Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Cowboys offered $30, Dak countered at $40, and they will settle in the $35 range. Simple negotiating tactics.

It is what it is

We WILL pay Dak. And like I said a long time ago, when we do pay Dak that Jeruh will make him the highest paid player in the NFL

You know Jeruh can’t wait to pay the man.

and with stats like these how can you expect Jeruh to NOT pay Dak????

Since Prescott’s rookie season in 2016, only Tom Brady (31-7 record) and Ben Roethlisberger (29-9) have more wins as a starting quarterback than Prescott, who is 27-15. Drew Brees is also 27-15.

TOP ARTICLES

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article221926515.html#storylink=cpy

He was rookie MVP
He has recorded the most game-winning drives (14) in the first three years of a career since the stat began in 1999 and more than anyone over the past three seasons!!!

Yes Dak is a winner! he may not be elite, but he has as many wins (or more) as the elite QB’s since he’s been in the league.

Besides, if we don’t pay Dak we gotta trot out Cooper Rush or Mike White. And we all know that shit ain’t gonna happen.

Regardless of your thoughts on Dak being deserving of a huge contract like this, we ALL know that he’s going to get it anyway.

Don’t mistake this post as me agreeing that Dak should be paid big bucks. He shouldn’t.

But because of his stats and because of what he has accomplished so far in his career he will get paid at the top of the scale for QB’s. That’s just a fact whether we like it or not.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
lemme guess, this is where he condescendingly tells us we don't know what the fuck we're talking about, jeri is awesome and we're all stupid

Actually, he agrees, Dak is not a top 5 QB, BUT being a top 5 QB does not mean that that means jack shit about paying the position what it is paid. Someone had set Dak to the 16th or 17th best QB in the league, but that doesn't mean you get to pay him that way, he'd walk - because plenty of teams without a QB worth anything would pay him the top 5 money and never even blink. Ranking =/ Pay.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Don’t mistake this post as me agreeing that Dak should be paid big bucks. He shouldn’t.

But because of his stats and because of what he has accomplished so far in his career he will get paid at the top of the scale for QB’s. That’s just a fact whether we like it or not.

Lets be careful with stats. Statistics can be deceiving. We're only having this conversation because of 2016. Statistics are just raw numbers, you get nothing else. Barring 2016, we're not left with much. I think it has more to do with him being our best chance to win now than anything else. But I'd be very careful before paying a QB that seemingly needs an elite offense around him to succeed.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score

I'm sold now, 40 mill is a bargain!

That asshat can take his request, shove it up his ass and play out the remaining year of his deal and we can tag his ass next year at the bargain price of $25M.
Love what Dak does but not if we end bringing knives to gun fights every week because this tardwagon feels he "deserves" $40M/yr.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Actually, he agrees, Dak is not a top 5 QB, BUT being a top 5 QB does not mean that that means jack shit about paying the position what it is paid. Someone had set Dak to the 16th or 17th best QB in the league, but that doesn't mean you get to pay him that way, he'd walk - because plenty of teams without a QB worth anything would pay him the top 5 money and never even blink. Ranking =/ Pay.
Love to see what other teams would pay this fuckhead when they know what they have to put around him to succeed.
Let him try FA and take a dose of that reality.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Love to see what other teams would pay this fuckhead when they know what they have to put around him to succeed.

You mean, what would they pay a QB that has more wins than anyone other than Brady and Rothlesburg since coming into the league? He may suck, but he wins. I personally believe that is te players around him elevating him to a position that has been undeserved since day 1.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You mean, what would they pay a QB that has more wins than anyone other than Brady and Rothlesburg since coming into the league? He may suck, but he wins. I personally believe that is te players around him elevating him to a position that has been undeserved since day 1.
As you have a right to believe but I will humbly disagree and I'd be happy to pay him what Brady or Roethlisberger is getting paid!!
Don't think he sucks and certainly think he is a franchise QB but not to the point where he cripples the cap, allows no flexibility to sign other players and then can't put this team on his shoulders and win.
Remember the experiment about not needing a number #1 WR...how did that workout...3-5 and circling the drain.
I let this fuckhead play out the year and then tag his ass next year if we have to and pay Zeke and Amari now.
I am a Cowboy fan first and foremost and giving Dak even $30M for an average talented QB just screams us having to compromise at other positions.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The QB market is what it is. Dak is just the next one up. Then the next QB that is due a new contract will surpass Dak, regardless of if he deserves it or not

