sbk92

Reaction score
Baylor offensive lineman Danny Watkins, who is the second-highest rated guard behind Florida's Mike Pouncey, does not have a visit set up with the Cowboys. But he is hoping they call.

Watkins has worked out for Baltimore, Cincinnati, St. Louis and Chicago. He is visiting San Diego on Wednesday.

The Cowboys could use a young guard. Kyle Kosier and Leonard Davis did not have their best seasons in 2010, and Kosier will be 33 in November and Davis turns 33 in September.

"I haven't heard anything from Dallas," Watkins said. "...I'm hoping that I do get a chance to come up there. I'm expecting it. I know a lot of the teams do their visits in April."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Houck and a couple of our scouts attended the guy's proday personally I recall reading somewhere, I'd say that means we're interested

sbk92

Reaction score
Rookies have a 50% chance of busting and never contributing. Danny Watkins is as sure as they come. He'll start from day one.

The Cowboys should draft the player they project to be the best over their career. Not the player who can instantly start game one.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The Cowboys should draft the player they project to be the best over their career. Not the player who can instantly start game one.

Down the line after they immediately resolve the current line issues with a Danny Watkins.

sbk92

Reaction score
Down the line after they immediately resolve the current line issues with a Danny Watkins.

No. Now and always. That's always how you approach the draft.

You have a lot of current holes because you don't draft right. To continue to draft wrong isn't the answer.

I'd have instant impact right up there next to eye color on draft preferences.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
No. Now and always. That's always how you approach the draft.

You have a lot of current holes because you don't draft right. To continue to draft wrong isn't the answer.

I'd have instant impact right up there next to eye color on draft preferences.

Since when is drafting an immediate starter wrong?

Our problem is that we've continually whiffed on players who've never contributed a single ounce to us.

Now I'm not saying we should draft scared, but you need to get at least one immediate starter from your draft. You can expirament in the later rounds.

sbk92

Reaction score
Since when is drafting an immediate starter wrong?

When you make that the determining factor in your picks.

It should always be about taking the best player over their career.

And if he starts the first year, bonus.

Our problem is that we've continually whiffed on players who've never contributed a single ounce to us.

Now I'm not saying we should draft scared, but you need to get at least one immediate starter from your draft. You can expirament in the later rounds.

Our problem is 1) We don't approach the draft properly. We do things like draft for backups, special teams, year one starters, instead of taking the BPA. and 2) We don't have a talent evaluator making the decisions.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
When you make that the determining factor in your picks.
It should always be about taking the best player over their career.

And if he starts the first year, bonus.

I don't mind taking Tyron Smith at #9 who may not contribute his rookie year. And I don't think that should be the determining issue in all the draft picks.

Just certain variables such as our line is in need of a serious upgrade has me convinced that it's needed to draft at least one who can step in immediately and contribute there.

sbk said:
Our problem is 1) We don't approach the draft properly. We do things like draft for backups, special teams, year one starters, instead of taking the BPA. and 2) We don't have a talent evaluator making the decisions.

Agreed about #2.

Last edited:

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't mind taking Tyron Smith at #9 who may not contribute his rookie year. And I don't think that should be the determining issue in all the draft picks.

It shouldn't be the determining factor in any draft pick. Either it's the right approach or it's wrong.

Take Watkins because you think he's the best player there. Don't take him because OMG somebody has to start this year.

You hear our "GM" talk about this first year importance because he doesn't know what he's doing and he's not capable of looking down the road. I've never heard anyone I respect in an NFL War Room mention instant impact as anything but a bonus.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
It shouldn't be the determining factor in any draft pick. Either it's the right approach or it's wrong.

Take Watkins because you think he's the best player there. Don't take him because OMG somebody has to start this year.

You hear our "GM" talk about this first year importance because he doesn't know what he's doing and he's not capable of looking down the road. I've never heard anyone I respect in an NFL War Room mention instant impact as anything but a bonus.

Watkins is ranked around #40, so I don't see what the problem is.

Top Bottom