Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
there are only two QB’s in the entire NFL who have more wins than Dak since Dak came into the league.

One is Big Ben and the other is Tom Brady who is arguably the best QB in NFL History

Not bad company for a middle of the pack QB

Macksfield

Cheerleader
Reaction score
there are only two QB’s in the entire NFL who have more wins than Dak since Dak came into the league.

One is Big Ben and the other is Tom Brady who is arguably the best QB in NFL History

Wait, you said yourself,
"Is he a top ten QB?
No
Is he accurate?
Not nearly as accurate as we would like"
Based on your stats, he is a top tier QB right?
Here's interesting excerpt from the article,
"Last season, the leaguewide completion percentage on pass plays run from a read-option was an astounding 78 percent. No player in NFL history has completed more than 72 percent of his passes through a full season. Offensive coaches have created a tactic that made the this era’s average quarterback more accurate than the best quarterbacks in football history."

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Get the hell out of here with your facts. You know that shit gets no play around here. You need to get in line like most everyone else around here and hate Dak because he he doesn’t have a perfect stat line every single game and doesn’t already have 3 SB rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Get the hell out of here with your facts. You know that shit gets no play around here. You need to get in line like most everyone else around here and hate Dak because he he doesn’t have a perfect stat line every single game and doesn’t already have 3 SB rings.

You know, it is possible to love Dak yet be concerned about how his salary will effect the team's ability to win and whether his present weaknesses can be improved upon or overcome going forward

the way the rules are set up to so drastically favor the offense, playing QB now is night and day from what it used to be when your receivers would get their heads knocked off for trying to come across the middle and when QB's regularly got KILLED by the defense set out to hurt them and knock them out of the game.

Given the way the league favors offense and protects the QB, we might be on the verge of seeing a shift in the mindset of how to manage the cap allocation for the QB. Rather than suck up a huge portion of the cap on a top 5 QB, perhaps teams will figure out how to win with a lesser QB but a greater overall team.

Macksfield

Cheerleader
Reaction score

Or just recognize folks have different opinions.
Listen Dak could put it together this coming season and make all the necessary throws to get defenses to back off. And I would be happy, happy. But for my two cents, the article I posted makes a good case against today's stats representing yesterdays stats. Today's QB has it easier than past QB's. Romos stats I think we're better than Aikmans. I take Aikman all day long and twice on Sunday over Romo.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If I have the facts correct, then forget what I said and just leave 2019 as is and franchise him the next 2 seasons and it will cost approximately $59,790,000 total if the % increase in the franchise tag for QBs stays close to the % increase form 2018 to 2019.

This gives the cowboys leverage imo since there's no pressure to pay him $30 million now when they can average paying him less than $20 million per year by leaving 2019 as is and franchising him back to back in years 2020 & 2021. This gives them a 3 year look with maximum flexibility and a reasonable average cost of $20 mill/year

The only downside I see is they'll be forced to part ways or pay him big in 2022 if he turns out to be a stud because the franchise tag $$ will be so bloated, it will no longer be an option

View attachment 4680
Assuming we draft QBs in the next 2 drafts just in case then this sounds sensible but yes big decision coming after the 2nd franchise tag unless you hit on a QB...

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In 2018, Dak threw for better than 300 yards only twice in the regular season. Even more telling, he threw for less than 200 yards 8 times in the regular season. Think about that for a second. All the Tweets showing 20 yards throws won't change that. #DinkandDak

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And before you sensitive Dak slobberers think I'm being too critical and unsympathetic, I get it....we're a run first team. But this guy is challenged to break 200 yards. Hell, I've watched too many games were the guy struggled to break 50 or 100 passing yards in the first half.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And before you sensitive Dak slobberers think I'm being too critical and unsympathetic, I get it....we're a run first team. But this guy is challenged to break 200 yards. Hell, I've watched too many games were the guy struggled to break 50 or 100 passing yards in the first half.
you try to throw for over 200 yds when your coaches call the same 3 predictable passing plays

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If I have the facts correct, then forget what I said and just leave 2019 as is and franchise him the next 2 seasons and it will cost approximately $59,790,000 total if the % increase in the franchise tag for QBs stays close to the % increase form 2018 to 2019.

This gives the cowboys leverage imo since there's no pressure to pay him $30 million now when they can average paying him less than $20 million per year by leaving 2019 as is and franchising him back to back in years 2020 & 2021. This gives them a 3 year look with maximum flexibility and a reasonable average cost of $20 mill/year

The only downside I see is they'll be forced to part ways or pay him big in 2022 if he turns out to be a stud because the franchise tag $$ will be so bloated, it will no longer be an option

View attachment 4680

With so few teams in the market for a starting QB right now, wouldn't it be a better idea to just transition tag him? It would be a lot cheaper. What are the chances that the 1 team, possibly two teams looking for a starter would offer Dak something Dallas wouldn't be willing to match? The franchise tag just seems excessive to me.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

View attachment 4680
With so few teams in the market for a starting QB right now, wouldn't it be a better idea to just transition tag him? It would be a lot cheaper. What are the chances that the 1 team, possibly two teams looking for a starter would offer Dak something Dallas wouldn't be willing to match? The franchise tag just seems excessive to me.

