems to be health -- if the breaks and bruises that sidelined Bryant, Miles Austin and DeMarco Murray for periods last year can be avoided, the Cowboys should have plenty of talent to battle any team in the league.

But even still, Heller doesn't expect the Cowboys to take the NFL East crown, saving that distinction for the Philadelphia Eagles. Yet despite viewing the Cowboys as second-best in their own division, Heller still thinks they could have a title run in them.

"If [rookie cornerback Morris] Claiborne makes an immediate impact as anticipated, Dallas will be more formidable on both offense and defense during the 2012 season," Heller wrote. "The Cowboys will enter the playoffs as a wild card, but will make a run for the Lombardi trophy."

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
STOPPED READING WHERE IT SAID EAGLES WOULD WIN DIVISION!!!

/dbairglorydaysrback

Eagles winning the division doesn't mean shit.

The argument is that they aren't the best team in THE NFC! Not the NFC East.

Get the 1 seed or win the NFC championship and then you can brag. Until then. Shut it!

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Philadelphia Eagles

Key FA additions: ILB DeMeco Ryans, T Demetress Bell, S OJ Atogwe

Key FA losses: CB Asante Samuel, DT Trevor Laws, DE Juqua Parker, C Jamaal Jackson, T Winston Justice, WR Steve Smith, QB Vince Young, RB Ronnie Brown

Analysis: A year ago, everyone was raving about all the fantastic free-agent moves Philadelphia had made. But to me, this is the year they'll pay off, and the Eagles very well could end up as my pick to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

The Eagles did lose Jason Peters, who might have been the best offensive lineman in the NFL in 2011, to an Achilles injury, but I think the signing of Bell still leaves Philadelphia with one of the top five to 10 offensive lines in the league. And the rest of this high-powered offense remains pretty much intact. Although wide receiver and guard were not pressing needs, the Eagles landed two very nice value picks late in the draft in McNutt and Washington. Yes, Michael Vick needs to stay healthy, but this will be his first true offseason since 2006 as the starting quarterback. I also expect Jeremy Maclin to explode in 2012.

But it's the Eagles' defense that has me so excited. It took far too long in 2011, but the Eagles look to have finally figured out the best way to use their defensive personnel, particularly their cover men. With the drafting of Fletcher Cox and Vinny Curry, I think that Philadelphia has the best defensive line in the NFL (edging out the Giants). Just think of the foursome the Eagles will field on throwing downs to rush the passer: Jason Babin and Trent Cole on the outside with Cox and Cullen Jenkins attacking up the middle. Plus, the line depth is just superb, so they should always be fresh.

Linebacker was a massive problem last season. Although Ryans might no longer be a Pro Bowl-caliber 'backer, he does fit the Eagles' scheme much better than the 3-4 he comes from in Houston. In addition to Ryans, picking Kendricks (at No. 46) should yield immediate dividends on the outside with the rookie's great blend of explosion and speed.

The Eagles ignored the second level of their defense for years, but it looks as though they have improved it this offseason. Although Philadelphia shipped out Samuel, who didn't fit its predominant press man coverage philosophy, the Eagles did find a true slot cornerback -- a position they didn't have a year ago -- in fourth-rounder Boykin. Atogwe also could be a valuable reinforcement to the Eagles' volatile group of safeties.

This defense will be among the league's best in 2012. I expect Philadelphia to make good on the hype it received one year ago.

Grade: A

Reaction score
Eagles winning the division doesn't mean shit.

The argument is that they aren't the best team in THE NFC! Not the NFC East.

Get the 1 seed or win the NFC championship and then you can brag. Until then. Shut it!

Someone didn't notice where I said I didn't think they'd win the division, just that they were my pre-training camp best team in the NFC.

Someone is a little slow.

Someone is glorydaysrback.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Someone didn't notice where I said I didn't think they'd win the division, just that they were my pre-training camp best team in the NFC.

Someone is a little slow.

Someone is glorydaysrback.

That's just stupid!

Cowboys are the best team in the NFL! I dot think they make The playoffs though...

I'm cool! I have stupid predictions and rankings

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you just put a ranking system together that reflects what you think will happen?

Wtf is going to change between now and the regular season?

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
When you apply yourself, you make cr122 (RIP) look like a fucking Mensa member.

Still doesn't change the fact that your NFC rankings are not only retarded but inaccurate too. Let me know when it smacks you in the face..it will soon.

Carolina Panthers at 6!!! LMFAO...

Those bums won't even win 7 games

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I read this and was happy, then I read football outsiders said we will suck...

Sad again.

I will just wait for Jerry to tell me how to feel the day before camp opens.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Still doesn't change the fact that your NFC rankings are not only retarded but inaccurate too. Let me know when it smacks you in the face..it will soon.

Carolina Panthers at 6!!! LMFAO...

Those bums won't even win 7 games

Doesn't mean much but

joe (pittsburgh)

over/under for carolina 8 wins?

Matt Williamson
(12:07 PM)

OVER...picking the Panthers to win the NFC South-You heard it here first!

Reaction score
Doesn't mean much but

joe (pittsburgh)

over/under for carolina 8 wins?

Matt Williamson
(12:07 PM)

OVER...picking the Panthers to win the NFC South-You heard it here first!

Screw you Williamson. I said it in my Pre-TC power rankings yesterday.

Top Bottom