Reaction score
Mine are purring!

Mon. Practice Recap: Zeke Takes His First NFL Hits; Rookies Impress | Dallas Cowboys

"Morris Claiborne is getting a look at kick returner alongside Lucky Whitehead, as was written about earlier Monday. The Cowboys also worked on punt returns on Monday afternoon, and it was rookie receiver Ed Eagan – not Cole Beasley – who split the reps with Whitehead."

"Darius Jackson – The rookie running back generated some buzz when he was drafted in the sixth round in May, and he showed why in his debut practice. Running with the third team offense, Jackson showed some impressive speed and elusiveness, stopping and starting on a dime and reversing field several times to pick up extra yardage."

"Charles Tapper – The rookie defensive end had a strong first day with the pads on, not only showing that speed, but some power, too. Tapper had three nice bull-rushes in the 1-on-1 drills but more than held his own against starters Doug Free and Tyron Smith, beating the veterans off the edge a couple of times."

"It wasn’t the most amazing play we’ll see during this training camp, but why not give Anthony Brown some recognition? The coaching staff threw the rookie onto the field for full-team reps with the first-team defense – likely because Orlando Scandrick sat out the period. Working in the slot, Brown was in the right place at the right time when Tony Romo and Cole Beasley miscommunicated on a short curl. The ball went wide on Beasley and wound up right in Brown’s arms, where he fell to the ground to make sure he held on for the interception. Not bad for a sixth-round pick during his first day of practice."

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Obviously Elliott is what makes or break this draft class.

I'm intrigued by Darius Jackson and Rico Gathers. Maybe Kavon Frazier too but this scouting department/coaching staff liking a safety is the kiss of death.

I think Tapper is a serviceable guy, he's Jeremy Mincey at best. I do not like Maliek Collins at all. Anthony Brown does nothing for me either. Dak Prescott is awful. The only UDFA's I'm curious about are Jake Brendel (Center from UCLA) and maybe Deon King (linebacker from Norfolk State). With the desperation to sign veteran linebackers, King might not have any shot of stealing reps and making the team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tapper is eons more gifted physically than Mincey is/was though. Not sure why you don't like Collins any there is definitely some stuff in his video clips that stands out. Doesn't mean either will be good, but they seem like good fits for Marinelli's scheme.

If they hit big time on Elliott (seems likely barring injury) and if Jaylon Smith could return and be similar to the kind of player he was at Notre Dame, this draft could be pretty good just with these two guys alone. I know Smith is a longshot but he here's now so we all should be pulling for him and keeping the fingers crossed. Could be everything Rolando McClain isn't at MLB and be a cornerstone defensive player for a decade.

Reaction score
Obviously Elliott is what makes or break this draft class.

I'm intrigued by Darius Jackson and Rico Gathers. Maybe Kavon Frazier too but this scouting department/coaching staff liking a safety is the kiss of death.

I think Tapper is a serviceable guy, he's Jeremy Mincey at best. I do not like Maliek Collins at all. Anthony Brown does nothing for me either. Dak Prescott is awful. The only UDFA's I'm curious about are Jake Brendel (Center from UCLA) and maybe Deon King (linebacker from Norfolk State). With the desperation to sign veteran linebackers, King might not have any shot of stealing reps and making the team.

Deon King, I had to go back and look at stats and highlights. Strange mix of being kind of bulky and slow, but a sudden and deceptive burst which probably gave him all of those tackles. The odd part is I haven't seen LBs like him who seem to be swarming tacklers also collect sacks. He had 22 in three seasons. His 40 time is 4.7 and his 10 yard split is 1.68, so he is neither remarkably straight line fast nor initially quick. But if you look at his 20 yard split, it's 2.65 which means he accelerates out of the first ten yards and goes the next 10 in under a second. I'll bet that's how he gets both involved in so many tackles - especially tackles for loss, as well as sacks if he can find a hidden and brief second gear during flow to the ball. Just a theory.

As far as UDFAs, I still believe that Eagan is the type of WR Dallas needs right now. It's interesting that there were some WR groupings of Eagan, Beasley and Whitehead. Three extremely shifty and fairly fast (although in Dallas WR standards, they are just below Brice Butler as the fastest on the team), but kind of a Joe Gibbs era type WR stature for his Coryell offense: tough to cover in space.

And then Rodney Coe because he seems like a true 1 technique, both in size and skill.

Frazier, I think he has a chance too, skill wise, but a team that keeps a Heath and covers for the dumb of a Wilcox might not understand why a Frazier can play, or should play.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That UDFA WR from Jacksonville continues to draw a lot of positive reports too.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Tapper with a good interview on the ticket right now. Talking about how he was recruited to a defense like this one out of high school, then Stoops came in and put in a two gap read and react defense. Of course this one will suit his skills a lot better.

Sounds like a pretty smart, enthusiastic guy too.

Top Bottom