Reaction score
Oakland Raiders Sign Cornerback Stanford Routt to $31 Million Dollar Deal; Is Nnamdi Asomugha On His Way Out?

Posted by bryn.swartz February 24, 2011

The Oakland Raiders announced that they have signed cornerback Stanford Routt to a three-year, $31 million dollar deal.

Who is Routt, you may ask?
Well he’s only one of the best cornerbacks in the National Football League.

In 2010, he allowed a 69.0 passer rating, a top ten mark among all cornerbacks in the league. He allowed just 38 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed, the second best mark in the league, behind Darrelle Revis.

He intercepted two passes and returned one for a touchdown. He also filled in admirably as the Raiders’ number one cornerback for a couple of games while Nnamdi Asomugha was injured.

So does the signing of 27-year old Stanford Routt, plus the signing of defensive tackle Richard Seymour to a huge deal, mean that prized free agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is on his way out?

Absolutely.

It’s not a guarantee, but I would be very surprised if the Oakland Raiders could afford to keep Nnamdi Asomugha.

Routt is making twenty million dollars next season. Seymour is making even more.

Linebacker Kamerion Wimbley was given the franchise tag, meaning he’ll earn ten million next season.

Asomugha, who will probably be the most coveted free agent in all of the NFL this offseason, will likely walk.

And don’t hold your breath, Eagles fans, but NFL expert Adam Schefter predicts that Asomugha will sign with a team on the East Coast.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'd say he's more than likely gone from Oakland. It's just a question of which team will waste the money to bring him in and not impact winning games for them.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
One thing this signing did was set the market for FA CB's. I can only imagine what Asomugha's agent will be asking for after this deal.

sbk92

Reaction score
One thing this signing did was set the market for FA CB's. I can only imagine what Asomugha's agent will be asking for after this deal.

A mega deal.

Just a horrible contract to carry.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
A mega deal.

Just a horrible contract to carry.

Someone will overpay. Give me 2-3 key FA's for the price of what he will cost. You will be making a sacrifice somewhere on your roster if you throw the bank at one man.

Reaction score
Wow. I've literally never even heard of the kid before.

Of course, the last time I watched an Oakland game was when they played Dallas.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Wow. I've literally never even heard of the kid before.

Of course, the last time I watched an Oakland game was when they played Dallas.

He's probably the most unexciting corner you ever saw.

Doesn't get a lot of picks,return Tds,hardly any passes defensed.

Played free safety at Cal,Raiders took him with their 1st rounder(31st) in '03 and converted him to corner.

Nobody throws at him,or rarely I should say.

C

Cr122

✮RIDE✮OR✮DIE✮;47443 said:
I never heard of him. Dan Snyder will offer Asomugha something astronomical.

Of course he will.

Top Bottom