C

Cr122

Teddy Williams: 'This is a blessing to be a Cowboy and I'm loving it'
Posted at 9:20 PM on Thu., Jul. 29, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
SportsDayDFW.com sports Bio | E-mail | News tips

What did Terence Newman say to you?
"He was just working with me on my footwork. And he told me, 'It was a good first day'. He was proud of me. I came out on my footwork a little rusty but he worked with me and gave me some techniques, and I'm moving forward."

How raw do you think you are as a player?
"I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm raw, but football comes pretty natural. So I'm going to come out here and do my best, do what the coaches ask of me, get advice from the older players and move forward to try to progress every day."

How did this all come about?
"It was an opportunity that I was presented with by the Cowboys. So they gave me the opportunity and they said they would really love to have me on the team so I couldn't pass it up."

On making a decision between football and track:
"Football has always been my heart and my love. Track really helped me progress as a person and as an athlete competing throughout the four years I was at UTSA. So coming back to football is a great feeling. (It's nice) being out here with the guys and (having) them believe in me to do something special to help this team get to a Super Bowl."

On the last time you played football at John Tyler High School:
"Yes sir, at John Tyler back in 2006. I played receiver so the whole secondary thing is new but I believe in myself and the coaches believe in me so I feel like we can do great things."

On your feeling today:
"It's a great feeling to be back on the field and to lace up the cleats, put on shoulder pads and a helmet again. To be able to come out and compete with the best in the world and be on a great team that has great expectations for the season. I'm just excited and the coaches are excited."

Did you grow up a Cowboys fan?
"If you live in Texas, you have to be a Cowboys fan. And being 100 miles down the road in Tyler, that's all I could do was be a Cowboys fan. So this is truly a blessing and I'm loving it."

On your prior training:
"I've actually been training for football because I was thinking about going out for college football for a year. Either Division I for a year or Division II for two years. So it was a great opportunity, and I was already in shape so coming out here and training wasn't really hard on me (in terms of) doing the workouts and everything, it's fun. I love this sport and I'm going to put everything in it."

Had you decided on a college?
"I didn't have one decided, I just had a few options."

On the encouragement you got from the veterans:
"All of the veterans, offense and defense, have motivated me and they believe in me. I've been here probably two days and they already trust me. They heard about what I did in track, but they trust me in football and I've come to help this team in any way I can. Terence is a great person to look up to; he is great on the field and great off of the field, so I couldn't look up to anyone better at this point."

Top Bottom