Reaction score
14. Dallas Cowboys
Who's the best "Overrated, Underrated or Properly Rated?" argument in the entire league? Antonio Ramiro Romo, that's who. You can argue both sides until you're blue in the face. If we judged QBs like we're starting to judge baseball pitchers — in other words, follow sabermetric bully Brian Kenny's lead, ignore win-loss records entirely, and focus only on things that pitchers can control, like baserunners allowed, innings pitched, strikeout/walk ratio and everything else — then Romo would come off REALLY well. Football Outsiders (with its DYAR stat) ranked him as 2012's sixth-best QB and 2011's fourth-best QB. His two-year numbers are impressive: 9,087 yards, 59 TDs, 29 INTs, 8 lost fumbles (I thought it would be more), 65.9% completion, 95.8 rating, 67 QBR. Statistically, he's a notch below the Rodgers/Brady/Manning/Brees group, but he's better than (or even with) basically anyone else.

Then you think about Romo's record those last two years (16-16), his playoff record (1-3), the unfortunate luck that continually undermines him (like Dez Bryant's fingernail landing out of bounds on a game-winning score against the Giants last year), or even that you could say the words "pulling a Romo" and people would know what that means. He's 33 years old. When is this getting better? My buddy Hirschy (big Giants fan) loves playing Romo, explaining, "I know he puts up big stats, but he's SO careless with the football. I love playing that guy, I always feel like he's gonna give us the football when we need it." Fair or unfair, it seems like a lot of fans feel that way.

Anyway, I think we're headed for a "You know what? Tony Romo is underrated!" season: more than 5,000 yards, more than 35 TDs, fewer than 15 turnovers … and yet, the Cowboys will finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs, and everyone will blame Tony Romo again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Top Bottom