dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Lets start with the big change, Garrett and most of this coaching staff being shown the door, and Jon Gruden being brought in to replace him. Gruden might retain 2 or 3 of Garrett's current assistants (Callahan would be a lock, RB coach Skip Peete probably a lock too, worked with Gruden in Oakland for his entire stay, WR coach Jimmy Robinson also might stay, has WC offense experience and has done a nice job with Bryant and Harris)

Gruden will junk the 3-4 and hire a 4-3 defensive coordinator. I dont know who it might be, but one name to think about might be now suspended DC Gregg Williams, who was just told by Fisher in St Louis he wont be brought back. He's an aggressive coach and his blitzing style would be a good fit as we have CB's who can play aggressive press man coverage. We will also have two new starting safeties.

In terms of our own free agents, the only guys I'd attempt to resign would be the veteran backup safeties Peprah and Frampton (both on 1yr vet minimum wage deals) and long snapper LP LaDouceur. Had we stayed with the 3-4, franchsing or signing OLB Anthony Spencer would have been a must do, but we save approximtely 10.5mils (franchise tag) by changing schemes, and that money can now be used elsewhere. Costa, McCray and Shaeffering are all RFA's, I tender Costa and McCray the minimum required offers to retain them as well. Costa gets another chance to compete at C, and McCray gets a chance to show he can be a corp special teamer/compete for a roster spot.

Several veterans under contract would be jettisoned. Ratliff and Free would be designated as post June 1 cuts. I would call around and see what trade value Miles Austin has. If a 3rd rd pick (or ideally a 2nd) can be obtained, I trade him on or before draft weekend in April. Otherwise he probably gets a restructured contract. If he could stay healthy, he could potentially be a great fit for Gruden's passing game. But thats a big if. I think Livings and Bernadaeu get to stay and compete for their jobs in training camp. If Livings is beat out he is probably cut. Bernadeau might have a little more value as a backup, as he can possibly backup at C & G and doesnt have much of a cap charge. The other surprise cut will be SS Gerald Sensabaugh, who's play doesnt equal his pay.

We probably wont be big spenders in free agency, but I think they'll add maybe one guy on offense and defense. The free agent crop at G/C isnt very good, but there are a number of tackles they could sign. How aggressive they got with it might depend on their belief (or lack of) in Jeremy Parnell. If Gruden and Callahan truly like him as a starting RT, maybe they can avoid this. Otherwise maybe they add someone like a Sebastian Vollmer or Branden Albert. Defensively, I think they will target a proven starting safety. Jairus Byrd would be a potential ideal FS, or maybe they could pursue Louis Delmas, who's young and would add a real physical presence to the backend of the defense. He's an injury risk though. I think they'd add the other starting safety via the draft.

If Chance Warmack is available at 18, we take him. Otherwise we trade down into the late 20's and take his teammate Barrett Jones and fix the C positon for a decade. By moving down 10-12 spots, we pick up an additional 2nd rd pick as well. One of the 2nd rd picks will be a starting safety, the other will be our QB of the future. If they dont draft Warmack in first, either our 3rd or 4th rd pick will be another interior OL prospect (I like Alvin Bailey from Arkansas) and the other will be a DL, most likely a DE with pass rushing skill. We'll add another CB and maybe another DL with our other picks.

On defense, my thought is Ware at RDE, they tell Crawford to drop a few lbs and out him at LDE. Hatcher and Lissemore would line up inside at DT. Carter at WOLB and Lee at MLB are locks and sure to be major playmakers, the SOLB would be Albright or potentially some middle-to late rd pick, or cheap free agent. We'd have Claiborne and Carr as CB, a free agent and rookie at safety and either Scandrick or draft pick at nickel DB. Maybe Matt Johnson has a significant role next year as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good write up. I thought about starting a thread like this as well, but was going to wait until tomorrow when I had more time.

I was also going to suggest a return to the 4-3. While we have a glaring need at DL, I actually think a move to the 4-3 lessens the need for us significantly. I just feel like our Dlineman are more suited for a 4-3. Hatcher can be used at DT. Ware at DE.

Linebackers have Albright, Sims, and Carter on the outside, with Lee inside. Need to add a few bodies there, although it feels like I'm forgetting a few names.

I'd use the draft to turn a major weakness into a strength. See my sig for an example. Imagine our line with Tyron Smith (a year at LT under his belt), Chance Warmack beside him, and then Travis Frederick in the middle. That's a big left side that could be together for 10 years. Frederick also has experience playing guard, so we could also have him and Bernadeau battle it out for the C position, loser take RG.

In any event, the offensive line went from being a crippling weakness to a potential strength. Offense eats clock, sustains drives. Romo has clean pockets to step into. Defense gets rests. Murray gets running lanes. We're not longer having to spread defenses out on first and goal from the 5 because we get no push, hoping to pass in those situations instead. I get excited just thinking about that.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
The Jerry Jones Offseason Plan
Resign Spencer to a new, long term deal.
Restructure and extend Romo
Restructure Carr

This will get the team more or less in line with the salary cap.

Free Agency: Resign Sterling Moore to be the 4th corner/S. Resign Felix Jones as the second RB.

