Reaction score
Dennis and Cowlishaw spotlighted Dallas's failures at CB evaluation citing the last 8 years of drafting with only Scandrick being a viable player. They scoffed at Claibornes career except for this year saying he was would have been worth keeping the way he started the year. They said the jury is just getting started on Brown (they said BW Webb is still in the NFL somewhere). Then both Dennis and Cowlishaw began to just kind of wander through the defensive line before saying this: "Well it seems like they are not very good evaluators of the defensive line either". Cowlishaw started rationalizing that Dallas (Jerry and Jason) prefer to pour more into the offense.

Now more than ever the Garrett's need to go. This team may never get a defense until they leave.

However the TE position will be ultra-stocked because THATS a need.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dennis and Cowlishaw spotlighted Dallas's failures at CB evaluation citing the last 8 years of drafting with only Scandrick being a viable player. They scoffed at Claibornes career except for this year saying he was would have been worth keeping the way he started the year. They said the jury is just getting started on Brown (they said BW Webb is still in the NFL somewhere). Then both Dennis and Cowlishaw began to just kind of wander through the defensive line before saying this: "Well it seems like they are not very good evaluators of the defensive line either". Cowlishaw started rationalizing that Dallas (Jerry and Jason) prefer to pour more into the offense.

Now more than ever the Garrett's need to go. This team may never get a defense until they leave.

However the TE position will be ultra-stocked because THATS a need.

They're not really wrong. Even with the need for Defense there is still the chance the Cowboys go offense with the 28th pick if OJ Howard or Ryan Ramczyk are still on the board. Or what if they feel that Joe Mixon is too much of a value to pass in the 2nd round.

Everyone knows they NEED defense but what if Howard or Ramczyk st the best players on the board. Do you take a lesser play just because they play defense? Or do you take the guy you know will be a pro bowler (except he plays offense)?

Best player available vs drafting for need

Reaction score
Nick Folk is still in the league. I didn't know. Just signed with the Bucs.

Off the top of my head I don't remember why he didn't last here. But I'll never forget the end of that Bills MNF game in 2007.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
They're not really wrong. Even with the need for Defense there is still the chance the Cowboys go offense with the 28th pick if OJ Howard or Ryan Ramczyk are still on the board. Or what if they feel that Joe Mixon is too much of a value to pass in the 2nd round.

Everyone knows they NEED defense but what if Howard or Ramczyk st the best players on the board. Do you take a lesser play just because they play defense? Or do you take the guy you know will be a pro bowler (except he plays offense)?

Best player available vs drafting for need
What you do, is trade down and pick up an extra 3rd. With as many holes as we need to fill, we need multiple solid 2nd and 3rd rd. players instead of a superstar.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
What you do, is trade down and pick up an extra 3rd. With as many holes as we need to fill, we need multiple solid 2nd and 3rd rd. players instead of a superstar.

That's always a possibility too. Personally I'm always against trading out of the 1st round. I'd rather have the more talented player than the extra 3rd.

Reaction score
My point is: other than Witten (and Witten will still get the nod for targets) where is the evidence that this WR-based pass offense has any success with any other TE they have brought in. Witten is a beast but also was very much made into a dependent part of the offense by his relationship with Romo. Garrett mainly wants blockers who give time for his downfield passes. Bennett had to block or was put on bubble screens (no thought to how to use him - in his 4 years in Dallas he averaged 20 catches and 1 TD per year. Every other of his five years with other teams he AVERAGED 60+ catches and over 5 TDs - one year had 90 catches). When Escobar was drafted Garrett said in the draft room "We Have to be careful how we use him". And they didn't use him at all. He's a more complete WR in the red zone than TWilly but they keep him on the sidelines.

A TE would be another waste. Hanna ran a 4.48/40 and doesn't get to use it when he's on the field. What would another TE do exactly. If Witten then just a OL and waste of talent because Garrett's offense is to pass to WRs.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
My point is: other than Witten (and Witten will still get the nod for targets) where is the evidence that this WR-based pass offense has any success with any other TE they have brought in. Witten is a beast but also was very much made into a dependent part of the offense by his relationship with Romo. Garrett mainly wants blockers who give time for his downfield passes. Bennett had to block or was put on bubble screens (no thought to how to use him - in his 4 years in Dallas he averaged 20 catches and 1 TD per year. Every other of his five years with other teams he AVERAGED 60+ catches and over 5 TDs - one year had 90 catches). When Escobar was drafted Garrett said in the draft room "We Have to be careful how we use him". And they didn't use him at all. He's a more complete WR in the red zone than TWilly but they keep him on the sidelines.

A TE would be another waste. Hanna ran a 4.48/40 and doesn't get to use it when he's on the field. What would another TE do exactly. If Witten then just a OL and waste of talent because Garrett's offense is to pass to WRs.

Another reason all other TE's have failed here is Witten rarely gets hurt and he refuses to come off the field. A lot of the time he will waive off his backup to stay in the game.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That's always a possibility too. Personally I'm always against trading out of the 1st round. I'd rather have the more talented player than the extra 3rd.

If you are going to trade out, this is the year. Conversely this is also the year where teams with multiple 2nd and 3rd Rd picks will rack up and not have a ton of incentive to move into the 1st.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
SI guy:

Andy Benoit
✔ ‎@Andy_Benoit

If Nolan Carroll continues the growth he’s shown in last 2 yrs, #Cowboys will have upgraded at CB and for a cheaper price.

10:05 AM - 20 Mar 2017

Andy Benoit
✔ ‎@Andy_Benoit

S Church was important cog within context of #Cowboys scheme, especially given increased emphasis on 3-safety dime (6 DB) packages.

10:14 AM - 20 Mar 2017

Andy Benoit
✔ ‎@Andy_Benoit

What helps #Cowboys incorporate new safeties is Byron Jones can play anywhere. Presents more options for putting new guys in best spots.

Andy Benoit
✔ ‎@Andy_Benoit

La’el Collins, talent-wise, is a significant upgrade over Ronald Leary.

10:50 AM - 20 Mar 2017

Andy Benoit
✔ ‎@Andy_Benoit

With La’el Collins #Cowboys may have NFL’s most physically gifted player at his position in 4 of the 5 OL spots.

10:55 AM - 20 Mar 2017

Reaction score
Steelers are signing Kniles Davis, RB from Arkansas. I always thought he'd be a good back but he has done nothing but bounce around.,

Reaction score
:lol

This fuckin team...

The free agent trophies that are lining the 2017 offseason mantle include a WR who can't really catch and a QB who can't really throw. Next we pick up a long snapper who can only manage pistol length snaps and an amputee kicker.

Top Bottom