Reaction score
Rookie LB Pickup Making An ImpressionPosted by jellis at 7/27/2010 5:57 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

The Cowboys had only 79 men on the roster their first day of training camp, but picked up rookie linebacker Brandon Sharpe just in time. His first day was Sunday, when the pads came on.

Sharpe, who registed a school-best 15.0 sacks at Texas Tech last season, has turned heads with more than a few aggressive hits on the Alamodome field. The Cowboys don't tackle during practice, but Sharpe took down running back Tashard Choice on his very first snap Sunday.

"I've got to," Sharpe said. I'm not known here so I've got to come in and make an impression. I've got to watch out for my players too, not hurt anybody, but still let them know I'm here."

An outside linebacker and pass rusher for the Cowboys, Sharpe was originally picked up by New Orleans after going undrafted in April, but they cast him off five days ago. The Saints had released defensive end Bobby McCray in June, but re-signed him on July 22. As a low man on the totem pole, Sharpe was one of four cuts the day McCray was brought back.

"I didn't get a chance to put on pads there," Sharpe said. "We were just walking through stuff. I was kind of nervous, thinking too much, just trying not to hurt anybody or fall down while we were going through it. But I've got pads on now, so I can do a little more.

"I'm just going off instincts and having fun. The coaches always tell me to just play football and I'll be good."
------------------------------

Misleading thread title. There's nothing in there about him impressing coaches or anything. Just that he's tackling players when he's not supposed to.

Top Bottom