C

Cr122

Cowboys second-team to get significant time
August, 4, 2010
By Calvin Watkins

SAN ANTONIO -- Wade Phillips was raving about his defense during his news briefing with reporters on Wednesday. The Cowboys worked on their pressure defense in man and zone.

"I thought our defense really looked good," Phillips said. "I thought our defense really stepped up today and they really looked good."

Here's some highlights:

*The first-team offense will get about two series before taking away to the second-team which is expected play most of the first half and into the early stages of the second half.

"The number of plays is the key," Phillips said. "I like to have an eight-to-10 play drive and a couple of short stints for the defense. Then we got a lot of guys we need to look at. The second group will finish the first half and go into the second half."

*Of the two draft picks, Sean Lee and Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, who returned to the field Wednesday, Lee has the best chance of playing on Sunday vs. Cincinnati. Phillips said Lee made very few assignment mistakes in his first day back after missing nearly a week. Lee had a sack against the first-team offense.

Owusu-Ansah, who hasn't practiced all summer as he recovered from a separated shoulder and a hamstring injury, worked on kick returns and played safety.

"Akwasi did not make any mental mistakes," Phillips said.

It's doubtful if Owusu-Ansah will play Sunday.

*Cornerback Teddy Williams, who hasn't played college football, had one of his better days. He knocked a pass away intended for Patrick Crayton, drawing praise from his secondary mates.

"He did better," Phillips said. "It's really hard to play, may look at some special teams."

*Victor Butler, in place of Anthony Spencer, who missed the team drills with a bruised right Achilles, "had a great day" according to Phillips.

Phillips noted how Butler did a nice job on a toss play.

Top Bottom