Reaction score
http://now.msn.com/seattle-says-words-citizen-and-brown-bag-could-be-offensive
Seattle removes offensive words 'citizen,' 'brown bag' from vocabulary
1 day ago

Sorry Seattle residents, but citizens are no longer allowed to brown bag it, because city officials have decided that the words "citizen" and "brown bag" are offensive. The Office for Civil Rights has circulated a memo encouraging government employees to stop using those terms. Memo author Elliott Bronstein suggests using "residents," "sack lunch" or "lunch and learn" instead. (Because everyone will start asking co-workers "Are we hitting Subway or did you lunch and learn it today?") Bronstein says that brown bag could be misinterpreted as a reference to skin color, while citizen isn't inclusive enough. "A lot of people who live in Seattle aren't citizens but they are residents," he said. "[Citizens] doesn't include a lot of folks."

J. F. C.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I posted this story on a political news forum I am part of. MSN ripped this from FOX news. The rest of the story MSN ignored was just as bothersome.
========================================================

Seattle, however, isn't the only city with an eye on potentially disruptive words.

The New York Post reported in March 2012 that the city’s Department of Education avoids references to words like “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” “Halloween” and dozens of other topics on city-issued tests because they could evoke “unpleasant emotions” among the students.

Dinosaurs, for example, conjures the topic of evolution, which could rile fundamentalists and birthdays are not celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses. Halloween, meanwhile, suggests an affiliation to Paganism.

Officials said such exclusions are normal procedure, insisting it’s not censorship.

“This is standard language that has been used by test publishers for many years and allows our students to complete practice exams without distraction,” a Department of Education spokeswoman told the newspaper last year.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...nsive-language/?intcmp=trending#ixzz2axCOaFxy

Reaction score
Those words aren't offensive...

But the headline is misleading.

The Office for Civil Rights has circulated a memo encouraging government employees to stop using those terms.

It's a memo. Not a new law.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
This is the quote from the genius that came up with this crap.

"For a lot of particularly African-American community members, the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used, I understand, to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home," Bronstein said.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
ben-carson-speech.jpg

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I applaud Seattle's politicians for taking a stand for the hurt feelings of hypersensitive fucktards everywhere.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

"For a lot of particularly African-American community members, the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used, I understand, to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home," Bronstein said.

#Imafuckingretardloser

Reaction score

Never heard that before. Wow.

I'm off vacation tomorrow and heading back to work after a month. I'm brown bagging it.

Top Bottom