C

Cr122

Jerry Jones on Dez Bryant: 'He's that genuine.'
July, 26, 2010

By Calvin Watkins

SAN ANTONIO -- The hype surrounding Dez Bryant, the rookie wide receiver, hasn't caught the Cowboys by surprised.

Well nothing surprises the Cowboys, they've seen it and done it all.

Jerry Jones, the owner and man who made the decision to draft Bryant, loves the attention the rookie is getting right now.

"It obviously is very, very fun big thing to Dez Bryant to play football and he gets real enthused when he has the interest of the crowd and I think he’s handling it real well," Jones said following Sunday's practice. "Now this is just the second day, now he said yesterday [Saturday] this was the most special day he had in sports in his life. That’s a pretty genuine statement to make and that says a lot about him, he's that genuine. The fans sense that obviously he’s an outstanding player, you can see that."

Bryant has avoided all sorts of problems since he's been with the team. He became the first draft pick to sign allowing him to report on time, the fans love him, he can't stop signing autographs. He's surrounded by reporters after almost every practice. His mom attended practice on Sunday which meant a lot to him. It seems everything is going good.

Almost.

Roy E. Williams wants Bryant to carry his shoulder pads. It's a rite of passage for rookies to do what the veterans want done. At some point it will happen, but Bryant isn't doing it at this point.

"Dez is like all of us he has some shortcomings," said Jones, who was not asked about the shoulder pad issue. "But of all the lists of shortcomings that you have to deal with the kinds of things that would look Dez over, I welcome. They are in the top two or three percent that I could deal with."

Top Bottom