Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Star Crossed: The Story of Quincy Carter & Tony Romo - Part 1 | Dallas Cowboys

Great documentary. Much of what I've seen we already knew, from QC being over drafted, to his red flags at Georgia, to his drug problems in the NFL, to how Romo was "found" and BP's influence on his development. The one thing I didn't know was Woodson's comments about Romo being the best QB on the team when Darren had to play against him when Romo was running the scout team. Woodson went to BP and told him Romo has the best QB on the team by far.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The one thing I didn't know was Woodson's comments about Romo being the best QB on the team when Darren had to play against him when Romo was running the scout team. Woodson went to BP and told him Romo has the best QB on the team by far.

It wasn't like his competition was Troy Aikman in his prime there Dodger

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
the four main things I remember about rookie Quincy were:

1) he had trouble taking a snap
2) couldn't throw a spiral
3) we cut Tony Banks for no good reason and gave Q the job
4) first start was two days before 9/11

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Watching this, he was even a bigger mental midget than I realized at the time. He thought about quitting baseball when it was in the 40s at night in May in Illinois and when he saw his .130 average on the scoreboard in front of his face. He threw a fit when Jerry signed Hutch because he thought he was the man. He smoked nonstop right before training camp. He had that fit when he blew up at Jerry on the sidelines at Arizona (because the heat got to his brain).

Just an absolute idiot. How did Jerry ever think this bozo could be the QB of an NFL team? Oh yeah, because Jerry's a bozo himself.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It wasn't like his competition was Troy Aikman in his prime there Dodger

No, but he was competing against a 2nd round pick and a guy Jerry gave 3 million dollars to. As raw as he was, it's amazing folks thought he was better (at that time) than the others.

Reaction score
Homer midswat used to tell everyone on the redskins espn boards that Quincy was gonna be good and he had a better rookie season than McNabb.

Heh

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I thought there was a glimmer of hope when he led us to the playoffs under Parcells. Tuna was so impressed that he immediately signed Vinny the next off-season. :lol

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think he knew what Carter was after dealing with him for a season. I don't think he was overly surprised that he imploded.

Reaction score
IIRC we cut Banks right after a preseason game where Carter hit some no name receiver deep on a beautifully thrown td bomb.

God do you remember the scrubs we used to bring in a WR? Chris Brazzell, Ken Yon Rambo, Deveren Henderson, etc. And yeah, homer midswat used to think all of them would pan out. Especially Rambo. :(

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The fact that there were fans that thought Quincy Carter was worth a shit, it was laughable. He was terrible from the word go.

Reaction score
I thought there was a glimmer of hope when he led us to the playoffs under Parcells. Tuna was so impressed that he immediately signed Vinny the next off-season. :lol

I had that same glimmer of hope. It seemed possible that Quincy would develop into something serviceable.

But of course we didn't know just how unstable he was. The man had supremely poor judgement.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Just finished watching. The second half was even better than the beginning. Tony is awesome. And Quincy is even a bigger idiot than I thought after watching the first part. What an absolute fuckup he was. Again, how did ANYONE think he could ever lead this team? Just more evidence of how stupid Jerry and his little inner circle like Jim Donnan were. Morons.

I do wish they'd shown a little more about why exactly he was cut that day. They did talk about him putting his head on the desk and not paying attention in the meeting after the scrimmage, but was that totally it? And why cut him at 5:00 in the morning? Makes me think it was the rumor that he flunked another pee test, even though they couldn't admit it.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The one thing I didn't know was Woodson's comments about Romo being the best QB on the team when Darren had to play against him when Romo was running the scout team. Woodson went to BP and told him Romo has the best QB on the team by far.

That was pretty cool, I had never heard that either.

Good show but it also brought back horrible memories of that era when jerri, Lacewell & Campo were running the show and it was horrific to watch, so bad that I couldn't even watch the games anymore and had to sprint to find the remote so I could change the channel everytime jerri and his dumbass smirk was rambling his endless nonsense.

I know jerri still clamors for attention but in my opinion, things are not being run the same way. I don't seem to see jerri as much and its obvious the wildcatting ways that made him successful in the oil biz are no longer the dominant influence around Valley Ranch and I love it.

The less jerri, the better. His reign was like having a fan run the team and it showed in seemingly every decision and especially on Sundays. I hope we never have to go back to that.

And we were damn lucky to find Romo. Thank god for Parcells as well, I know a lot of people don't like him but I love his style, dry wit and for how he left the organization better off when he left, I shudder to think where the team would be had he not coached here.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I do wish they'd shown a little more about why exactly he was cut that day. They did talk about him putting his head on the desk and not paying attention in the meeting after the scrimmage, but was that totally it?

could've sworn it was because of a failed drug test, and this news article confirms as much:

Cowboys send last year's starting QB packing

And why cut him at 5:00 in the morning? Makes me think it was the rumor that he flunked another pee test, even though they couldn't admit it.

strange indeed. it's like being hazed at a frat you're rushing.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
That morning hamburger steak tongue was released, I was so happy.

Top Bottom