jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Hoof, I agree with what you say for the most part. It is kinda like gays getting hitched . It is legal, but it is wrong. In Cooper's case, he may be racist and meant the comments. I wouldn't have said it, but maybe he thought it was okay by his standards. White people seems to be the only race of people that feels guilty for being racist. Why is that? I am not anti-black, I am pro- white. That is not racist. I don't believe that it is anybody's business what Cooper thinks of black people or chooses to call them. The people that he directed the comments are the only one that should have a problem. This is another case of people needing to mind their own business. If you don't like the word, don't say it. It is his right to say what he wants.

Reaction score
Now things are starting to make sense.

NoDak was involved though.

Still, you're arguing the same point. It's just words. You shoulda just got over Ben's comments.
Apples to oranges again, but that's how you guys do business I guess.

Ben's remarks were well thought-out and calculated to elicit the maximum response, and I (you're right), fell right into the trap.

Cooper's remark was more a slip of the tongue that was said in the heat of the moment when he was extremely pissed about something that was happening to him at that time.

The fact you compare these two things shows you have nothing.

As for telling me I shouldn't be offended by what Rangel said, I was implying that you shouldn't need to tell someone to do that if they can put things in perspective, which I can... for the most part. Sad that I had to explain that to you and all, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Reaction score

Ben's remarks were well thought-out and calculated to elicit the maximum response, and I (you're right), fell right into the trap.

Cooper's remark was more a slip of the tongue that was said in the heat of the moment when he was extremely pissed about something that was happening to him at that time.

As for telling me I shouldn't be offended by what Rangel said, I was implying that you shouldn't need to tell someone to do that if they can put things in perspective, which I can... for the most part. Sad that I had to explain that to you and all, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

But you're well thoughting out defending his use of the word ?

Reaction score
What was coopers intent when saying the word?
Well I can most certainly tell you it wasn't to incite the ire of the majority of a race who now wants him to pay with his job. Do you think he should be kicked off the team? Out of the league? There are actually morons, (many of whom more than likely use that same word on a daily basis) who want him gone just for saying that word.

Ben's intent was exactly the opposite.

I don't think Charles Rangel should lose his job for calling some white people crackers, either. I think he's an idiot, but then again I thought he was an idiot before he said it.

Reaction score
I guess if you can't refute a point, you just claim it's apples to oranges, or it's a poor analogy (NoDak). Makes for an easy dismissal, but it's just intellectual laziness. News flash for you two... a comparison or an analogy isn't always going to be an exact duplicate of the situation. That's why it's called a comparison.

The intent of the speaker really has nothing to do with this comparison. That's not what this back and forth you and I are having is about. It's about the reaction from the person that it's said to, or the reaction of people who take offense to the comment.

You have nothing. Apples to oranges. blah blah blah. More laziness.

I didn't tell you that you shouldn't be offended. I don't really care if Rangel offended you. My whole point in this thread has been to let people get offended if they want to. I'm not going to tell people when they should or shouldn't be offended. What business is it of mine what people choose to do with racially charged words that someone else speaks?

Reaction score
Well I can most certainly tell you it wasn't to incite the ire of the majority of a race who now wants him to pay with his job.Do you think he should be kicked off the team? Out of the league? There are actually morons, (many of whom more than likely use that same word on a daily basis) who want him gone just for saying that word.
How can you say with *certainty* anything regarding another person's intent... and someone you have likely never met and which you saw a 5 second video clip of, at that?

Ben's intent was exactly the opposite.
What does it matter what the intent of the speaker is? If the person who heard the slight was offended, does it make it better that the speaker didn't mean to offend? If Ben had said, "no offense" before he said what he did, I still suspect you would have taken offense.

Reaction score
Wow.. a lawyer who wants to know what does the intent matter... that's how most lawyers work the system with their clients, isn't it?

I do know one thing though, and I may be fighting a losing battle doing it, but when you don't call something exactly what it is, you are exacerbating the problem.

