English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Per shefter

Tony Romo will be going into broadcasting
Probably the right decision for him. No more broken bones, a cushy job paying plenty of money, and more time to spend with his family. And a big FU to Jerry in killing off any (albeit slim) chance of getting a draft pick in a trade.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What's the salary cap situation as a result

Per the ESPN article sounds like they are going forward with the release:

Dallas is expected to designate Romo a post-June 1 release, softening the blow against the Cowboys' cap this season. Instead of counting $24.7 million in 2017, Romo would count $10.7 million this year and $8.9 million in 2018. The Cowboys would gain $14 million in cap space, but it would not become available until June 2. But after Tuesday, Romo will no longer be with the Cowboys.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wait and see, an hour or so from now Mike Fisher will be teasing "HOT inside news on the Romo situation, I've gotten word a decision is imminent"

Reaction score
While on the one hand I['m glad that the drama is over, and no other team gets to benefit for free from Cowboys' stupidity, I can't help but smell a Ratliff here. Could just be paranoia, but I won't be surprised if Romo un-retires in the near future.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
While on the one hand I['m glad that the drama is over, and no other team gets to benefit for free from Cowboys' stupidity, I can't help but smell a Ratliff here. Could just be paranoia, but I won't be surprised if Romo un-retires in the near future.
Wouldn't we still retain his rights in that case, like the Seahawks did with Marshawn Lynch?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldn't we still retain his rights in that case, like the Seahawks did with Marshawn Lynch?

i've been reading they're still going to move forward with a release. maybe i'm wrong or its fake news.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dallas is expected to designate Romo as a post-June 1 release, softening the blow against the Cowboys' cap this season. Instead of counting $24.7 million in 2017, Romo would count $10.7 million this year and $8.9 million in 2018. The Cowboys would gain $14 million in cap space, but it would not become available until June 2. But after Tuesday, Romo will no longer be with the Cowboys.

source: Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo leaving football for broadcast career

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Per the ESPN article sounds like they are going forward with the release:

Stupid! Make him retire so they keep his rights. They can move the cap number around as needed, its 6 one way, half a dozen another. No matter how they take the hit, its 19.6 mill against the cap.

Last edited:

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If he signs one of those tv deals it will be for big time money. I doubt they would be ok just to let him out of that contract to go play again.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm seeing reports saying that Romo's broadcasting contract will allow him to come out of retirement as a 'gun for hire' if the right opportunity came along. Could just be media bullshit though.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Enjoy Tom Savage for an entire year you cheap fucks in Houston.

Top Bottom