bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1484944369-630812892.jpg

Jon Machota, Cowboys beat writer for SportsDayDFW.com and The Dallas Morning News, answered questions about the team in a live chat Friday. Here are some of the highlights:

Q: If you're Jerry and Stephen, what position are you drafting in the first round and what are a couple players at that position I should start watching highlight reels on?

Machota: At the top of my list is defensive end. No. 2 would be cornerback. Good news for the Cowboys, the experts are saying this draft is relatively deep at both positions. The DEs that could be there: Taco Charlton from Michigan; DeMarcus Walker, Florida State; Charles Harris, Missouri. The corners: Tre'Davious White, LSU; Adoree' Jackson, USC; Gareon Conley, Ohio State; Jourdan Lewis, Michigan.

Q: Sooooo, who's the backup to Dak next year? Also, do you see him going through a sophomore slump?

Machota: I don't see a sophomore slump from Dak. I expect him to work as hard as he's ever worked this offseason. The way the season ended will be motivation but so will knowing he's the franchise QB going forward. There's more on his plate now, and I think he'll handle it well. As for his backup, it'll come down to Mark Sanchez and Kellen Moore. Picking today, my money would be on Sanchez. But don't underestimate how highly Scott Linehan thinks of Moore.

Q: Since we seem to be taking value picks like Jaylon Smith and Gregory, what do you say about Joe Mixon in the second? Him and Zeke would be quite nice

Machota: I don't see why the Cowboys would want to take on that type of distraction, especially in the second round. They need to focus on defense. If he was a pass rusher, it might be a different story. And I only say that because they took a chance on Hardy. Regardless of the position, I'd pass. I know he's talented, but I'm trying to limit distractions as much as possible.

Q: What's the running back depth chart going to look like behind Zeke next year?

Machota: Alfred Morris has one year left on his contract. I think he'll be the veteran backup and the third guy will likely be someone the Cowboys draft in the later rounds. They found Darius Jackson if the sixth round last year. They liked him, but he was claimed off waivers by the Browns last month. Look for the Cowboys to draft another RB late.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I definitely see them going DE in the 1st and CB in the 2nd. Cutting Jackson was a huge mistake because now they have to spend another pick on a RB. I just that they finally move on from Dungbar.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah from NFL Network is projecting Dallas to draft UCLA DE Takkarist McKinnley. He's an edge rusher that I saw someone compare to Demarcus Ware. I saw some videos of him and he's definitely the type of player this team needs.

Reaction score
It would be stupid (but par for the course) to go into next year with Moore and Butt Fumbler as backups. Both look as much sad sack of shit as did Weeden and Cassel. Keeping either or both as back ups to Dak very likely will cost them the season should Dak get hurt (although we know that Garrett will cost us the season once we get in the playoffs). Therefor, I fully expect Butt Fumbler to be the back up next year AND cost us the playoffs by going 0-7 or some other crap result in a relief role.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It would be stupid (but par for the course) to go into next year with Moore and Butt Fumbler as backups. Both look as much sad sack of shit as did Weeden and Cassel. Keeping either or both as back ups to Dak very likely will cost them the season should Dak get hurt (although we know that Garrett will cost us the season once we get in the playoffs). Therefor, I fully expect Butt Fumbler to be the back up next year AND cost us the playoffs by going 0-7 or some other crap result in a relief role.

Denver's 3rd and Simien for Romo

Reaction score
I saw another mock someplace had us taking McKinley as well.

McKinley doesn't seem that fast and the NFL level OTs are not going to just let him wrest his way free of them. Dallas needs a speed edge rusher like Feeney, or Ware or a Simeon Rice. McKinley looks like he engages more than avoids. I think they need a veteran free agent.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
BTB looked at like 34 different mocks and the guy most often picked to go Dallas is Charles Harris DE Missouri, not that it means a damn thing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What is the status of McKinley's rumored shoulder issue? I thought I read he may have a torn labrum or something.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What is the status of McKinley's rumored shoulder issue? I thought I read he may have a torn labrum or something.

According to Tony Pauline if he has surgery it will be within a couple weeks for shoulder labrum.

Reaction score
He went to the California state finals for the 100 and 200 in both his junior and senior years. The kid is fast.

Okay that sounds great. I believe you but show me here how his kind of speed will translate to elite edge speed in the pros. What I see especially at :38 is that he is kind of just getting around OTs who have poor technique. That's not going to happen in the NFL. Just show me which one or two of his highlights best demonstrates the kind of speed that will beat NFL OTs.

Takkarist McKinley || UCLA DE Highlight Mix - YouTube

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You are saying poor technique by the OT at :38, I'm seeing a guy who got off the ball so fast that the OT never had a legit chance. Same thing at the 1:58 mark. At 2:10, the OT leaves and the OG has no shot at him. What I really like about him his closing speed. Once he sees it, he gets fast and violent in a hurry. I like my pass rushers a little bigger (he's barely 6'2") but he has those long arms that allow him to get his hands on O-Linemen quickly and help him keep balance in his bend.

At 28, I'll gladly take him.

Reaction score
I see the closing speed. But for the :38 example, he is running kind of square and not dipped and turning in like speed rushers do. He seems to move kind of big and the OT keeps his hand on him which to me looks more like bad technique than McKinley blowing by him. 1:58 he ran through the OT which is not going to happen. 2:10 I can see a little of the corner speed there. But my point is if those were highlights of a edge DE, it wasn't clear that is his best role.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So what if pick 28 gets here and the clear best player on the board is a RT or Guard. Do you take him or reach for a defensive player that's clearly a 2nd round pick?

Top Bottom