ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
somebody wanna get north korea on the horn and ask kim for that little assassin bitch's number? i don't have time for this natural causes bullshit.
Get the two for one rate and make her bring a second set of needles for Red.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't care what pass rush they have or don't have. Have seen enough of Carr, Claiborne & Church to know they were never making any good plays for us. Allergic to the fucking football.

I have no idea who the 11-12-13 regular defenders we'll have on the field next yr are, but I am pretty sure we'll be better defensively because Carr/Claiborne & Church are finally gone.

Idiotic view because it is founded on the fact this staff knows how to evaluate the secondary. So...we kept shitty players for years, now we will just get better guys. Yep, that is full ****** logic.

Reaction score
I don't think we'll be worse. Carroll likely won't be any worse than Carr - who by all accounts was terrible 50% of the time. Claiborne was injury prone and had his best season last year, and even that was just a slightly better than average season.

I honestly think if Brown continues to develop, paired with Scandrink and hopefully a player or two in a very deep secondary draft, the back end will in fact be better. Should we be worse, however, I doubt it'll be a significant drop off.

I could be wrong. All I know is that every time a QB needed to carve this secondary up with the game on the line, 9 times out of 10 they've been able to do just that the past 4-5 years, if not longer. We've had a history of making Colt McCoys and other average journeyman look like studs. Keeping the status quo wasn't the answer.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't think we'll be worse. Carroll likely won't be any worse than Carr - who by all accounts was terrible 50% of the time. Claiborne was injury prone and had his best season last year, and even that was just a slightly better than average season.

I honestly think if Brown continues to develop, paired with Scandrink and hopefully a player or two in a very deep secondary draft, the back end will in fact be better. Should we be worse, however, I doubt it'll be a significant drop off.

I could be wrong. All I know is that every time a QB needed to carve this secondary up with the game on the line, 9 times out of 10 they've been able to do just that the past 4-5 years, if not longer. We've had a history of making Colt McCoys and other average journeyman look like studs. Keeping the status quo wasn't the answer.

It's easy for a QB to shred this defense when he has about 20 seconds to go through his reads each play. I still say if they can get a dominant pass rush their Secondary will automatically be better.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think they'll be worse, either, because none of the guys we lost were very good.

I do think there's a small risk that the guys we replace them with simply don't jell together very well. A guy like Church was a limited player, but he was a good leader and pretty smart back there. This regime starting with Steve seems enamored with its own brilliance with young players, so I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to go with Brown and Heath as starters, and they haven't played enough to know how they'd really do with a bigger role and most film on their weaknesses.

It's easy for a QB to shred this defense when he has about 20 seconds to go through his reads each play. I still say if they can get a dominant pass rush their Secondary will automatically be better.
Sure, with a great pass rush you can get by with worse players in the secondary. But how would we get a "dominant" pass rush in one offseason?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Idiotic view because it is founded on the fact this staff knows how to evaluate the secondary. So...we kept shitty players for years, now we will just get better guys. Yep, that is full ****** logic.

They kept them in part because some of the people they drafted didn't work out, not because they didn't try to upgrade them.

The drafting has been better overall the past few years and this draft seems particularly deep in secondary talent. I feel pretty good that they will add 1 or 2, maybe even 3 guys who will all be more talented than the one's we just let go. Honestly it wont be that hard because none of those 4 were good at all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
A max of 4? That sucks, did not know that. So as it stands they should have 11 picks in the 2018 draft.

Edit: that's total picks including their own

Its been that way since the inception of this

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

It'd be better, but only slightly. They simply arnt playmakers. They don't take chances and most of them cant catch a cold in Alaska. They were terrible at understanding angles.

A good pass rush might have led to more throwaways, but it wasn't going to lead to more takeaways. These guys just weren't capable.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Sure, with a great pass rush you can get by with worse players in the secondary. But how would we get a "dominant" pass rush in one offseason?

You can't in one off season. Adding Tapper and 1 maybe 2 pass rushing DE's in this draft will help though. Collins going into his second year should also help the pass rush. Overall I think their pass rush will be better which will make the secondary better. It may only be slightly better this year but by 2018 we will see a much improved secondary.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It'd be better, but only slightly. They simply arnt playmakers. They don't take chances and most of them cant catch a cold in Alaska. They were terrible at understanding angles.

A good pass rush might have led to more throwaways, but it wasn't going to lead to more takeaways. These guys just weren't capable.
Exactly. It's a little pet peeve of mine when people say a pass rush makes DBs better. I understand what they're saying, but it doesn't really make bad or average players any better, it just covers up their warts. But it's still no substitute for good players. That Denver defense even with Miller and Ware wouldn't have been the same with scrubs at corner instead of Talib and Harris.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Can't argue with you there. Brown seems like he's a little more of a ball hawk type than any of the guys we lost. He seems more willing to jump the WR's route. Now that might lead to some big plays given up but it should also lead to more int's.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

evaluate the secondary you say? judd garrett is our director of pro scouting. since 2008.

never thought about him much. wanted to research him a little bit. so naturally, the first place you go to do any meaningful research is twitter. judd garrett likes tweeting. he's slowed down considerably but i'd like to share some wisdom with you guys from our director of pro scouting.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He's almost as corny as his brother.

And that Kramer quote at the end is ironic. Sizzle is all those Garrett fucks have.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys did hire a new Director of College Scouting this year (Lionel Vital) so hopefully he has a better eye for talent.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
evaluate the secondary you say? judd garrett is our director of pro scouting. since 2008.

never thought about him much. wanted to research him a little bit. so naturally, the first place you go to do any meaningful research is twitter. judd garrett likes tweeting. he's slowed down considerably but i'd like to share some wisdom with you guys from our director of pro scouting.

Hasn't Tom Ciskowski been the Direct of Scouting since 2013?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
judd hasn't been the director of pro scouting since 2008, but he has been with us that long.

ciskowski i've seen a bunch of titles too. this is from the cowboys media guide 2016.

dcmediaguide.jpg

elton ******t, ios developer - damn what a tough life.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
wow of all the stuff that gets bleeped out??? you wanna bleep out ******t???

Top Bottom