The coaching staff will basically remain the same. Callahan will be designed OL coach only and Cam Cameron will be brought in as OC.

Free and Parnell will have an open competition going into training camp. The loser will be the swing tackle. The team will count on the return of Costa from injury, the increased competition between Arkin, Leary, Bernadeau and Livings as well as additional time learning Callahan's scheme to improve the performance of the offensive line. The team might look to bring in a guard or center as competition via the draft, but want to avoid progress stoppers for the young talent on the line, plus the trade for Cook really improved the center depth.

Safety play will benefit from the return of Church and Matt Johnson to go along with Sensabaugh. In addition, they have some young guys like McCray and Moore.

Draft:

1. Shariff Floyd - DT - Florida - The team likes the advantage that an undersized nose brings to the table.
2. Da'Rick Rogers - WR - Tennessee Tech - Romo friendly (alternate: Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State or an LB, preferably an injured one)
3. Sean Porter - LB - Texas A&M (in case you don't get another LB in 2, alternate: Jordan Reed, TE, Florida)
4. Denard Robinson - WR - Michigan - This is where Dallas likes to draft guys with a lot of athleticism/small school project guys
5. Micah Hyde - CB/S - Iowa - Need to replace Jenkins. Waves of corners like the Giants do with DL
6. Jeff Baca - OG - UCLA - Need some competition on the OL

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have faith that the right OL pieces are in place? We've almost cornered ourselves (no pun intended) into a situation that we have to draft fairly heavy on both lines. With the loss of Brent and not knowing what Crawford can do, we are a mess along the DL.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Hire offensive coordinator.

Upgrade at least two positions on the offensive line. Free and Berny. Parnell is not the answer. Neither is that stiff that they brought up from the practice squad a few weeks ago.

Find a DT.

Add a pass rusher, two if you let Spencer walk.

Upgrade at least one of the safety positions.

That would have this team in serious contention.

Too bad it would take 5 years to get those holes filled with this front office.

Reaction score
Junk... Da'Rick Rogers has Terrell Owens talent, but is NOT an RKG.

We won't touch him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Free Agency: Resign Sterling Moore to be the 4th corner/S. Resign Felix Jones as the second RB.

Moore is under contract, he signed a 2yr deal when we plucked him off the NE practice squad.

Frampton (who played pretty well, especially on ST) and Peprah are both free agents though.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Junk... Da'Rick Rogers has Terrell Owens talent, but is NOT an RKG.

We won't touch him.

Moore is under contract, he signed a 2yr deal when we plucked him off the NE practice squad.

Frampton (who played pretty well, especially on ST) and Peprah are both free agents though.

Good calls especially on Moore, I should have known that.

My post was entirely in jest of course, but I do think "RKG" has some flexibility.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Good write-up dbair. You knocked this out of the park.

I've been calling for us to go back to the 4-3 for over a year now. If we are not going to run that defense correctly, it needs to be scrapped. Enough of this undersized NT bullshit. We had a very good player in Ratliff, who could have been vialble and productive for us at least a few more year had we placed him at 3-4 DE; but instead he has gotten worn down, and if now oft-injured, and is not living up to his contract. He's pretty much a spent cartridge. This is one of the main problems with Jerry. In thinking that he is a "football guy", he also thinks he's an innovator and a trend-setter. So he goes about being contrarian and defying conventional wisdom or common sense, just so that he can get some publicity.

I also feel that by going to the 4-3, there would be less of a need/urgency to franchise Spencer. Let him walk.

If Chance Warmack is available at 18, we take him. Otherwise we trade down into the late 20's and take his teammate Barrett Jones and fix the C positon for a decade. By moving down 10-12 spots, we pick up an additional 2nd rd pick as well. One of the 2nd rd picks will be a starting safety, the other will be our QB of the future. If they dont draft Warmack in first, either our 3rd or 4th rd pick will be another interior OL prospect (I like Alvin Bailey from Arkansas) and the other will be a DL, most likely a DE with pass rushing skill. We'll add another CB and maybe another DL with our other picks.

I'm on the Warmack bandwagon, but I'm also for trading down and getting an extra 2nd rounder. In that scenario, I'd draft Barrett Jones (Center) Alabama. With the two 2nds, I'd draft Margus Hunt (DE) SMU and Sylvester Williams (DT) North Carolina.

With the 3rd I'd draft Alvin Bailey (OG) Arkansas. With the 4th I'd draft Josh Evans (FS) Florida.

I'd like a 4-3 Dline of Ware - RDE DT - Williams DT - Hatcher Hunt - LDE. You can have Lissemore, Bass, as backup DTs, and Crawford as backup DE.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
. Enough of this undersized NT bullshit. .

This is another reason to switch to the 4-3. if they dont, they have got to acquire a starting NT either in the draft or free agency. Its another hole that MUST be filled.

That combined with the 10 mils to franchise Spencer (assuming he's tagged in lieu of a long term deal) are two very good arguments for going back to the 4-3.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The move to a 4-3 is logical IMHO, but about three years too late. I think Rat coulda been an All Pro 3-tech.

I like the plan, db. Just don't see much of it happening.

Top Bottom