dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He was on this afternoon with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwin.

Miller and Kirwin liked most of our picks, they didn't talk about all 9 in depth but hit on a few things:

1) Jones reiterated what others had said, that they didn't give any consideration to taking Manziel. He did say they had a couple of offers to move down, but didn't feel the deals got them enough value to pass up on Martin.

2) They love Martin, he'll play G this yr but it sounds like he is definitely moving to RT next year.

3) Hit on Melton some, said he's been there every day so far and they expect him to be a go for the start of camp, although they said they might ease him into things at first. Marinelli thinks he is going to be a real catalyst to the D, also mentioned how his two best season were with Marinelli as his coach.

4) Marinelli told Jones that Ben Gardner was a perfect fit for this style of defense at LDE. Love his motor and how he plays. Someone on the Cowboys network said Saturday Gardner might be bulked up and played as a 3 tech DT, but Jones said LDE for now. He didn't say this, but I would think that would mean Crawford is moving inside to DT unless maybe Selvie is moving to RDE.

5) Talked about Hitchens and said that Eberflus and the def coordinator at Iowa are pretty tight, and that he really turned the Cowboy scouts onto him. Said he was drafted to be a backup MLB but that he currently plays WOLB for Iowa, said they will see how he does in camp and that "he could end up being a factor at one of those OLB spots" (I took this to mean if he was really good and Carter continued to be mediocre, he could end up starting there)

6) Hit on the USFA QB from West texas A&M. Liked his size and arm strength, said scouts noted that typically there at West Texas A&M and in that part of the state QB's see a lot of passes affected by wind, but they didn't see him having any problems cutting through the wind. Extremely productive, also said he is extremely smart (cant remember, might have said he was a bio chem major or something)

7) Said Dooley loves Devin Street and really liked the Missouri WR we signed as UDFA a lot as well.

8) In regards to the Lawrence pick, he reiterated again that their scouts and coaches really only liked 3 or 4 guys as a true edge rush, RDE get the QB type of guy. Clowney and Barr were the other two, but both were long gone. Said Lawrence was the 3rd guy and that they had a very considerable drop off in opinions from Lawrence to whomever the 4th guy was (never said who). He said Lawrence wasn't used exclusively as a true DE in the Boise scheme otherwise his already excellent production would have been even better. Said he played something called a "6 technique" sometimes which I am not sure what that means, have never heard that one before. Maybe someone who played or has a lot of scheme knowledge can explain. Here though they said he will concentrate this yr mainly on pass rushing, didn't sound like they expect him to start and wanted him to spend his time doing one thing.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Said he played something called a "6 technique" sometimes which I am not sure what that means, have never heard that one before. Maybe someone who played or has a lot of scheme knowledge can explain. Here though they said he will concentrate this yr mainly on pass rushing, didn't sound like they expect him to start and wanted him to spend his time doing one thing.

All that means is that he was playing the outside shoulder of the tackle or straight on to the tight end if they were running an off set. Very similar to what Julius Peppers was doing quite a bit in Chicago.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Said he played something called a "6 technique" sometimes which I am not sure what that means, have never heard that one before.

Defensive_Line_Techniques_and_Gaps.jpg

Reaction score
Cool so we drafted a bunch of all pros!

Meh. I'll curb my enthusiasm until these guys show something.

David, I doubt Gardner starts over Crawford. I just doubt he can overcome his T-Rex arms.

Reaction score
Re: Lawrence - I think what we all have to realize is the bad thing didn't happen.. And that is: Jerry moving up in the first round to get Lawrence. He actually waited. (Yes he could have waited a little longer but I can tolerate the impulsive over the reckless and foolish).

4) Marinelli told Jones that Ben Gardner was a perfect fit for this style of defense at LDE. Love his motor and how he plays. Someone on the Cowboys network said Saturday Gardner might be bulked up and played as a 3 tech DT, but Jones said LDE for now. He didn't say this, but I would think that would mean Crawford is moving inside to DT unless maybe Selvie is moving to RDE.

Gardner!

Reaction score
Marinelli also wet his pants in excitement over jj Wilcox and that guy lost his starting job to Jeff Heath.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Marinelli also wet his pants in excitement over jj Wilcox and that guy lost his starting job to Jeff Heath.

Wilcox got hurt, and he also lost his mother in preseason and missed a week or so with that.

Heath didn't beat him out. Heath probably wont even make the team this yr.

Top Bottom