Look at Kirk Cousins, Matt Stafford, Jimmy Garoppolo and other similar recent past contracts. They didn’t deserve what they got, but they got it anyway because that was what the market was at at the time they were up for a new contract. Look at what Jimmy G got when he signed and he hadn’t done SHIT in the NFL when he got his record setting contract.

The market determines what the player gets a hell of a lot more than the players accomplishments

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The QB market is what it is. Dak is just the next one up. Then the next QB that is due a new contract will surpass Dak, regardless of if he deserves it or not

Look at Kirk Cousins, Matt Stafford, Jimmy Garoppolo and other similar recent past contracts. They didn’t deserve what they got, but they got it anyway because that was what the market was at at the time they were up for a new contract. Look at what Jimmy G got when he signed and he hadn’t done SHIT in the NFL when he got his record setting contract.

The market determines what the player gets a hell of a lot more than the players accomplishments
I get it and find your points well taken but I would let him play it out and then tag him next year.
My main contention is not does he deserve it because like you said he's just the next one up it's just that investing that much of your cap space to a guy who really is overall pretty average scares me. If he could put this team on his back and will them to wins I'm in for the $40M but I worry this will cripple us long term.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I get it and find your points well taken but I would let him play it out and then tag him next year.
My main contention is not does he deserve it because like you said he's just the next one up it's just that investing that much of your cap space to a guy who really is overall pretty average scares me. If he could put this team on his back and will them to wins I'm in for the $40M but I worry this will cripple us long term.

If we franchise him and wait to pay him then we will certainly end up paying him in the $40 mil range.

And as far as Dak is concerned, he has been anything but average. I’m not saying he’s the next Troy Aikman. But people around here talk about him like he’s a total bust.

What do you want most from your QB above all else?

To win games! Plain and simple. And only one QB has won more games than Dak has since Dak came into the league. That just happens to be the GOAT Tom Brady.
IMG_7129.JPG

For us to replace Dak with anyone better we would have to end up with a top 5 pick in the next draft. That simply isn’t going to happen. And by the looks of things it probably won’t happen anytime soon. Otherwise we would have to give up way too much draft capital to move up high enough to draft an acceptable replacement.

We ARE going to end up married to Dak. The sooner we do it the less it’s going to cost us.

Dak’s biggest handicap is a coach who refuses to use him to his strengths as opposed to trying to turn him into something he’s not

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

To win games!

This is just a tired argument. Dak failed to throw for more than 200 yards in 16 of his last 32 games. The defense has bailed him out more than he's carried the team. When the D breaks down and allows the opponent to get a ldecent lead, Dak's incapable of putting the team on his back. He's a bus driver and we're going to pay him engineer money. But hey, if we beat the Eagles 6 to 0 or the Saints 13 to 10, we can praise Dak because he just wins baby!!! I know better.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For us to replace Dak with anyone better we would have to end up with a top 5 pick in the next draft. That simply isn’t going to happen. And by the looks of things it probably won’t happen anytime soon. Otherwise we would have to give up way too much draft capital to move up high enough to draft an acceptable replacement.

Which one of the QB's on your list was a top 5 pick? You know, that list of SB winning QB's plus Dak. And the best QB in the game, Partick Mahomes, was not a top 5 pick. A team needs to have a plan just like KC did even though they had a bus driver QB in Smith and were coming off a 12 and 4 and 10 and 6 season and Alex Smith made the Pro-Bowl both years.

Teams with a real HC and front office don't settle for bus drivers. Alex Smith threw for over 4000 yards in in 2017 with a 104.7 QBR and he was gone after that season. For all the talk out of Dallas about wanting to win SB's, the reality is that they're happy filling the stadium with a bus driver. I mean, listen to you guys....Dak's a winner!!!! Fucking dolts.....

