C

Cr122

By Tom Orsborn - Express-News

Web Posted: 07/27/2010 12:00 CDT

Coach Wade Phillips said fourth-round safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah is probably a week away from practicing.

Owusu-Ansah was held out of offseason workouts because of shoulder surgery, but Phillips said it is a slight hamstring pull that has prevented the former Indiana (Pa.) standout from working out at training camp.

“We want to make sure he's OK conditioning- and strength-wise,” Phillips said. “It's not as much his shoulder as it is a slight pull he suffered during the last workout the rookies had before camp. We're being cautious there.”

Tight end talk: Second-year tight end John Phillips is making the most of the extra reps he's received during Martellus Bennett's absence.

With Bennett sidelined with an ankle injury, Phillips has been in on more pass plays.

“He did good today,” Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten said. “He ran some of the plays that he really hasn't been used to running. I think it was probably one of the best practices I've seen from him in two years.”

Phillips showed flashes late last season of developing into a complete tight end. With Bennett sidelined with a concussion, he caught three passes for 40 yards in the 24-17 win at New Orleans.

“He's one of those crafty guys in that he finds a way to get it done,” Witten said. “He works his tail off. Whatever you ask him to do, he does it pretty good. I've been impressed by him.”

Bennett is expected back soon after he did a lot of running Monday, Wade Phillips said.

Quick hits: The club has decided against rushing rookie nose tackle Josh Brent (broken hand) back to practice. “We want to make sure it's not swollen before we put a cast on it,” Phillips said. ... UTSA football coach Larry Coker and several of his assistants attended practice. ... Former NFL safety Rodney Harrison was another notable person in attendance.

Top Bottom