Reaction score
Theismann: Redskins signing Manning would be “horrific idea”
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 7, 2012, 8:05 PM EST

Redskins fans seem understandably excited about the possibility of adding Peyton Manning this offseason.

Perhaps the biggest fan of them all — former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann — is not so excited.

“It’s not a good idea, it’s not a bad idea — It’s a horrific idea,” he told 106.7 last week via DC SportsBog. ”It would be one of the poorest things that we could do as a franchise. Are we gonna go find another guy for just a couple of years again? Haven’t we done this before? Haven’t we seen this act before? And by the way, if you get Peyton Manning, don’t you have a concern about protecting him? Don’t you have a concern about who he throws the football to?”

We understand Theismann’s concern, but signing Manning isn’t like picking up Bruce Smith or Deion Sanders. It’s a roll of the dice on Manning’s health, but the potential reward is worth the considerable gamble.

If Manning is actually healthy and resembles the old Peyton Manning, he’s worth more than the Redskins can pay him. Washington hasn’t been able to find an answer at quarterback for years. If you are going to start all over again, why not with an all-time great?

“We’re tired of looking for stop gaps,” Theismann said. “It’s time to draft one of your own, or make a deal for a young one of your own, and nurture him, and then put the players around him. If we’re gonna be 5-11, if we’re gonna be 6-10, let’s do it with somebody who’s [learning as he goes], instead of guys that have been here, making mistakes.”

Mike Shanahan won’t be the coach anymore if the Redskins go 6-10 again. And a healthy Manning should make any team with a decent defense a contender. Washington’s defense is plenty talented.

There’s no rule that says the Redskins couldn’t develop a young quarterback while Manning is there. And there’s really no guarantee the Redskins will find someone worth developing.

No matter what Theismann thinks, we expect the Redskins to be at the front of the line of teams doing everything possible to sign Manning.

Reaction score
As a Tennessee fan, I think I'd physically be nauseous if Manning ever dons a Redskins uniform.

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Theismann is right. The Redskins finally had some success with their draft last year, and building a young, talented team is a good way to go. They need way too many pieces for Manning to lead them anywhere in the next couple of years. Manning should go to a team closer to the bowl that just needs that QB.

Reaction score
The Redskins would've won the division if they had a QB last year.

You absolutely have to make this move if you're the Skins.

C

Cr122

I don't think the Skins are that far from the rest of the NFC East. They have some good pieces in place.

This division is pretty talented. Give the Skins a legit QB and a few other pieces on offense and defense and they have a good chance to compete and this division will be one of the best again.

Don't get me wrong they are the worst team in the division still but guys like Kerrigan, Orakpo, Hankerson, Fred Davis, Westbrook, ect;

there's a lot of other teams that are worse.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Skins have no talent. None. I can't name more than 1 of their WRs, their Oline or whoever their safeties are going to be once they let Landry walk.

Reaction score
lol @ anyone who thinks the Redskins have talent. They're franchising Fred fucking Davis. That tells you how much wealth of talent exists out there.

That team has many more issues than QB. Peyton (if healthy) is too smart to go there.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think the Skins are that far from the rest of the NFC East---They went 6-10 last year with a last place schedule---I know, I know... they're actually closer to 10-6 than to 6-10---at least that's what Redskins' fans would tell you. Then they went 5-11 this year with once against a last place schedule. I know, I know again... they're actually closer to 11-5 than 5-11. They have some good pieces in place.---Every team in the NFL has some good pieces here and there.

This division is pretty talented. Give the Skins a legit QB and a few other pieces on offense and defense and they have a good chance to compete and this division will be one of the best again.

Don't get me wrong they are the worst team in the division still but guys like Kerrigan---a decent player, reaol good, Orakpo---overrated with his 1.5 sacks in 18 games against the division., Hankerson---meh, Fred Davis---realo good player, Westbrook---the wr? He doesn't play for the Redskins anymore. Oh yiou mean Bryan Westbrook's little brother? Meh. Would be a PS on most other teams., ect;---who are hte 'etc'?

there's a lot of other teams that are worse.

:Dunce

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
lol @ anyone who thinks the Redskins have talent. They're franchising Fred fucking Davis. That tells you how much wealth of talent exists out there.

That team has many more issues than QB. Peyton (if healthy) is too smart to go there.

They're franchising him because it's cheap to franchise a tight end and they don't want to commit to a long term contract.

Reaction score
Uhh. Franchise tags are usually reserved for great players. Not repeat drug offenders who have half of a good season.

That kinda shit only happens in DC where there's no other talent.

Reaction score
joke post?

No. Giants winning the SB notwithstanding, the NFC East was crap last year.

Redskins went 6-10. Beat the Giants twice. Lost to us twice in two too close for comfort games, despite having Rex Grossman. They played their worst ball when John Beck was in there.

They might not have won the division, but I think they would've been right in the mix down to week 17.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They're franchising him because it's cheap to franchise a tight end and they don't want to commit to a long term contract.

I don't know about that. The top 5 highest-paid TEs which I imagine to be Vernon Davis, Witten, Gonzales, Clark, Gates, are not making chump change.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I can't think of a team in the league that has less talent than Washington on their roster.

Maybe Cleveland. Maybe Indy without Peyton. That's it. They aren't contenders for the next three years.

Reaction score
I can't think of a team in the league that has less talent than Washington on their roster.

Maybe Cleveland. Maybe Indy without Peyton. That's it. They aren't contenders for the next three years.

Yeah, Indy sucks without Peyton. Yet they're a 10 win team with him.

Can you explain why you don't think he'd have a similar impact in Washington?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Two words: NFC EAST. And Manning is older and no telling the impact of his injury with lingering effects.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

no receiving threats, new offense, he's trying to heal from a debilitating injury and might have a rag arm now, it's the redskins nothing they do ever works. But even without Peyton Indy has some stars and threats in Wayne and Clark (injured) and then on defense of course they always have their front line and good safety play. Orakpo and Kerrigan aren't on Freeney and Mathis's level. There is just nooooooo talent in Washington. They have like 3 decent players. No stars. No threats.

Reaction score
My original comment was that I thought the Redskins would've won the division had they a really for real NFL QB. And I stand by that.

Regarding the older/injured comments, yeah.... but I'd assume he'd pass a physical to play. If Manning is broke, then no, he won't help them.

Regarding the weapons, Washington has good TE's. Gaffney is serviceable. The free agent wide receiving corps is solid. And more importantly, you'll likely have your chance at any receiver (maybe not Blackmon) with that #6 pick in the draft.

Top Bottom