Reaction score
Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point
Posted by Josh Alper on January 20, 2014, 6:09 PM EST

Patriots coach Bill Belichick lobbied the league Monday to discipline Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker for hitting and injuring Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib during a play in the AFC Championship Game.

If the league decides to punish Welker, it wouldn’t be the first time that one of the coach’s suggestions worked its way up the ladder in the league. Earlier this month, Belichick said he thought extra points were boring because of how automatic they’ve become and there’s enough agreement with him that the league will explore dropping extra points this offseason.

That was the word from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who told Rich Eisen of NFL Network that the league is examining proposals for abolishing the extra point for pretty much the reason that Belichick cited. Goodell outlined one of the proposed changes.

“The extra point is almost automatic,” Goodell said. “I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (1,256-for-1,261, to be precise). So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play. There’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about. It’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six.”

That would certainly eliminate the boredom of an extra point try without fundamentally changing too much about the decision that coaches already make about when to try for a two-point conversion. There will certainly be some pushback to altering a play that’s always been part of the game, but anything that would speed up the process of getting back to actual football is worth considering.

Reaction score
Or you can even go ahead an just dothat. It's just sports whatevs

How wide do you think the goal posts are? The answe is in white below this sentence

Reaction score
XP is fkn stupid think about it. An automatic point that takes so much time and is pointless and features no star players ? We can do better than that shit

Reaction score
XP is fkn stupid think about it. An automatic point that takes so much time and is pointless and features no star players ? We can do better than that shit
Yeah, so much time that the clock doesn't even start.

Your point about star players is useless... if there were star players out there people would bitch about that too.

Reaction score
Yeah, so much time that the clock doesn't even start.

Your point about star players is useless... if there were star players out there people would bitch about that too.

When I'm behind on the dvr , I can press the 5-minute fast forward button immediately after a touchdown is scored and be brought right to the next offensive series starting at the 20.

Take goodell out of it. Would you rather have a pointless XP, or an offensive play. Plus it severely would cut back on overtimes if you have people scoring 6's and 8's instead of always 7.

Reaction score
Or RIGHT as you score your td, your conversion attempt play now begins, only it can only be scored at the other goal line. And you gotta go for that on the fly. Think of the chaos

Reaction score
If Dallas hadn't scored a TD against Minny, the extra point they missed right before that would have been huge....Not to mention Buehler's missed XP costing Dallas the Arizona game in I think 2010 and the guy from the Jags going shankapotamus and costing them a trip to the playoffs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Basically its like this-

If Goodell thinks of it or suggests, 99.9% chance its fucking retarded

Just like this.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Goodell, lets change TDs to where they are now worth 10 pts. Makes it easier to add up the score.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

That's not the point. In fact you are probably in the minority on this. Games are often won or lost on that single point. The thing is... what is there to be gained from getting rid of it, because this asshole has a burr up his ass, and just want to fuck with shit?

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
“I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (1,256-for-1,261, to be precise). So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play.

That's still 5 missed so every point isn't automatic. How many times has everyone said "They still have to make the extra point"? Or "That missed extra point may come back to haunt them"? A lot. They aren't guaranteed, dipshit.

There’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about. It’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six.”

What do you mean that you've heard about? Stupid. That is the dumbest fucking idea I've ever heard. It sounds like your making it into a kids game.

Top Bottom