C

Cr122

Posted at 3:11 PM on Sat., Jul. 31, 2010
Gerry Fraley / Reporter

Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said on Saturday defended the workload of players during training camp.

Owner-general manager Jerry Jones had questioned the use of rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant after he incurred an high ankle sprain during Friday's practice. Jones questioned whether Bryant's practice duties, which have included returning kickoffs, made him fatigued and more vulnerable to injury.

Phillips said the workload was caused not by fatigue but an off-line throw from backup quarterback Jon Kitna. Bryant, open on the play, had to reach back and became entangled with cornerback Orlando Scandrick. Phillips also said front-line receivers Miles Austin and Roy Williams have been used in practice more than Bryant.

``We talk about that every night,'' Phillips said of the practice use of each player. ``We emphasize since we've been here to try not to hurt our own guys. That's coaching-wise or our own players.''

Phillips said he did not perceive Jones' comments a second-guessing of him and his staff. In his daily talks with Phillips, Jones had not raised the issue of how much time Bryant was on the field during practice.

``He's passionate about his teaw,'' Phillips said. ``He worries about the same things I worry about. That's one of the things I like about him. He's an owner that is passionate and wants to get better. I do, too.''

sbk92

Reaction score
Wade's fine with anything Jerry does.

He's got no backbone. That's why he's here.

C

Cr122

Wade's fine with anything Jerry does.

He's got no backbone. That's why he's here.

Jerry knows he can use Wade as his puppet.

It doesn't matter what any of the coaches think because if it's not what Jerry wants it's not going to be in the teams plans.

Top Bottom