dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Former Dallas Cowboys head coach and Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee Bill Parcells recently joined The Herd with Colin Cowherd to talk about the Dallas Cowboys and the NFL playoffs. Here are some highlights:

What do you make of Dak Prescott? How much is Zeke, how much is the O-line, how much is Dak?

Parcells: I think he's tremendous. He's got tremendous poise. He's highly competitive ... There's just something about certain players, and quarterbacks in particular, that they just win games.

And he doesn't have the biggest arm I've ever seen, but he's an athletic guy. He can extend plays, he's an accurate passer, and he's a tremendous short passer and a good intermediate passer. I think he's terrific, I really do. I think they've got something there with what they've got, and the talent that they've got, they've got something that should serve them well for quite a while.

Would you put any thought into trying to keep Tony Romo as a backup?

Parcells: I think it'll be a consideration, for sure. Now, I think that really comes down to Tony, himself ... If I were Jerry Jones, I would at least make an effort to keep Tony.

And you know Dallas is Tony's home. He made his name there. He'll probably reside there. But the only thing about some of these guys is they want to play, and he's not going to play there in Dallas now unless something happens. So, that would be the overriding factor is just what Tony wants to do.

On if Romo thinks he still has years left to be a starter...

Parcells: I'm sure I'll speak to him in a short period of time, see what he's thinking about. You know, it's hard to eliminate that drive and that competitiveness. And football players, when it's football season they want to play football, and I'm pretty sure that's what he would like to do.

Now, sometimes that's not always in your own best self interests. You know, at 36-37, been hurt quite a bit, sometimes that's a tough thing to do.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dont know what sucked more, Jimmy leaving when he did, or Parcels when he did. Think you'd be looking at two more Lombardi's either way. Love Parcels.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dont know what sucked more, Jimmy leaving when he did, or Parcels when he did. Think you'd be looking at two more Lombardi's either way. Love Parcels.

Parcells with the Giants was awesome as a HC. Parcells as HC here, no.

We'd have never sniffed a championship with him. Dude gets all sorts of credit for what he did to turn around the scouting and draft operation, but I thought he was 100% burned out on coaching after that 2nd yr.

If Jimmy had been able to stay, we'd have won many more championships, am 100% convinced of it.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Not this shit again. Bottom line, as brutal as the last 20 years has been, it would have been far worse if Parcels had not restored some order 15 years ago. He made the playoffs and went 10-6 with Quincy Carter as QB. How many other coaches you think could do that? You could probably count em on one hand. Maybe his greatest coaching job ever, and no amount of blather will convince me otherwise since my head isnt up my ass.

Reaction score

We'd have never sniffed a championship with him. Dude gets all sorts of credit for what he did to turn around the scouting and draft operation, but I thought he was 100% burned out on coaching after that 2nd yr.

If Jimmy had been able to stay, we'd have won many more championships, am 100% convinced of it.

Okay but you couldn't outthink or outsmart Parcells. All the little tactics that Green Bay used to gain little advantages that Garrett would just "learn a lot from" would not be an issue. Parcells sniffed out the Andy Reid tactics that the Eagles regularly pulled on Dallas and prevented them. In this playoff game, Dallas just needed its head coach to protect its team from getting atomic wedgies from a Packer team who were going to pull anything and everything for an advantage. We had a coach whose tremendous hindsight prevents him from any foresight.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Okay but you couldn't outthink or outsmart Parcells. All the little tactics that Green Bay used to gain little advantages that Garrett would just "learn a lot from" would not be an issue. Parcells sniffed out the Andy Reid tactics that the Eagles regularly pulled on Dallas and prevented them. In this playoff game, Dallas just needed its head coach to protect its team from getting atomic wedgies from a Packer team who were going to pull anything and everything for an advantage. We had a coach whose tremendous hindsight prevents him from any foresight.

Your post is a very depressing reminder of what we have in the clapping red clown. I'd rather have Campo.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not this shit again. Bottom line, as brutal as the last 20 years has been, it would have been far worse if Parcels had not restored some order 15 years ago. He made the playoffs and went 10-6 with Quincy Carter as QB. How many other coaches you think could do that? You could probably count em on one hand. Maybe his greatest coaching job ever, and no amount of blather will convince me otherwise since my head isnt up my ass.

F L U K E dude. F L U K E. They went 10-6 against arguably the easiest schedule in football. The only couple of decent teams they played late in the season (and then playoff game) hammered us. It was an accomplishment considering how bad the previous three years were, but Parcells managed to get to two playoff games in four years and lost both. The Seattle loss may have been the worst game plan in the history of postseason football.

I give him all sorts of credit for what he did to change the culture and help reorganize and develop the scouting system again, but as a coach he was mediocre here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

He did that to himself. Putting a 6th grade offensive game plan into the Seattle game with a secondary full of street free agents to try and stop a probowl QB, two 1000+ yd WR's and an all pro TE. It was awful.

People practice some serious revisionist history when it comes to Parcells here.

Again, Parcells that took over and ran the front office= great. Parcells the coach here= mediocre.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Agreed. Parcels gets all this credit and is called a one the great coaches in Dallas but really he was average at best as a coach. Now getting to the playoffs with Quincy was a great job but overall he was meh.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
dbair, aren't you tired of running with the same arguments against Parcells' tenure here that you've been using for a over a decade now?

I swear it takes me back to the Zone when you were allowed to post the jacking off emoticon there (and when they were referred to emoticons as opposed to emojis); whenever his name is brought up.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
dbair is right. Parcells even said so himself a while back. He was going through a horrible divorce and needed cash. Jerry threw money at him. His heart just wasn't into coaching as you saw that after he left he went to Miami's front office where he wanted to be. Our O line being the piece of shit it was, was because of him. He didn't find Romo. He didn't want to draft Ware. We lucked into Witten. TO pissed him off, but was out best receivers since all he brought in here was old broken players he trusted. So they could get paid their last contract. It was like his good bye coaching tour where all his greatest hits got paid. We needed his name to get that stadium built so Jerry went and got him. He used us to pay off his divorce and then moved on. There really is no mystery here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
dbair, aren't you tired of running with the same arguments against Parcells' tenure here that you've been using for a over a decade now?

I swear it takes me back to the Zone when you were allowed to post the jacking off emoticon there (and when they were referred to emoticons as opposed to emojis); whenever his name is brought up.

It doesn't make it any less true.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
dbair is right. Parcells even said so himself a while back. He was going through a horrible divorce and needed cash. Jerry threw money at him. His heart just wasn't into coaching as you saw that after he left he went to Miami's front office where he wanted to be. Our O line being the piece of shit it was, was because of him. He didn't find Romo. He didn't want to draft Ware. We lucked into Witten. TO pissed him off, but was out best receivers since all he brought in here was old broken players he trusted. So they could get paid their last contract. It was like his good bye coaching tour where all his greatest hits got paid. We needed his name to get that stadium built so Jerry went and got him. He used us to pay off his divorce and then moved on. There really is no mystery here.

100% accurate

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I'd agree Parcells, while here, may not have been the coach he was with the Giants. However he was far and away the best coach here since Jimmy.

I'm pretty sure he could roll off the couch tomorrow and coach a better game than Garrett.

Call it a fluke all you want, winning 10 games with Quincy and Hambrick is impressive

However his biggest influence was the front office. Apparently he had a huge influence on Stephen.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
"I'm sensing some agendas around these here parts"

:blowhard

Last edited:
Top Bottom