dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And that explains nothing except teams pass more, which is natural since most college programs run spread offenses.

It doesn't mean the run game is dead and worthless, like people suggest when they say "it's a passing league herp derp!".

Bad teams have out of whack ratios. Detroit is a classic example from last year and well, us.

Teams started throwing more well before the advent of "spread offenses"

College teams running these "spread" offenses is still relatively new. Its a trend that began in the last half dozen yrs or so. The NFL switched to a pass heavy play % well in advance of that.

And if your argument was correct, that running the football was just as, if not more successful today, why is it that passing play % is so much higher and has been for so long? If its easier to line up and run the football and have success moving the ball and scoring tds, then every coach would do it because the chances of a bad running play are far less than having a "bad" result trying to throw the ball.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The rushing output in 2012 was one of the best in league history, ranking behind 2011.

RankYearAttYardsYPA

But hey, it's like a passing league!

This is fine, but why not post the number of passing yds and passing attempts against this?

I think what you would find is the % of plays that are passes vs runs is considerably higher, and the % of yds gained is higher for passing vs rushing than it was back in the 60's, 70's and maybe early 80's.

All this shows is total yds rushing and yds per attempt, which we know is somewhat skewed in recent years by the number of "running" QB's in the league now.

I also haven't looked at it, but am relatively sure that the % of tds scored passing v rushing is higher now than it was 20-30-40 years ago.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
And if your argument was correct, that running the football was just as, if not more successful today, why is it that passing play % is so much higher and has been for so long? If its easier to line up and run the football and have success moving the ball and scoring tds, then every coach would do it because the chances of a bad running play are far less than having a "bad" result trying to throw the ball.

I never said the passing percentage was higher and the discussion isn't about volume, but effectiveness.

The plain and simple fact is that it is not as simple as blurting out "it's a passing league!" like some idiotic Tourette's victim to try to pawn off poor offensive efficiency. The running game is not some worthless accessory that can be ignored. It is vital. Even so-called "passing teams" like New England ran the ball effectively. Bad teams, like Detroit and Dallas, allowed the ratio to get too out of balance.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
how many games will we win?

7 to 9. We are the same mediocre team we have been. If we stay healthy and if Romo is more magician than disaster then 9 wins and a quick exit from the playoffs is possible.

Football is still football. We have to be able to grind out tough yards when needed and we still have crap at guard. We still have to stop the big play at the end of games and we still have question marks at Safety. The defensive line has to win a few short yardage plays and we still believe in the smaller is better philosophy for defensive linemen. We're good enough so that homers and Jerry will think we are only minor tweaks away from winning. We just have a flawed architect.

The truth is they are some what right. The "minor tweaks" just happen to be the same blind spots this team has had for years.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I never said the passing percentage was higher and the discussion isn't about volume, but effectiveness.

The plain and simple fact is that it is not as simple as blurting out "it's a passing league!" like some idiotic Tourette's victim to try to pawn off poor offensive efficiency. The running game is not some worthless accessory that can be ignored. It is vital. Even so-called "passing teams" like New England ran the ball effectively. Bad teams, like Detroit and Dallas, allowed the ratio to get too out of balance.

So basically Booze you are trying to tell me that if we have an election where every vote counts the same, and 56% of people vote for me vs 44 % for you, that I really didn't win the election.

The fact is there are a considerably higher % of plays that are pass vs run. I strongly suspect the % of yds gained passing vs % of yds gained rushing is at least the same, if not even more skewed towards the pass. Hence, its a passing league now. I'm not the only one who has said it either. people who get paid lots of money to evaluate the game say the same thing every week on TV or via sports columns for all to see.

Reaction score
I definitely think we can win 9...possibly 10. Our division sucks and we have a winnable out of division schedule.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So basically Booze you are trying to tell me that if we have an election where every vote counts the same, and 56% of people vote for me vs 44 % for you, that I really didn't win the election.

What kind of logic is that? Are you 15?

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

No, I am basically saying you are a frigging idiot arguing something that isn't even the point of the discussion.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Had no idea Len Pasquerelli was still alive.

He's had all sorts of major health issues over the years. At one time he was definitely one of the best "insiders" writing.

Judging from the quality content of this column, he should move on to retirement.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What kind of logic is that? Are you 15?

Tried to put it into terms that a ****** like yourself should be able to understand, since apparently "passing more= passing league" didn't seem to make since to you are your fellow idiots.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Tried to put it into terms that a ****** like yourself should be able to understand, since apparently "passing more= passing league" didn't seem to make since to you are your fellow idiots.

:lol Yep, didn't make "since".

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Booze- "I got proved wrong so I'll just start being a dick!!!!!"

Yeah, you so thoroughly schooled me.

You: It's a passing league herp derp

Me: Teams may pass more, but teams also have never run the ball better.

You: Teams pass more.

Me: Um, yeah, I know but that's not the point.

Me: STFU moron.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, you so thoroughly schooled me.

You: It's a passing league herp derp

Me: Teams may pass more, but teams also have never run the ball better.

Me: Um, yeah, I know but that's not the point.

Me: STFU moron.

And again ******, if they were running it "better" why would they not run it "more? What you showed as "proof" for your argument was total yds rushing and yds per attempt, but didn't compare it to the same numbers for passing. The % of total yds gained league-wide rushing is DOWN. The % of rush attempts of all play calls is DOWN. Total yds averaged per team is WAY up.

Its a passing league. Teams pass more than they run.

I don't know how you cant understand this. I made a comment that having a smaller defensive front might not be as big a deal today as compared to sometime in the past, because the league as a whole passes more. Even the running game itself is different today because of how teams are doing it from a scheme standpoint.

Top Bottom