C

Cr122

Posted Tuesday, Jul. 27, 2010

By Charean Williams

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

SAN ANTONIO -- Anthony Spencer is 10 pounds lighter and has an Abe Lincoln-like beard. But the Dallas Cowboys linebacker is easy to recognize. He still wears No. 93, and he's still getting after the quarterback.

"He came on really strong at the end of the season and was getting a lot of pressure," Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. "Now, he's starting right where he left off. He's getting a lot of pressure in practice. He's become an even smarter player at his position, and that's what we need."

This time a year ago, Cowboy Nation was more than a little worried about Spencer. The Cowboys had cut Greg Ellis, who was coming off an eight-sack season in 2008, and Spencer had had only 4.5 sacks in his first two seasons.

It wasn't until the mid-point of last season, but Spencer finally made Cowboys fans forget Ellis.

Now, it's "Greg who?"

Spencer was arguably the team's best defensive player in the last eight games of last season, including the postseason. He had 58 tackles, eight sacks, 22 quarterback pressures and two forced fumbles in those eight games and was every bit as good as Ware, who is the weakside outside linebacker.

"He's become a dominant player at his position," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said of Spencer. "That's awfully important for us.... He came on in the middle of last year and played as well as anybody I've been around. I've got a guy we drafted [with the New Orleans Saints] going into the Hall of Fame this year named Rickey Jackson. I don't see a lot of difference in how [Spencer] plays that position."

Spencer, who is the Cowboys' strongside outside linebacker, is showing up on some preseason All-Pro teams. He received honorable mention All-Pro honors last season, with Ware garnering first-team honors.

Spencer, 26, hasn't set a sack goal yet, but he said he will by the time the season starts. It shouldn't be hard for him to top the 10.5 sacks he has for his career.

"I feel great," Spencer said. "I haven't felt like this for a long, long time. I feel big things."

Spencer's play last season has everyone believing in him. More importantly, it has Spencer believing in himself.

"Just confidence-wise, just knowing I can do it," Spencer said. "Putting myself in positions to make plays and then making them, it's a big confidence-booster."

Spencer was the self-proclaimed "King of the Almost Sack" last season. He had Aaron Rodgers wrapped up only to see the Green Bay Packers quarterback flip the ball underhanded; he sacked Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell for a 5-yard loss only to have the play reversed on a replay review that the NFL later said shouldn't have occurred; and he had a sack of Saints quarterback Drew Brees negated by a penalty on teammate Orlando Scandrick.

This season, Spencer hopes to be a little more lucky, because the Cowboys believe he's already good. And it's best to be lucky and good.

"He was already very difficult to block and deal with as a rusher or a run defender," Cowboys linebackers coach Reggie Herring said. "He's building consistency, and he's really established himself as a player. He's just applying himself more day to day, and we're very pleased right now with his attitude and his work ethic. It looks like he's got a chance right now, the way he's going, to pick up from where he left off last year by the end."

Top Bottom