It's obvious that nothing is going to change pep's mind... I'm not going to, that's for sure. So I'm going to step out of this.

Reaction score
Wow.. a lawyer who wants to know what does the intent matter... that's how most lawyers work the system with their clients, isn't it?
LOL

I swear, I've never seen so many people in one place make a comment on what I do for a living. It's pretty creepy TBH. It's like I can't disagree with one of you DCCers without you losing your minds and going all Tourette's.... blibbity blah LAWYER!!

But you still don't know what the hell you're talking about. Intent is how most lawyers work the system? What does that even mean? Intent is oftentimes an element in criminal cases, but it's not always. And this isn't a criminal case AT ALL.

I do know one thing though, and I may be fighting a losing battle doing it, but when you don't call something exactly what it is, you are exacerbating the problem.
How am I the one not calling something what it is? I'm one of the few in this thread who isn't trying to sweep this under the rug, give Cooper a pass, and disparage anyone who is offended by the comment.

It's obvious that nothing is going to change pep's mind... I'm not going to, that's for sure. So I'm going to step out of this.
You might be able to change my mind if I could tell what the fuck you were arguing. You're debating points that I haven't made, throwing shit against the wall hoping it sticks when it has nothing to do with the point, arguing against yourself, and going tourette's on us.

Hoof sits down and types a thousand word post that obliterates your position -- or what seems to be your position most of the time -- and you come back with "good post" and no other response. Hoof said (albeit much more thoroughly) what I've been saying all along in here. You basically waved the white flag on that one.... Guess I'll just consider this "stepping out" the same thing.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Counselor. What do you think should happen to Riley Cooper?

Should his career be marred by this? Should he lose the ability to pursue a living as an NFL football player?

Reaction score
We actually have people asking why it's okay for blacks to say it but not whites but I just don't even see why that matters. It's not okay for whites to say it but why does it matter? Would you like to be able to use that word without having to worry about being viewed as a racist? I don't get where that argument is going. I can talk all the shit I want about my family but that doesn't mean I'm going to idly sit by and let some stranger say the exact same stuff. It's not okay for whites to say it, everyone knows why, and the discussion in general can proceed just as soon as people accept that.

It’s called hypocrisy. It’s like calling your wife a bitch to your friends everyday and then getting mad when they start to referring to her as ”the bitch”. It’s the do as i say not as i do thing. The word should not be used by ANYONE.

What Cooper did was bad but i don’t think he deserves to never play in the NFL. That’s insane. Racism is much more than one word or two words. It’s much more deeper than that. Someone that is obsessed with putting down other races. I know last year i couldn’t make a single post without posters reminding me that i was Mexican (hispanic). Saying they wished every Mexican was dead. Shit like that reeks of racism. I can take it to some degree but it has it’s limit. It looks like the forum has grown up a little more.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I know last year i couldn’t make a single post without posters reminding me that i was Mexican (hispanic). Saying they wished every Mexican was dead. Shit like that reeks of racism. I can take it to some degree but it has it’s limit. It looks like the forum has grown up a little more.

Sorry to hear that. Glad you're still here.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
It’s called hypocrisy. It’s like calling your wife a bitch to your friends everyday and then getting mad when they start to referring to her as ”the bitch”. It’s the do as i say not as i do thing. The word should not be used by ANYONE.

What Cooper did was bad but i don’t think he deserves to never play in the NFL. That’s insane. Racism is much more than one word or two words. It’s much more deeper than that. Someone that is obsessed with putting down other races. I know last year i couldn’t make a single post without posters reminding me that i was Mexican (hispanic). Saying they wished every Mexican was dead. Shit like that reeks of racism. I can take it to some degree but it has it’s limit. It looks like the forum has grown up a little more.
You're Mexican? Congrats. I don't know any Mexicans, but I seen a couple at Walmart.

Top Bottom