C

Cr122

OCT 23 9:47 PM CT
By Tim MacMahon

ARLINGTON, Texas -- It was DeMarco Murray's day.

All the talk will deservedly be about Murray breaking Emmitt Smith's franchise record with 253 rushing yards on 25 carries, including a 91-yard touchdown.

But Murray wasn't the only impressive rookie running back with a star on his helmet Sunday. Phillip Tanner, the undrafted kid from Dallas' Kimball High, looked like he belonged in his first regular-season action at running back.

Tanner carried six times for 34 yards and a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

"Oh, man, it was lovely," said Tanner, who earned a roster spot by starring in the preseason. "First of all, I just want to give thanks to the offensive line and Romo and all the guys. When I walk in the huddle, they don’t look at me like, 'Oh, who the hell is this rookie?'"

With Tashard Choice in the doghouse due to his second fumble in two weeks, Tanner took advantage of the opportunity. He had a nifty 17-yard run on his second carry and capped that drive with a 6-yard score.

"Just go in and just take what the defense gives you," Tanner said, describing an aw-shucks approach.

That's not entirely true. For example, on the touchdown run, the Rams defense gave Tanner a 2-yard run. He ran over linebacker Chris Chamberlain and dragged him the final 4 yards.

"That’s just getting all the meat off the bone," Tanner said, "like Coach Garrett teaches all the time."

C

Cr122

I would have no problem with Murray and Tanner as our backs. Choice needs to go next year, and as far as Felix he just can't stay healthy.

Reaction score
Tanner needs to be our short yardage power back. The guy does not go down, and even when he does, he's falling forward.

He runs violent. Similar to how Marion Barber did in 2007.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He looks like he is shot out of a slingshot. Those were some powerful runs to get into the end zone.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Very impressive effort by Tanner.

Love our RB situation. Would love it even more if they'd do the right thing and cut Choice.

Reaction score
If we had another RB it would be real easy to cut Choice...not sure what Lonya Miller's deal is...I don't see him on the practice squad. I do see 3 WRs and a S that is being converted to WR.

Idgit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You don't hear NFL players using the world 'lovely' enough these days.

"Superb" is another one that doesn't get enough attention. And, on the negative side, 'mullarky,' 'shenannigans' or 'tom-foolery.'

Reaction score
If we had another RB it would be real easy to cut Choice...not sure what Lonya Miller's deal is...I don't see him on the practice squad. I do see 3 WRs and a S that is being converted to WR.

You're right. Miller isn't there. I thought he was.

I say we cut Choice regardless of if we have another RB. I mean, we have Murray and Tanner. If push comes to shove, give the FB carries. It's not like we run the ball that much anyway. Or we could sign a runningback to replace #23.

A message needs to be sent to the team, via Choice.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

You could replace Choice with any street free agent and get the same production, and definitely get better effort.

He isnt needed.

Reaction score
You're right. Miller isn't there. I thought he was.

I say we cut Choice regardless of if we have another RB. I mean, we have Murray and Tanner. If push comes to shove, give the FB carries. It's not like we run the ball that much anyway. Or we could sign a runningback to replace #23.

A message needs to be sent to the team, via Choice.
He does do a good job out of the shotgun in protection...just don't want to leave us shorthanded...particularly with Murray being a little brittle from timt to time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He does do a good job out of the shotgun in protection...just don't want to leave us shorthanded...particularly with Murray being a little brittle from timt to time.

Choice? He's awful at protections. He goes the wrong way constantly and leaves free rushers.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I'd expect us to keep Choice for the rest of the year, if only for insurance. Felix has proven he gets nicked regularly, and Murray has that rap, too.

I'd keep him inactive on game days and he'd never see another carry if health allows it, though.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Choice? He's awful at protections. He goes the wrong way constantly and leaves free rushers.

Really? So Garrett must be a idiot to keep putting him out there in passing situations right?

I want Choice gone as much as anybody to send a message but he is needed because he is the best protection back we have with Felix out for a couple of weeks, he has played the position for the last 3 years.

Reaction score
Really? So Garrett must be a idiot to keep putting him out there in passing situations right?

I want Choice gone as much as anybody to send a message but he is needed because he is the best protection back we have with Felix out for a couple of weeks, he has played the position for the last 3 years.
Exactly...Garrett puts him out there in every passing situation for pass protection, but now people are coming up with fictional flaws to get him off the roster. I want him gone too, but I want more that just 2 backs on the roster.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In spite of Romo's boneheaded decision-making and Garrett in one game, if our running game was as half as good as what we saw yesterday, we would be undefeated.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Its one of the reasons they cited for why he didnt play more the past few seasons.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly...Garrett puts him out there in every passing situation for pass protection, but now people are coming up with fictional flaws to get him off the roster. I want him gone too, but I want more that just 2 backs on the roster.

No, he doesnt.

Jones was getting plenty of 3rd down reps as well.

And as I emtnioned in another post, they've said several times in the past that this is why Choice didnt get more PT, because he wasnt very good at blitz pickup.

Idgit

Practice Squad
Reaction score

I've just about had it with this mullarky. Let's just move on, already.

Top Bottom