He’s under contract for 1.4 mill this year so I think under franchise or transition rage, we wait until next year right?

Not sure on transition tag, how does that work? It could be better as you suggest, I’m just not familiar with how it works

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you try to throw for over 200 yds when your coaches call the same 3 predictable passing plays

There are plays to me made down field or in the middle of the field. I hate our staff for a lot of reasons but I won't pin those plays solely on them. Teams know what Dak can and can't do. 3rd and 5 might as well be 3rd and 15. We've seen it time and time again.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He’s under contract for 1.4 mill this year so I think under franchise or transition rage, we wait until next year right?

Not sure on transition tag, how does that work? It could be better as you suggest, I’m just not familiar with how it works

Do you think Dak will play for 1.4 million? I don't. He's going to try and cash in now.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Do you think Dak will play for 1.4 million? I don't. He's going to try and cash in now.

I don't know, if it was his choice alone, I'd say yes but how much the agent, CBA, etc can influence him remains to be seen.

its pretty clear jeri is a paper tiger unwilling to play hardball, so advantage Dak then disadvantage team when his salary takes too much of the cap

regardless, my example is to illustrate the leverage the Cowboys have should they choose to use it and how they could limit the cost during a 3 year look. However its written, I'd work to keep the guaranteed money at 60 million and be in a place at year 4 where he could be released if necessary with no dead cap money

I think leverage over a player via good contract terms is an under-rated part of managing a cap and keeping players motivated, I've hated the way Cowboy players contracts have been restructured so many times that they're damned if the keep the player & damned if they don't plus they cant even trade the player because of the screwed up contract (see DeMarcus Ware)

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Under the Transition tag he'll make the average of the top 10 players at his position as opposed to the franchise tag which is top 5. So that should save some money. The other difference between the two tags is that if the Cowboys choose not to match best offer from another team, Dallas gets nothing in return. With the franchise tag Dallas would get two 1st round picks if they chose to not match and let him go. But we both know there isn't a team out there that's going to give up 2 first round picks for Dak. So to me the franchise tag is overkill. The transition tag would invite offers. Dallas always has the option to match. I'd love to see what the best offer for Dak would be among the extremely few teams in need of a starting QB. My guess is not 30M.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Under the Transition tag he'll make the average of the top 10 players at his position as opposed to the franchise tag which is top 5. So that should save some money. The other difference between the two tags is that if the Cowboys choose not to match best offer from another team, Dallas gets nothing in return. With the franchise tag Dallas would get two 1st round picks if they chose to not match and let him go. But we both know there isn't a team out there that's going to give up 2 first round picks for Dak. So to me the franchise tag is overkill. The transition tag would invite offers. Dallas always has the option to match. I'd love to see what the best offer for Dak would be among the extremely few teams in need of a starting QB. My guess is not 30M.

Ooh, I like that better, as long as Dallas gets the chance to match any offers and not lose him if they prefer. If Dak doesnt get better offers, its hard to say the Cowboys are trying to underpay.

Then again the agent will scream that the 2 draft picks are like poison pills attached to any deal undermining Daks ability to get top dollar and to an extent I'd agree

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Like I said before

Jeruh is gonna make Dak the highest paid Cowboy in history and probably the highest paid player in the entire NFL (at least until the next QB’s contract is signed)

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Like I said before

Jeruh is gonna make Dak the highest paid Cowboy in history and probably the highest paid player in the entire NFL (at least until the next QB’s contract is signed)

I don’t know why anyone would be surprised. I’ve been saying this for a while. IT’S GOING TO HAPPEN PEOPLE! No sense in talking about they should call his bluff or see what the market says. The Jones are going to pay the man like around $32 mil a season, it’s going to happen. The longer this drags out the higher that number is going to be.

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
I'm hoping that the new Coaching Staff changes will allow Dak to be more consistent. But I'm damn tired of Dak making the holes that he then so beautifully attempts to get us out of.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Ooh, I like that better, as long as Dallas gets the chance to match any offers and not lose him if they prefer. If Dak doesnt get better offers, its hard to say the Cowboys are trying to underpay.

Then again the agent will scream that the 2 draft picks are like poison pills attached to any deal undermining Daks ability to get top dollar and to an extent I'd agree

Like I said, with the transition tag there are no picks attached. Dallas gets nothing if they don't match the offer. That would allow Dak to get full market value from any team willing to pay him. But I think Dallas won't do that and pay him some ridiculous sum that no other team would be willing to pay. I'd bet on it.

Top Bottom