bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1485393042-NS_moorecol_0116spo_JL_39.jpg

Kevin Sherrington, sports columnist for SportsDayDFW.com and The Dallas Morning News, answered your questions about the Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks and local college sports in a live chat Wednesday. Here are some highlights.

Some appear bothered by Zeke and Dak partying it up in Vegas over the weekend. What do you think?

Kevin Sherrington: Young men party. As long as it doesn't become an obsession, what's the harm? Both guys seem to have a pretty good work ethic, and neither has exhibited any symptoms to indicate a social problem. At least as far as we know.

How can Dak avoid becoming the next RGIII or Colin Kaepernick?

Kevin Sherrington: First of all, he's a lot healthier than RG3 was. He got hurt so often and so early in his career, it's hard to say how much that affected his development. As for Kaepernick, he really hasn't advanced his game much. In all sports, opponents make adjustments to you, and you have to counter that. Neither RG3 nor Kaepernick has done that. In a small sampling, we've seen evidence that Dak makes adjustments. And as noted earlier, he has a great aptitude for football, and he's a tireless worker. Great inspiration to his teammates, as well. Don't think RG3 had that going for him in the NFL, anyway.

Some are taking Jerry's "just cool it"-on-Romo-talk comments as, "They're bringing him back!" How are you deciphering his sudden unwillingness to talk Romo?

Kevin Sherrington: Oh, no, I wouldn't say that at all. Even if Jerry wanted to do that, I think what we've seen lately is that cooler heads would prevail. If they cut Romo after June 1, they can spread his cap hit over two seasons. Saves them $9 million or so this coming season. Could they not use that money on their own FAs or from the outside? You bet they could.

It's early, but sure seems like if the Cowboys are gonna spend money on free agents, they'll be their own. Beef up defense through the draft. Is that the way you would go about this?

Kevin Sherrington: Salary caps are a hard thing for me to figure. I'd like to see them consider some outside FAs. I've already mentioned DeSean Jackson. If he'd play for $6 million on a one-year deal with an option, I think that'd be a no-brainer. He was very effective in Washington and would really stretch defenses. He'd give Dak something he doesn't have now. I don't think they can keep Leary, which is OK, because they have Collins. As noted earlier, I think they keep Church and Carr for sure. I'd like to see a bigger role for Jeff Heath. Think the Cowboys should also consider whether Byron Jones is a better fit for CB than safety. Didn't do much this year as a safety, and they're easier to find than CBs. As for building through the draft, sure, that's always the way to go. Until Will McClay took over, they just hadn't been any good at it since Jimmy left. If he could put together another draft like the last one, they could be set for awhile.

What do you think the chances are that Cowboys can draft an impact pass rusher in first or second round?

Kevin Sherrington: They tell us that this draft is pretty deep in edge rushers and CBs, the two things the Cowboys need the most. Sure, you can get an effective guy if you scout well. They're not going to get Myles Garrett, considered the next Von Miller, and by no less than Von Miller. But the Browns got Emmanuel Ogbah in the second round, and he had 5.5 sacks. In fact, the Cowboys wanted to take Ogbah but didn't get the chance.

If you're Dak Prescott, what area of your game are you going to focus on improving for 2017?

Kevin Sherrington: Just improving all around, incorporating more of the offense into your weekly package. He's very bright and works very hard. I've said for some time that his head is his best asset, and he's pretty good physically. Nice combination.

Which one of the Cowboys UFAs should the team focus on re-signing first?

Kevin Sherrington: Barry Church is No. 1. Probably need to bring back Brandon Carr, too. Can't lose both CBs, and Carr has been far more consistent than Claiborne. Stephen Jones says they'd like to bring back all four DBs, which includes Claiborne and Wilcox. Don't think that happens, but I suppose it's a possibility. Claiborne doesn't have much leverage. Rumors that Carr might retire. I've seen speculation that they bring back Leary and move Collins to RT to replace Free. Don't think that happens. Leary will get a big contract from someone, and the Cowboys can't pay everybody in that OL. Besides, I think Collins is really a guard, not a tackle. He likes getting out in space, being aggressive. Guard is an offensive position from a mental standpoint; you're on the attack. Tackle is a defensive position, essentially. Doesn't fit Collins' skill set as well as guard.

Cowboys say they're not concerned, but should they be with DeMarcus Lawrence scheduled for a second back surgery?

Kevin Sherrington: Sure, they should. But what else are they going to say. They know a little about back surgeries, right? Just another reason to add a couple of edge rushers in this draft and hope that Charles Tapper returns healthy from his own back problems.

Top Bottom