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is just a tired argument.

When the D breaks down and allows the opponent to get a ldecent lead, Dak's incapable of putting the team on his back. He's a bus driver and we're going to pay him engineer money.

IMG_2204.JPG

Dak has recorded the more game winning drives since he came into the league than any other QB. This happens to be the most game winning drives in the first three years of a career since the stat began in 1999.

14 of his 32 wins have come from a game winning drive. That’s nearly half of his total wins.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Dak's going to get paid. Will it be some absolutely ridiculous amount? No doubt about. Will it result in a trip to the Big Game, or even the NFC championship game? How the fuck do I know? We'll all know at the end of January.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If we franchise him and wait to pay him then we will certainly end up paying him in the $40 mil range.

And as far as Dak is concerned, he has been anything but average. I’m not saying he’s the next Troy Aikman. But people around here talk about him like he’s a total bust.

To win games! Plain and simple. And only one QB has won more games than Dak has since Dak came into the league. That just happens to be the GOAT Tom Brady.
View attachment 4722

We ARE going to end up married to Dak. The sooner we do it the less it’s going to cost us.

Dak’s biggest handicap is a coach who refuses to use him to his strengths as opposed to trying to turn him into something he’s not
I think it's a little myopic to mainly blame coaching for Dak being who he is but I guess that theory will be put to the test this year.
I'm in on Dak and do believe he is a franchise quarterback but I also do believe that he needs more around him than the other guys you mentioned to win.
I do agree though with Dodger12 that you can't make yourself a prisoner of the situation you are in and you have to keep looking for better options if they are out there. For now he is our best option but I would let him prove himself this year to see if he can take us to the promised land or at least close to it. I'd rather pay Dak a little more next year ,if he proves it, than pay him now and maybe get a little discount. There is always a chance he does not elevate to where he needs to be and we can then use that as ammunition for his contract.
My other point of contention is that we are bidding against ourselves. No other team out there is paying this guy the kind of money that is being thrown out there knowing his limitations and the help he needs to succeed. Plus another point Dodger12 makes that I agree with is that being the Dallas Cowboys QB does offer a lot of perks and no way he gets those perks being elsewhere.
I remember seeing that first preseason game against the Rams and was thrilled we had finally found our back up. Now he's obviously has turned out to be much better than that but I still cannot put him in the class of Brady, Wilson, Brees or Roethlisberger quite yet (and would take him at Big Ben's, Brady's or Bress' salary!!!)

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

View attachment 4722

Here’s the thing, and here’s my opinion on what they should do with Dak.

Don’t franchise him. In my opinion the one you franchise is Cooper. I’d be ok with paying him the average of the top 5 WR’s in the NFL. My bet is that he’d be ok with that too.

I would place the Transition Tag on Dak. Let him play out the final year of his rookie deal and then Transition him. Let him go out and negotiate a new contract with another team (there MAY be about 4 teams in the market for him). I’m betting that the market won’t be anywhere near the $35-$45 mil he wants. The market for him will likely be in the $20-$25 mil range. Once he realizes that’s all he can get the Cowboys will match that deal under the Transition Tag. If by some miracle he gets offered $40+ mil by another team then peace out Dak. Sign a vet and draft a new QB. I in the camp that really likes Dak but no way am I paying him $40 mil a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

If they let him play out this year and then place the Transition Tag on him that’s exactly what you can do. There will only be about 4 teams in the market for a QB (Cincy, Colts, maybe Dolphins, maybe Tenn, and maybe Raiders). Ok that’s 6 teams but keep in mind this will be a deep QB draft and I don’t think that any of those teams would be willing to pay Dak in the $40 mil range. I don’t care what guys like Wentz, Cousins and Garropolo got, that is not going to be the market for Dak next off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You're not gonna get full value for him when he's one more serious infraction away from a 16-game suspension. Plus, he's got a lot of tread on his tires and many teams refuse to pay RBs out of principle. But if Buffalo offered me that package, I'd jump on it.

Did you post this reply in the wrong thread? Sounds like you're talking about Zeke

Top Bottom