dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
More fucking Goodell FAIL. Teams cant keep players healthy enough for 16 games, now there's going to be a 17th.

And yeah, adding more 8-8 teams to the playoffs seems like a great idea.

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement likely includes a 17-game regular season.
The agreement would scale back the preseason and could come with an expansion of the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams, Maske adds. Unlike an increase in regular-season games, though, expansion of the postseason does not require the union’s approval.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
How is a 14 team playoff going to bracket out?
Highest ranked team gets a bye in each conference.
6 teams out in 1st round, leaves 8 teams and so on.
So pretty much the same way as now but with more games overall.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Highest ranked team gets a bye in each conference.
6 teams out in 1st round, leaves 8 teams and so on.
So pretty much the same way as now but with more games overall.

so instead of 2 teams getting a bye like now, there would only be one, thats the only way I can see it making sense which I think is what you're saying IIUC

Biggems74

Dr. Pepper or Die
Reaction score
I have been asking for this new playoff format for over a decade now. It made no sense to talk about revenue, revenue, revenue and have 2 bye teams per conference, why reward 2nd place? 7 teams always made sense. 6 games on Wild Card weekend, 4, then 2, then the SB. I don't want 17 games, either keep it at 16 or make it 18. I am happy with 16.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I have been asking for this new playoff format for over a decade now. It made no sense to talk about revenue, revenue, revenue and have 2 bye teams per conference, why reward 2nd place? 7 teams always made sense. 6 games on Wild Card weekend, 4, then 2, then the SB. I don't want 17 games, either keep it at 16 or make it 18. I am happy with 16.

17 or 18 games are both stupid ideas. The players cant stay healthy for 16 games.

I don't want to see a league where mediocre shit teams that go 7-9 or 8-9 (under the proposed 17 games) or whatever get into the playoffs and make runs to the Super Bowl all the time just because they got lucky with key player injuries, vs really good teams that might have had a slew of season ending injuries.

I also hate the idea of more teams in the playoffs, for exactly the same reason.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
17 or 18 games are both stupid ideas. The players cant stay healthy for 16 games.

I don't want to see a league where mediocre shit teams that go 7-9 or 8-9 (under the proposed 17 games) or whatever get into the playoffs and make runs to the Super Bowl all the time just because they got lucky with key player injuries, vs really good teams that might have had a slew of season ending injuries.

I also hate the idea of more teams in the playoffs, for exactly the same reason.

Yep, NFL PR department already working on a boilerplate
"Courageous Underdog" story for the inevitable sub .500 regular season Super Bowl™ winner.

Top Bottom