junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Let's assume some worst case scenarios:

1. Garrett returns
2. Jerry gives the team a pass due to injury and brings back this same basic core
3. Kiffin gets a pass
4. Callahan is this year's fall guy (not necessarily a bad thing, but someone has to be the sacrificial lamb)

The team will be roughly $21 million over the cap to start the offseason.
1. Max restructure Romo (~$11 million over)
2. Max restructure Carr (~5.7 million over)
3. Max restructure Scandrick (~2.7 million over)
4. Max restructure Witten (~$350K in cap space)
5. Cut Austin (~$750K in cap room) - could do June 1st, but I'm trying to limit my overages in 2015
6. Max restructure Lee (~4.5 million in cap space) - this should be enough to sign your rookies
7. Cut Costa (~$6 million in cap space)
8. Cut Durant (~7.3 million in cap space)

That'd put 2015 at about $6.8 million in cap space, however, you'd only have 26 players under contract and you'd be missing guys like Dez Bryant, Tyron Smith, DeMarco Murray and Bruce Carter. Dallas does have a 2014 option on Tyron Smith which is about $9 million. You'd also have to account for the 2014 rookies which would probably be about $4.5 to $5 million.

The wild card is Ware. A max restructure in 2014 gives the team about another $12.5 million in cap space, but balloons his 2015 cap number to $20 million (and drops the 2015 cap space to about $4 million). My guess is Jerry/Stephen do the max restructure and worry about it again in 2015.

So, after rookies, assume about $11 million in cap space to work with.

Coaching Staff:
1. Promote Pollack to OL coach
2. OC - Linehan if he's ousted in Detroit? I don't like it, but we won't get anyone good if Garrett stays.

Free Agents:
Ziggy Hood - might be better in a 4-3
Kenny Britt - talented, young and should come cheap - comes with baggage though
MJD or McFadden - whoever I could get on a low dollar deal

Draft is defense heavy:
1. Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
2. Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt
3. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
4. Ty Zimmerman, FS, Kansas State
5. Jimmie Ward, SS, Northern Illinois
7. Tim Flanders, RB, Sam Houston State
7. Marcus Williams, CB, North Dakota State
7. James Morris, LB, Iowa

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think Garrett is back if we lose Sunday, and might not even be back with a win followed by a blowout playoff loss. I also think its a lock Kiffin retires, and Callahan is a goner.

Don't like any of the free agent signings really, especially the RB and WR

We'll be drafting a QB somewhere in 2014, my guess is somewhere in first 3 rounds

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
To hell with Britt, he's a head case. I'd start Terrance Williams over Austin no matter what. I'd even give Harris a try too.

Captain Hamstring needs to be gone though. I also don't believe if Garrett returns that we get rid of Callahan. The defense was the biggest problem whether it was due to injury or bad coaching. We don't have enough talent defensively.

Kiffin will get a pass because he hasn't had the same 11 guys on defense game after game this year. And there's no way we go after MJD or McFadden because of the cap. Jerry's happy with Murray. I agree we go heavy on defense through the draft and free agency. If Kiffin for some reason does retire then look for Jerry to promote Marinelli to DC.

Reaction score
I know it's probably unavoidable because of this clusterfuck we call cap management, but I really really really hate the idea of restructuring Romos contract any more.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I know it's probably unavoidable because of this clusterfuck we call cap management, but I really really really hate the idea of restructuring Romos contract any more.

Right, and not to mention we don't know the severity of his injury.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I admit I haven't kept up with our cap details in a while. But did I read that right? Costa at 6 million? And Durant at 7.3? WTF?

Reaction score
Cutting Ware has to make more sense than giving him more money guaranteed, even in Jerry World.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That was a running total of cap space available with the cuts

I know, but how in the world could those two spares possibly take up that much cap in the first place.

Edit, after looking at that OTC site maybe I'm still missing something.

I think we almost have to cut Ware, don't we? Sad, but that's the spot we've put ourselves in. And if he's too beat up to ever be good again, it's not even that sad.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We're 21-25 million over the projected cap right for next yr, I posted an article the other day with a lot of very detailed cap stuff for players...it was written by a former agent or something who I guess keeps up with all this

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
We are fine cap wise. We have plenty of room to kick the problems down the road again and again. Every year is Armageddon and yet every year we sign free agents and retain the players we want. The $7 million in dead Rat money sucks but it is not a deal breaker. Even if Romo never plays again we will be fine cap wise. Trust me. Several brilliant minds on this very forum have explained this over and over.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
To hell with Britt, he's a head case. I'd start Terrance Williams over Austin no matter what. I'd even give Harris a try too.

I'm in no way advocating Britt as a starter. However, as you can see, this team has no money. So, you need to find veterans that will be cheap. Britt will only be 26 to start the season and has shown flashes. Seems like a good type to bring in for depth on a "show me" type deal.

But, yes, the core of your WR corps is going to be Dez, Williams, Beasley and Harris (who I think can be a much, much bigger part of the offense with a more creative mind running the show). However, all those guys tend to get dinged up, so you need depth.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Cutting Ware has to make more sense than giving him more money guaranteed, even in Jerry World.

He's really the key to your long term cap stability. You can cut him and save money on the cap this year. I'd try to trade him for something although I just don't know if anyone would bite. You could also try a salary reduction a la Doug Free too.

If you rid yourself of Ware, you're even thinner on DL. The DL free agent market doesn't look great either.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I know, but how in the world could those two spares possibly take up that much cap in the first place.

Edit, after looking at that OTC site maybe I'm still missing something.

I think we almost have to cut Ware, don't we? Sad, but that's the spot we've put ourselves in. And if he's too beat up to ever be good again, it's not even that sad.

I think Costa only makes like $1.5 million, but you get all of that as savings if you cut him. Durant is something like 1.25 million in savings.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Another article posted yesterday said we could save even more money by extending Dez.

I don't think very much. Getting a long term deal done for Tyron Smith is important so he doesn't play under that one year option

Top Bottom